Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-04, 09:58 AM
twankys
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotors

i just got back from a shop and they were gonna charge me 22 bucks per rotor to grind them and that was the cheapest i found. well they took my wheels off and said they could not do them because they were undersized (i think thats what he said) and he would not be able to grind them down.......i dont know if he was just trying to get me to buy new rotors or what. they were gonna charge me almost 400 bucks for the rotors and he said with the aftermarket wheels he didnt know if the problem would come back or not? so do you think they are just feeding me bull or they really cant do it? or it would require more work and they werent wanting to do it for 22 bucks so they tried to get me to buy new rotors? also what causes the rotors to warp? is it heat? is that why people get cross drilled rotors to dissipate heat? are cross drilled and slotted rotors the same? thanks for the help
Old 10-23-04, 09:58 AM
twankys
Driver

sorry about that i meant to put this under my brake thread pushed the wrong button
Old 10-23-04, 12:37 PM
twankys
Driver

any one with cross drilled or slotted rotors for sale i would be interested ....i just want to find out the differences between the two......also would want the rotors that would be the least likely to warp....i have 20's so the wheels are pretty heavy......dont really do agressive driving though......any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
Old 10-23-04, 05:51 PM
twankys
Driver

ok need some opinions here.......which way should i go cross drilled....i heard that these have a tendency to warp easier? slotted....i heard this eat up brake pads quicker but are less likely to warp and really improve braking? or cross drilled /slotted.....but again the warping issue with cross drilled and also the slotted supposedly eat up brake pads quicker? please let me know of your experiences.......also on ebay someone is selling brembo rotors cross drilled and slotted for 240 bucks....seem like a scam? or i can get the irotors for 290 bucks...both are zinc plated but i am thinking the guy on ebay drills the holes himself.........so please help me out in your experiences in these issues

thanks
Old 10-28-04, 05:35 PM
greenspan
Driver School Candidate

get some ebc green stuffs and some of those ebay specials and u should be ok. If you wanna be REALLY cheap, A bud of mine swears by those pepboy Prostop rotors, and he successfully street races. ( I wouldnt go that way though) No drill or slot but lifetime warranty and no warp.
Old 10-28-04, 09:43 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I dont know if you'd be interested since your looking for a set of 4, but Im selling a front pair of cross drilled slotted zinc plated rotors from irotors and a front pair of axis metal brake pads for 115 shipped. they have about 1000 miles on them. then i did a big brake upgrade. From what i know those ebay rotors are fine. I haven't heard any issues with them yet.
Old 10-29-04, 04:36 PM
twankys
Driver

yea thanks for the offer but i went with the brembo cross dirlled and slotted off ebay for 240
Old 10-29-04, 05:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if performance driving is not your style, and you want to prevent warping, just get regular old blanks. Hopefully the ones you got were x-drilled correctly.
Old 10-29-04, 06:31 PM
twankys
Driver

yea i hope so to they said they used a special machine i cant remember the name but i asked some one on here if it looked legit and he said yea so i went with it and they have 100% positive feedback so....but the reason i went with crossdrilled slotted was cause i have 20s on there and spinners as well so there is a lot of weight there and hopefully my rotors will not warp as easily........the reason they could not turn my oem rotors was they were to thin and they were under lexus specifications.....so hopefully this will prevent or at least prolong the warping
Old 10-29-04, 06:51 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I would make sure none of the x-drilling went through any of the vanes for venting. 20" spinners are a lot of unsprung weight which means increased braking and suspension effort. I just have factory IS 17" on my ride and I went with regular Bradi blanks ($50 each) since I know I won't be auto x-ing anytime soon. Anyway, break them in correctly, and they should last a long time.