Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Thank God for warranty!!Bad rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 12:37 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thank God for warranty!!Bad rear end

I had posted a thread a while ago about what I thought was tire noise. Bass type sound when decelerating around 55mph. Dealer thought it was tires so I got new goodyears(Other tires were about done). Noise was still there.
I took a tech for ride today and they determined it is THE REAR END. THEY ARE REPLACING ENTIRE REAR END!Car is a 2001 GS430 with ONLY 23000 miles. I can olny imagine what it would cost if not covered!!
I hope this fixes prob. I am pretty confident it will.

Has anyone else had this prob?
Let me know
Old 09-09-04, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

You mean a bad differential?
Old 09-09-04, 02:47 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

yup
Old 09-09-04, 03:16 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad this worked out for you chuck

hope it's the noise ....
Old 09-09-04, 06:46 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the first bad rear end I have heard about. Felt strange saying that. I can do more than imagine what it would cost as anyone that has installed an LSD has paid it.

Anyway, hope this fixes your problems.
Old 09-09-04, 06:58 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

they said they are replacing whole assembly. I think that's more than just the LSD. I thought it was wierd for rear diff to be bad already too.(22K) The average driver probably would not have even noticed noise. But I did and so did tech(Thankfully!)I am second owner and rich lady that had it before doubtfully ragged it,
I don't mind them throwing new parts at it as long as it's covered. I do hope this fixes though
My local Lexus dealer has been great to work with.(Sarasota Lexus)
Old 09-09-04, 09:39 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Well, the D in LSD is for differential. If they are replacing the whole assembly that's the equivelent of the Supra 3.76 swap. And I'll bet they are replacing it because it's far cheaper to replace than repair. Anyway, good luck.
Old 09-11-04, 06:55 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us up to date on this Chuck. I'm VERY curious if this solves your problem.

Doug
Old 09-11-04, 07:01 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

No prob- My appointment is thursday at 8:00 am. I'm getting a loaner but should have my car back that day.
Old 09-13-04, 10:51 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 02 GS300.. When i first bought it new in 2002, after driving only 5,500 miles on my car, i notice some (couple of drops) fluid leak in the floor comming from my car. Took it to Longo Lexus and had the tech checked it out and they told me i had a bad tranny. For the solution my service tech told me that they will replace my transmission and differential. Out of curiousity i asked the service tech how much it would of cost if i didnt have warranty. Surprisingly he told me $7500.00 for parts not including labor. I was so relief i bought the car new. Ever since i havent seen a drop of fluid on my garage floor.

My suggestion to anyone out there with new car or still covered under warranty: take advantage of your warranty or else u'll be paying for repairs that should of been taking care of by ur dealership under warranty. I had my headlights housing replace due to moisture, had my sunroof assembly replaced due to wind noise, had my driver side window weather strip replaced due to wind noise. Had my idler controller replace due to low idueing on a full stop. I some happy with lexus service. Every single time i went in without any appointment and i still got a lexus loaner everytime. Even for a simple oil change. Juss bring in your car around 7pm and they will send u home with a loaner car.

Tommy
Old 09-14-04, 05:56 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

tommy-how did the window weather strip replacement work out. I think that's one of my next warranty jobs. I get wind noise starting about 50mph. Did it look as good as factory and did it help?
thanks
chuck
Btw-I agree with taking full advantage of warranty while you can. My car is covered until april 2005 so I have eagle eyes and ears just lookin for issues.I bet alot of people just deal with things they could have had fixed under warranty for free.
Old 09-14-04, 01:26 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by chuckb
tommy-how did the window weather strip replacement work out. I think that's one of my next warranty jobs. I get wind noise starting about 50mph. Did it look as good as factory and did it help?
thanks
chuck
Btw-I agree with taking full advantage of warranty while you can. My car is covered until april 2005 so I have eagle eyes and ears just lookin for issues.I bet alot of people just deal with things they could have had fixed under warranty for free.
Chuck: after replacing the window weather strip, all the wind noise was gone. Lexus dealership only uses OEM parts, after replacing the weather strip i couldnt tell they replaced it cuz it look original. so dont worry if it wont look like a factory. You should do it and juss complaint to them and they'll replace it.

Tom

Last edited by Lexus GS3; 09-14-04 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-16-04, 05:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Dealer put new rear diff and driver side half shaft in today.(would have been $2600 retail for parts) Sound is totally gone My old one had "excessive clearance" and was causing bass type sound.
Also did trans fluid change and oil change for $120 total. My dealer is great.
Old 09-16-04, 11:32 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Glad to hear your issues were addressed.
Old 09-17-04, 01:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, weird that the rear end is causing problem, but it's glad that problem is fixed

should have just asked them for a brand new supra tt lsd, even better

Quick Reply: Thank God for warranty!!Bad rear end