Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 01:13 AM
briancl83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about getting a set of H&R springs. 1.5 drop in the front and 1.3 drop in the back. I saw them on ebay. They are used but look okay for a newb like me. my question to you guys is, do you think it'll look clean with a set of 18's or 19's? because for now i have to save up some before i get new rims, so i'll be riding on my stocks for a while. let me know what you guys think?!?!?!
Old 10-19-04, 01:23 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to few guys here HR does not provide enough drop...good spring though
Old 10-19-04, 10:09 AM
gs3ee
Driver School Candidate

Default springs

Originally posted by GS4Will
to few guys here HR does not provide enough drop...good spring though
go with megan or tanabe springs
Old 10-19-04, 05:33 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the drop will look good with 19" and looks even better on 20". these springs have a little more drop then l-tunes which i think looks very good on 20".

make sure you change out your original shocks too.
Old 10-21-04, 11:12 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Springs

Originally posted by briancl83
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about getting a set of H&R springs. 1.5 drop in the front and 1.3 drop in the back. I saw them on ebay. They are used but look okay for a newb like me. my question to you guys is, do you think it'll look clean with a set of 18's or 19's? because for now i have to save up some before i get new rims, so i'll be riding on my stocks for a while. let me know what you guys think?!?!?!
H&R will probably be the worst riding thing you can do to your GS.

We do a lot of Tanabe and Eibach, everyone is happy with those. Tein also has some nice ones.
Old 10-21-04, 11:21 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Springs

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh

We do a lot of Tanabe and Eibach, everyone is happy with those. Tein also has some nice ones.

I disagree totatlly I ran H&R sport springs on my GS400 for some time before I got my Flex coilovers. I was very happy with the ride and the improved handling. I will attach some photos so that you can see the drop with 17" stock wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Springs-dsc04011.jpg  
Old 10-21-04, 11:22 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

hdhy
Attached Thumbnails Springs-dsc04013.jpg  
Old 10-21-04, 11:23 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

vjhf
Attached Thumbnails Springs-dsc04014.jpg  
Old 10-21-04, 11:23 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

,.m;'
Attached Thumbnails Springs-dsc04019.jpg  
Old 10-21-04, 11:24 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

fj
Attached Thumbnails Springs-dsc04025.jpg  
Old 10-21-04, 11:55 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Springs

Originally posted by morris
I disagree totatlly I ran H&R sport springs on my GS400 for some time before I got my Flex coilovers. I was very happy with the ride and the improved handling. I will attach some photos so that you can see the drop with 17" stock wheels.
That's funny, cuz I also ran H&R sport springs on my GS400 before going with the Daizen springs. There was a substantial difference in ride quality. The H&R springs are designed more for European Sport Sedans and thus are much harsher in ride quality. I was actually surprised at the difference in harshness. Of course, handling was equal in performance, so I don't really know why H&R made their springs so harsh?

Doublwhoosh knows his stuff, he's been installing suspension components for a ton of GS and he has experience with all kinds of flavors. JMHO

Brent
Old 10-21-04, 06:42 PM
briancl83
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Springs

Hey Double whoosh,
Thanks for the advice. And thank you to morris as well for the pictures. Where are you located Double whoosh. I was looking for someone that does a good job installing suspension springs. I decided to go with the eibach pro kit... my friend just took his off his gs300 and bought tein springs. Would the eibach pro kit on the 98 gs300 fit on the 98 gs400?
Old 10-21-04, 10:24 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by corkycal
make sure you change out your original shocks too.
I agree. Make sure you change the stock shocks when you change your springs because they'll blow out really quick and you'll have to get new shocks anyways. The difference here is that if you get the shocks and springs installed at the same time you'll save money on installation.
Old 10-21-04, 10:35 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Springs

Originally posted by briancl83
Hey Double whoosh,
Thanks for the advice. And thank you to morris as well for the pictures. Where are you located Double whoosh. I was looking for someone that does a good job installing suspension springs. I decided to go with the eibach pro kit... my friend just took his off his gs300 and bought tein springs. Would the eibach pro kit on the 98 gs300 fit on the 98 gs400?
We are in the Carson/South Bay area of LA. We have done more GS's than anyone anywhere, and we've tried every combination of this and that on those things

I agree that it is a good idea to do the shocks, or you will end up paying double labor later. And later won't be that far off! =\

We have had very good luck with either KYB's or Bilsteins, around 350 and 450 for those sets.

PM me or email me todd@tmengineering.net if you would like to set something up or if you have any more questions before you decide anything further.
Old 10-22-04, 12:30 AM
briancl83
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Springs

We are in the Carson/South Bay area of LA. We have done more GS's than anyone anywhere, and we've tried every combination of this and that on those things

I agree that it is a good idea to do the shocks, or you will end up paying double labor later. And later won't be that far off! =\

We have had very good luck with either KYB's or Bilsteins, around 350 and 450 for those sets.

PM me or email me todd@tmengineering.net if you would like to set something up or if you have any more questions before you decide anything further.
wow..
thats a 7 hour drive for me. Well thanks for your help. I think i'll probably get my shocks and springs installed up here. Not quite sure what im going to do with my suspension! Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply: Springs