Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stainless Steel Brakelines

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 12:38 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brakelines

Hey guys,

I did a search and came up with nothing. Do stainless steel brakelines improve braking or is it a minimal effect? thanks,

Bryan
Old 10-11-04, 01:26 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Stainless Steel Brakelines

Originally posted by LexAristo
Hey guys,

I did a search and came up with nothing. Do stainless steel brakelines improve braking or is it a minimal effect? thanks,

Bryan
It improves the feel (reduce spongy mushy feel). Best way to describe this is when you depress the brake pedal it does not have the tendacy to move further down. This is related to the hot brake fluid expanding the rubber brake line hose (like a balloon) when the brake pedal is depressed.. Because the pedal does not move further it cause the brake caliper to engage sooner. More energy is transferred to the brake calipers than loosing to expanding the rubber hose. As for improve braking distance. Don't know. But I like the brake feel with the SS brakeline now then when stock brakeline.

Chu....

Last edited by ChuH; 10-11-04 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 02:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes it mostly improves the braking feel. the pedal will feel a lot firmer than stock
Old 10-12-04, 08:43 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
yes it mostly improves the braking feel. the pedal will feel a lot firmer than stock
I installed the Goodridge braided Stainless Steel brake lines on two of my cars. For the SC400 it made a very noticible change in the feel of the brake pedal. If I merely rest my foot on the brake I feel a braking response. As I begin to apply some pressure, the response is more immediate and the pedal travel is much less than with the stock lines. The difference is not nearly so dramatic with my GS400. Even with the braided lines the pedal contiues to feel somewhat soft to me, though the braking response with increased pressure/pedal travel is very good. I am told that this is characteristic of the braking system on the GS however.
Old 10-12-04, 08:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by DetMich1
I installed the Goodridge braided Stainless Steel brake lines on two of my cars. For the SC400 it made a very noticible change in the feel of the brake pedal. If I merely rest my foot on the brake I feel a braking response. As I begin to apply some pressure, the response is more immediate and the pedal travel is much less than with the stock lines. The difference is not nearly so dramatic with my GS400. Even with the braided lines the pedal contiues to feel somewhat soft to me, though the braking response with increased pressure/pedal travel is very good. I am told that this is characteristic of the braking system on the GS however.
that's interesting, never drove the sc before so i don't know. but it's true that the braking of the GS is very soft to begin with. the gs430 is a lot better though
Old 10-15-04, 12:58 AM
Wald GS

Thanks guys, goodridge, here I come. hahah
Old 10-15-04, 06:02 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Good choice, I think you will find that TM Engineering has a very good price on them, like $105 or so for the set (all four wheels).
Old 10-17-04, 05:39 PM
Wald GS

Originally posted by DetMich1
Good choice, I think you will find that TM Engineering has a very good price on them, like $105 or so for the set (all four wheels).
Thanks for the tip, but I have a friend who's selling them to me.
Old 10-18-04, 09:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got them on my car. It's mostly a feel/response thing, but very much worth it IMO.

I mean I haven't ever done a performance test, but unless the GS is special in some regard, I've never heard of a car's stopping distance improving due to stainless steel lines. They are used with most auto-cross or race type car (unless it's not allowed by the league) due to the improved response from the brakes, as well as their much improved resistance to fade/expansion/wearing out from heat. Then again that's really only an issue when the brake fluid gets superheated from constant panic-level stops in a racing environment and really shouldn't make a difference in daily driving unless you live on a mountain with a steep winding/twisting 20 mile road leading to work every day.