Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Questions about Daizen Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 10:07 AM
nuocmam122
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Daizen Sway Bars?

I have a question about these sway bars.. I heard when you have really thick sway bars, you should get springs or I'm gussing more likely coilovers with higher springs rates to compensate for the thickness (stiffness) of the sway bar.. because if not, I heard the car might hop on one wheel on a turn due the sway bar thickness (stiffness). So with that in mind, my eibach springs and tokico shocks would not be good enough huh?

Last edited by nuocmam122; 09-29-04 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-01-04, 07:31 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question...I have Espelir springs with Tokicos....would liek to know if the sway bars would be good for me or not....
Old 10-03-04, 01:40 PM
Chris4.3
Lead Lap

I haven't hopped on any turn but maybe the 275's have something to do with it? Anyway, I have Espelirs too and the Daizen sways doesn't hurt at all. GET 'EM!!!
Old 10-06-04, 06:51 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Thicker sway bars are only going to make the car sit more level in a corner and transfers spring force to the loaded side. I see no reason the car should hop. It may three wheel with a good set of tires but I doubt hop. But this is common on many factory cars with sticky tires.
Old 10-07-04, 06:55 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by qtb33
Thicker sway bars are only going to make the car sit more level in a corner and transfers spring force to the loaded side. I see no reason the car should hop. It may three wheel with a good set of tires but I doubt hop. But this is common on many factory cars with sticky tires.
best and most accurate answer.

the stiffer spring rate you give the car the more it's going to hop.

example.

horse drawn carriage of the old west. Had no springs or shocks it was just bolted on to the chasis and it bounced around all over the place. Then came the leaf springs which made the wheels stick to the ground over rough surfaces.

hope this helped.
Old 10-29-04, 12:46 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Questions about Daizen Sway Bars?

Originally posted by nuocmam122
I have a question about these sway bars.. I heard when you have really thick sway bars, you should get springs or I'm gussing more likely coilovers with higher springs rates to compensate for the thickness (stiffness) of the sway bar.. because if not, I heard the car might hop on one wheel on a turn due the sway bar thickness (stiffness). So with that in mind, my eibach springs and tokico shocks would not be good enough huh?
my cars only started hopping with coilovers on driveways, suspension travel is limited so during full suspension compression, one side of the axle is lifted off of the ground.
Old 10-29-04, 01:37 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Questions about Daizen Sway Bars?

Originally posted by carnal_c30
my cars only started hopping with coilovers on driveways, suspension travel is limited so during full suspension compression, one side of the axle is lifted off of the ground.
I believe what you are talking about isn't wheel hop but rather wheel lift. Lift if from a rigid chassis/suspension and limited travel as you pointed out.

Wheel hop is from large laterial loads such as aggressive cornering, or acceleration(power) to the drive wheels.

Wheel lift may also be caused from aggresive cornering if you get the vehicle to "roll" enough in the corner, causing the inside tire to be picked up off the ground.