Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wheel play?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04 | 08:15 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel play?

Hey there guys, Just curious if anyones front passenger side wheel is kinda loose, Like if you jack it off the ground you can move it left and right slightly, it looks like the steering linkage moves with it..... Is this normal? The drivers side doesn't do it at all... Any suggestions would be great... Thanks in advance... Bryan
Old 09-12-04 | 12:22 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might have a bad rack and pinion bushing. When you drive the car, is there any play in the steering wheel?
Old 09-12-04 | 12:55 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Yup..

I noticed when I make a left turn it pulls fast but when trying to make a right it is kind of sluggish... Rack and pinion bushing? Would this also cause the Tie rod to move in and out also? My steering wheel is also crocked, Its tilted right when I am going straight? Err.. Its very frustrating...
Old 09-12-04 | 05:39 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Yup..

Originally posted by Bryan858
I My steering wheel is also crocked, Its tilted right when I am going straight?
that is wheel play. Go get your rack and pinion bushings changed. It will correct that problem. Bushings are about $35 each and you only need 2. Labor will be expensive though.
Old 09-12-04 | 07:21 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Thanks for the replies kaotiq,

Where exactly will the bushings go? At the inside end of the steering linkage thats conected to the Tie rod? Is it 2 per side or 2 one for the left and 1 for the right?
Old 09-12-04 | 09:56 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Also,

Is the 35$ bushings from lexus? Do you happen to know the part numbers? Thanks so much.... Bryan
Old 09-12-04 | 10:01 PM
legendary
Racer

contact Steve Ganz aka SUPRATRD.

He should be able to help you
Old 09-12-04 | 10:14 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Thanks Legend,

Is that his sn? Can I pm SUPRATRD?
Old 09-13-04 | 06:10 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thanks Legend,

Originally posted by Bryan858
Is that his sn? Can I pm SUPRATRD?
Yes it is, and you can..
Old 09-13-04 | 01:06 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Thanks johnee, I PM'd hims so now I am just awaiting his response...
Old 09-13-04 | 01:15 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Steering Bushings VS. Rack and pinion Bushings?

Hey there guys, after reading some of the old threads I confused myself so much more.... Are the Steering bushings and the Rack and pinion Bushings the same? Which one do I need to correct my problem?
Old 09-13-04 | 03:09 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Hmm, guess its kinda slow here today..

Well anyways I've just been thinking and realized if it were the steering rack bushings then the drivers side should also have play but it doesn't. I also did not notice that the whole rack was moving just the inner and outter tie rods on the passenger side. can anyone please check theres to see if they can also move it about a .25-.5" horizontaly? Is there anything in the steering rack itself that we can service?
Old 09-13-04 | 05:59 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My money is on the inner tie rod end.

This happens a lot on the passenger side because that's the side that takes the brunt of curbs the most. You can change the whole rack or service the inner rack end. I think it may be easier to change the whole thing tho.

Also, your wheel bearing may be bad. If the play only happens as you tug at the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock, then I'd say steering issue. If you rotate 90 degrees and pull on the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and there's still play, it's a bearing. Bearings go out on the passenger side more often for the same reasons mentioned above.

In my Celica, I curbed the front passenger wheel by accident making a U-turn and I had the same exact symptoms you describe. I changed the rack as the play was within it (as you describe) and the problem was solved. Your steering wheel is cocked to one side because the wheel was hit and the tie rod end was tweaked. The alignment is waaay out, that's why the car handles different. You can't align the car the way it is due to the play in the system.

Have you taken any hits to the left front tire lately? It doesn't take much to knock things out up there. If not, maybe you lent the car to someone that won't fess up?

Change the rack, align the car, good to go.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-04 | 06:10 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CleanSC
My money is on the inner tie rod end.

This happens a lot on the passenger side because that's the side that takes the brunt of curbs the most. You can change the whole rack or service the inner rack end. I think it may be easier to change the whole thing tho.

Also, your wheel bearing may be bad. If the play only happens as you tug at the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock, then I'd say steering issue. If you rotate 90 degrees and pull on the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and there's still play, it's a bearing. Bearings go out on the passenger side more often for the same reasons mentioned above.

In my Celica, I curbed the front passenger wheel by accident making a U-turn and I had the same exact symptoms you describe. I changed the rack as the play was within it (as you describe) and the problem was solved. Your steering wheel is cocked to one side because the wheel was hit and the tie rod end was tweaked. The alignment is waaay out, that's why the car handles different. You can't align the car the way it is due to the play in the system.

Have you taken any hits to the left front tire lately? It doesn't take much to knock things out up there. If not, maybe you lent the car to someone that won't fess up?

Change the rack, align the car, good to go.

Good luck.
im kinda along the same lines as bryan858. Not only do i have wheel play, i have a whining, loud humming power steering issue. I know it cant be the pump because i recently had it changed. So im guess it is the rack and pinion like him unless anyone else has a different opinion?
Old 09-13-04 | 06:43 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Thanks CleanSC,

You hit it right on the nose, only free play is at 3+9 not 12+6, great way to describe by the way rather than horizontal.... I guess I'll just have to save up and replace the whole rack... I didn't hit any curbs and I only noticed it after putting my stock rims back in after lowering it, I did not have any problems after the drop and new 17" rims but I recently put my stock rims back on and then the problem started... I might open it up this weekend and try to come up with a fix other than replacing... If I do I will definetly post and let everyone know so that thoose with the same problem can save some time and money... Thanks again guys...
Kaotiq, your power steering belt might just be to tight... Its usually the cause for noise, especially if you just replaced it because it may have been over tightned when reinstalled... Hope this helps you out... Steering issues are no fun at all... Are you planning on replaceing the whole rack and pinion set? Keep me updated on what you do to fix....

Quick Reply: Wheel play?