Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help with Daizen sways

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-04, 08:12 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by redgs4
All the Tom's braces can be purchased from Steve @ Carson. Can't comment on the Daizen's as I'm running the TRD's.
Thank You.
Old 10-08-04, 08:13 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Neo
Just curious. Are you running any lower front brace? Also, you might run into the problem of a link (in the 6-link) hitting your exhaust. It does not hit all exhausts but quite a few.
No front braces, just a STB and sway.

I have the Tanabe Medallion Exhausts. Is that going to be a problem?
Old 10-08-04, 08:16 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by BA_GS400
sounds like you've got it man. you cannot go wrong with that advice, it's a proven combination.

btw, since no one directly mentioned this, I'm compelled to. with your driving habit background, you may already know this..... *anytime* you lower the front of a car or bike it is going to A. turn in quicker. B. cause the rear to be slightly looser in corners.

certainly the LSD will "aid" in that feeling, and a quality set of fatter tires would actually keep the rear more planted, but, all in all, with the medium setting of the sway bar factored in, .....I don't think it's too surprising that you've got the driving sensation that you've got there.

Get those rear braces man, and get that swaybar set !! Times a wastin'!!!
At 3pm, we'll find out if the setting will help or not.

I'm seriously thinking that I should go ahead and get the Tom's pieces anyway. If it can only make the car handle better, I don't see too many "cons" so far. I'll probably be giving Steve a call first of next week, depending how much or how little the adjustment from later on today does.

Yall stay tuned.
Old 10-08-04, 11:31 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jmecbr900
No front braces, just a STB and sway.

I have the Tanabe Medallion Exhausts. Is that going to be a problem?
Yes. The Tom's Lower [closed] brace will not clear the resonators - you will have to get the open version or chop the resonators like I did. And the rear most link of the 6-link kit will also hit the exhaust on each side - you will either have to get a different exhaust, put spacers to keep the pipes from hitting [looks bad - pushes the cans and tips down away from the bumber] or shave the link down. I am currently runing spacers and considering a new exhaust.

Another theory for you... I have the ATS Carbon LSD, a clutch type LSD similar to the TRD. Did you properly break in your LSD? Do you have the right fluid/friction modifiers. Without proper break in the engagement between clutch plates can be rough and create a squirrely feeling under throttle while cornering. Again my personal experience.
Old 10-08-04, 12:23 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, be sure to get the "open" type RLCB to avoid any probs with clearing your exhaust. Here is a pic of mine so you can see where the problem would be.
I know this alone will really help your handling, but you might want to consider also adding the RSTB to really stiffen up the chassis at the rear.
Old 10-08-04, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by FutureGS400
Yeah, be sure to get the "open" type RLCB to avoid any probs with clearing your exhaust. Here is a pic of mine so you can see where the problem would be.
I know this alone will really help your handling, but you might want to consider also adding the RSTB to really stiffen up the chassis at the rear.
agree, not a lot of cars can use the closed type brace. i am happy that i have the closed type with apexi and no problem
Old 10-08-04, 08:30 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, to recap:

I need the "open" rear lower cross bar and 6 piece link.

Unfortunately, I can't use a Rear strut bar because I wasn't as smart as Dave and had my stereo stuff install around the strut bar.

I've set the rear sways at their stiffest setting so far. I haven't got a chance to push it, because I'm letting myself get used to that setting before I go pushing it. I also have a bad tire now and have to wait until monday to get a new one. I'll push it a little better then.
Old 10-09-04, 08:07 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally posted by rominl
agree, not a lot of cars can use the closed type brace. i am happy that i have the closed type with apexi and no problem
I'm curious- does the apexi exhaust have different resonators that allow the closed type brace to clear with no interference? Got any pics?
Old 10-11-04, 02:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Ok, to recap:

Unfortunately, I can't use a Rear strut bar because I wasn't as smart as Dave and had my stereo stuff install around the strut bar.

I've set the rear sways at their stiffest setting so far. I haven't got a chance to push it, because I'm letting myself get used to that setting before I go pushing it. I also have a bad tire now and have to wait until monday to get a new one. I'll push it a little better then.
yeah you need the open for sure

for the 6 links, just expect to get quite some annoying rattle when it hits the exhaust
Old 10-11-04, 02:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

I'm curious- does the apexi exhaust have different resonators that allow the closed type brace to clear with no interference? Got any pics?
hahaa actually guess what, the apexi does NOT have any resonators that helps huh

actually the brace will hit the exhuast on BOTH front and back slightly, coz' the piping on the apexi is pretty thick. however, putting a little washer and problem solved
Old 10-11-04, 10:55 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, to recap:

When you say the "stiffest setting" -what hole on the sway bar did you use to attach the link?
Old 10-11-04, 11:11 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

When you say the "stiffest setting" -what hole on the sway bar did you use to attach the link?
The first one closest to the middle of the bar.
Old 10-11-04, 11:17 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
hahaa actually guess what, the apexi does NOT have any resonators that helps huh

actually the brace will hit the exhuast on BOTH front and back slightly, coz' the piping on the apexi is pretty thick. however, putting a little washer and problem solved
Each exhaust is different. Some exhaust systems clear the Tom's brace with the resonators in place - the Tom's is the first that comes to mind. As to whether or not your exhaust will hit one or more parts of the 6-link kit, that again is an answer that varies by exhaust as each manufacturer has selected different points to place curves in the pipes and different mufflers with varying inlet points. The only way to know is to try it or ask someone who has tried it.
Old 10-11-04, 11:23 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
Each exhaust is different. Some exhaust systems clear the Tom's brace with the resonators in place - the Tom's is the first that comes to mind.
Carson Tuned is another.
Old 10-11-04, 12:00 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

The first one closest to the middle of the bar.
OK, that's the one I thought it should be. I'm going to do mine this week...

Quick Reply: Need help with Daizen sways