Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake newbie need help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 06:17 PM
twankys
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake newbie need help please

I upgraded to ebc green stuff brake pads on my front tires and also put in stainless steel brake lines as well. i also have 20 inch wheels on my car and have had them on there for about 6 months and am starting to get bad vibration especially in front. i also am getting squelling from my brakes when i press them not hard but firm, but this problem usually goes away after i wash my car. first question is brake dust what causes the brakes to squeall or are my pads already wore down and need new ones? next question is i notice rust on my rotors (at least i think that is what they are, they are the piece that the brake actually squezzes up against to stop the car, could that be the cause of the squealling when i stop. ok now on to the vibration.....if i got my rotors grinded down would that stop the vibration? and for how long would that last with the big heavy wheels on there? and would i need to get all 4 of them done? and any ideas on price on that? next question would be to upgrade my brake system (and this is the way i am leaning right now, getting ready to take my wheels off for the winter so hopefully i can upgrade my brakes by spring. what would i need to buy to do this? i hear people talking about big brake kits...what does that mean? what parts of the brake system would i need to buy to upgrade them......rotors, calipers, pads? i really have no idea....i also hear people talking about drilled rotors what exactly does that mean. and what is the caliper? is that the piece that the actually brake pad sits in? any help on these would be appreciated. i have done a search but since i really dont understand the braking system i cant make sense of a lot that people have said. My overall goal by spring is to have more powerful braking for 20 inch wheels that will last and not vibrate....i also definately do not want any squealling from my brakes and as little brake dust as possible. the wheels are chrome thats why i went with the ebcs. so if you guys could tell me what you would suggest and fill me in more on the brakes and all its part i would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot
Old 10-19-04, 06:59 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brake newbie need help please

Originally posted by twankys
I upgraded to ebc green stuff brake pads on my front tires and also put in stainless steel brake lines as well. i also have 20 inch wheels on my car and have had them on there for about 6 months and am starting to get bad vibration especially in front. i also am getting squelling from my brakes when i press them not hard but firm, but this problem usually goes away after i wash my car. first question is brake dust what causes the brakes to squeall or are my pads already wore down and need new ones? next question is i notice rust on my rotors (at least i think that is what they are, they are the piece that the brake actually squezzes up against to stop the car, could that be the cause of the squealling when i stop. ok now on to the vibration.....if i got my rotors grinded down would that stop the vibration? and for how long would that last with the big heavy wheels on there? and would i need to get all 4 of them done? and any ideas on price on that? next question would be to upgrade my brake system (and this is the way i am leaning right now, getting ready to take my wheels off for the winter so hopefully i can upgrade my brakes by spring. what would i need to buy to do this? i hear people talking about big brake kits...what does that mean? what parts of the brake system would i need to buy to upgrade them......rotors, calipers, pads? i really have no idea....i also hear people talking about drilled rotors what exactly does that mean. and what is the caliper? is that the piece that the actually brake pad sits in? any help on these would be appreciated. i have done a search but since i really dont understand the braking system i cant make sense of a lot that people have said. My overall goal by spring is to have more powerful braking for 20 inch wheels that will last and not vibrate....i also definately do not want any squealling from my brakes and as little brake dust as possible. the wheels are chrome thats why i went with the ebcs. so if you guys could tell me what you would suggest and fill me in more on the brakes and all its part i would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot
twankys, long time no see...

EBC green stuff pads are known to cause squealing. Some have it, some don't. Yes, sometimes brake dust can cause squealing from what I've been reading on the supra forums.

Rust on rotors after it rains is normal for those rotors. it goes away, but does not cause squealing, since when you drive, they go away from normal braking.

is the vibration only when braking? or driving at high speeds? it could mean that your tire guy didn't balance your wheels right. prices for turning the rotors should be roughly $10-20 per rotor depending on where you go.

big brake kits are that, larger brake kits. you need high disk offset for the fronts. if you have no idea what i'm talking about , then you don't have them, and you cannot get the brake upgrade. i think i've told you this a while back ,no?

yes, calipers are the heavy things that the pads go in. LOL

oh yeah, if you want to upgrade to larger brakes, you will get a lot of dust, and some minor squealing, depending on which setup you go with. from the words of brembo, "tthat's the price of performance."

... my contribution...
Old 10-19-04, 07:46 PM
twankys
Driver

yea the vibration is only during braking....however i do need an alignment but i plan on doing that once my stock wheels are put back on. i had an old honda accord that had the same problem with the brakes vibrating bad and i had to get them grinded....is grinded and turning the same cause it doesnt sound the same? and i dont remember it being that cheap....if i remember right i think it was at least a couple hundred dollars to grind the rotors. as for the big brake kits do you mean offset of wheels or something else because my wheels are +42....and if you are talking about something else is there any way to get the high disk offset? and as for the squealling and brake dust those are the two things i really dont want so maybe just turning the rotors would be my best bet....would you agree? i would rather turn the rotors more frequently than have to deal with squealling and brake dust......you have any idea how often i would have to turn the rotors? im assuming the heavier the wheel the more frequent?

thanks for all the help
Old 10-19-04, 08:24 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by twankys
yea the vibration is only during braking....however i do need an alignment but i plan on doing that once my stock wheels are put back on. i had an old honda accord that had the same problem with the brakes vibrating bad and i had to get them grinded....is grinded and turning the same cause it doesnt sound the same? and i dont remember it being that cheap....if i remember right i think it was at least a couple hundred dollars to grind the rotors. as for the big brake kits do you mean offset of wheels or something else because my wheels are +42....and if you are talking about something else is there any way to get the high disk offset? and as for the squealling and brake dust those are the two things i really dont want so maybe just turning the rotors would be my best bet....would you agree? i would rather turn the rotors more frequently than have to deal with squealling and brake dust......you have any idea how often i would have to turn the rotors? im assuming the heavier the wheel the more frequent?

thanks for all the help
yeah, turning and grinding, same thing. and a couple hudred for that? jeez. better come with some women!

oh yeah, it has nothing to do with offset. if you don't have high disk, you can't add them on later. it's done when the rims are made. look at your rims now, is it touchign or almost touching the rotors? if yes, then you can't upgrade to larger brakes without getting new rims.

try turning the rotors first. or it could be the compound in the brake pads.
Old 10-20-04, 12:04 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

The vibration is during braking is due to your rotors warping. the problem will go away with new rotors or having your rotors turned. Also its some brake pads have been known to squealing.
I have a front pair of like new zinc plated cross drilled slotted rotors and axis metal brake pads that do not squeal and do not rust. let me know if your interested. I only swapped them out becuase i upgraded to big brakes and rotors. if your paying more than 100 to get the rotors turned your better off buying new ones.
Old 10-21-04, 08:12 PM
2jzsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by siaxazn
if your paying more than 100 to get the rotors turned your better off buying new ones.
100? people actually charge that much? We turn rotors at our shop for $5 bucks a pop..
Old 10-22-04, 05:39 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by 2jzsc3
100? people actually charge that much? We turn rotors at our shop for $5 bucks a pop..
Most I have ever seen/paid was 8 bux. Something is fishy there.