Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What 1st Suspension Mod did you notice biggest difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 12:59 AM
Vitmn R
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 1st Suspension Mod did you notice biggest difference?

Trying to decide where to start modifing my suspension.. I am looking for a much more solid, stiffer, and sporty ride.. I plan on replacing all the bushings and adding a set of 18's with good tires soon. Just trying to find a starting point with my SC...
Kev
Old 10-05-04, 02:24 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Tein Flex

Coilovers totally changed the characteristics of my car. It took away the boaty feeling and eliminated almost all the body roll although the ride got harsher.
Old 10-05-04, 03:12 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I noticed a big difference when i put on some supra wheels with 245's in the front and 275's in the rear it made a big differance over the stock 215's all around. there is almost no body roll now. A good set of wide staggered wheels with high disk setup(so you can fit some big brakes in the future) along with the teins and perhaps get some dazien sway bar bushings or just upgrade the sway bars should be enough. also consider a trd strut bar.
Old 10-05-04, 06:30 PM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

coilovers would be the suspension mod hands down...It's the most expensive but if you plan on keeping your car for awhile...go for a good set! It will definitely give you the solid,stiffer, sporty ride your looking for...Did you do the suspension on the TYPE-R you owned before?

-Mike
Old 10-05-04, 11:33 PM
Vitmn R
Rookie

Do the Tokico 5-way adjustable struts made for MKIV Supra directly fit onto a Sc300?
Old 10-06-04, 12:33 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

the tokico's do fit but you will need supra springs with it. I would recommend the tein basic coilovers instead. it will cost you about the same amount as the tokico's and springs. I got mine for $641 shipped they are only made for the mkvi supra, but the good news is the mkvi supra suspension is interchangable with the sc. please do a search to find out my information about the tein basics or other suspensions you may be interested in for that matter.
Old 10-06-04, 05:21 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say go for the daizen sway bars first..... those made the biggest improvement from what i noticed... currently i have eibach/tokicos, daizen sway bars, and daizen polyurethane control arm bushings all around... the sway bars gave the whole car an increased feeling of stability even when just driving straight over small bumps... no way harsh or anything just more stable and together... the polyurethane bushings gave an increase in feel that could be compared i guess to going a lower profile tire.... as for lowering with eibach/tokicos... the only thing i really noticed with lowering with springs/shocks is a slightly stiffer ride and some increased handling, nothing like the sway bars tho.... my vote is for the sway bars

also, i'm still running stock size tires so maybe that gives a better impression of the polyurethane bushings.
Old 10-07-04, 05:16 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes my opinion is go for the coilovers and the EDFC !!
Old 10-07-04, 06:52 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have pretty much all the suspension mods there are available for the SC.

Daizen Sway bars hands down. Best bang for the buck suspension mod, no questions asked, don't even think twice about it, it's going to kick **** suspension mod.

just sway bar it!
Old 10-07-04, 05:08 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't wanna fork out too much at the moment, try a set of bigger swaybars... I think this is what I should've gotten first lol
Old 10-07-04, 09:40 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Why not remove the stock bars and do one of two things.

1. Take stock bars and get the ends pressed flat and a couple new holes drilled, so they can be adjusted to a stiffer setting. And replace the bushings.
2. Get supra TT sway bars front and rear. Make sure to get the end links. Some are interchangeable with the SC and some are completely different. And the mounting bracket for the rear bar is important too. At the same time have the ends of the stock supra bars flattened and drilled for adjustablity. There should be no contact with abs sensors which is a Big problem with big bars and supras.

Those are the cheapest routes I've found.
just my 02
Old 10-08-04, 08:16 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get stiffer sways. My first mod was the polyurethane sway bushings from Daizen. Good cheap mod ($30) and made a noticeable, if not significant, difference. Get a good set of used Supra MKIV sways (you need the subframe mounts off the Supra for the rear bar) and a set of links at all four corners. Installation is DIY and a used set with subframe mount and links should run you maybe $150-$250. For more $$$ get the Daizen sway kit for the SC. The numbers I read on this board (just from memory) is that the Supra sways are about 25% stiffer and the Daizens are more than double that. Plus you won't need new end links and the subframe mount. But I agree that new sways give you the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to cornering, plus you keep that smooth ride since your suspension is unchanged. Don't know how heavy the Daizens are, though. The Supra sways don't weigh that much more than stock. the rear bar is smaller, but you have to add the mounts...
Old 10-08-04, 11:56 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by T0ked
Don't know how heavy the Daizens are, though. The Supra sways don't weigh that much more than stock. the rear bar is smaller, but you have to add the mounts...
I understand the Daizen sways are very heavy. VERY....and thick.

...and they cost $500

Last edited by mikeloc24; 10-09-04 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-09-04, 02:44 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each thing you change will make a difference, but the biggest would probably be either the Supra tt shocks, or the TT rear swaybar. BTW the front bars are the same for Supra, TT and SC, take a look at an interchange book sometime and see for yourself, I bought some front TT swaybar bushings that won't squeak (have a liner inside)from Toyota recently also, highly recommended.
Old 10-09-04, 09:29 PM
Gixer 1000
Driver

I LOVE my tein cs coilovers !

Quick Reply: What 1st Suspension Mod did you notice biggest difference?