Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein Basic & Supra LCAs installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 01:16 AM
WestOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Basic & Supra LCAs installed

What a difference.

I had a set of Tein SS on my previous car, an '01 Civic, and this setup feels much better. There is almost no body roll until you intentionally push hard. The Supra LCAs solved my steering wheel vibration at 100-115km/h and provide more road feel to the steering wheel. Pavement cracks are much more audible now which can become annoying driving on rough downtown streets Over most surfaces, the setup is quite comfortable and seems to ride much more 'level' than the IS300 loaner I experienced.

I also had the timing & serpentine belts replaced, new power steering pump, alternator cleaned (the PS pump didn't kill it thankfully) AC converted to R134a, mobil 1 change, new RR caliper, new emergency brake shoes & cable and a loose sunroof control panel tightened up. The tech needed to replace both front swaybar endlinks and cut through some seized bolts bringing the total up to $3900 CDN which seemed reasonable.

Unless you're serious about racing the SC, spending more on a higher-end coilover is money better spent on Supra LCAs.
Old 10-24-04, 06:30 AM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

I am doing the same setup plus adding the Daizen sway bars,just waiting on the sway bars..
How much lower than stock did you set the tein basics? I assume the lower you set them the rougher the ride gets?
Old 10-24-04, 04:26 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The roll centers for front and rear suspensions will get rapidly farther from the vehicle(lower) as the control arm's angle changes from a level position.
In other words, the occupants heads will tend to be tossed from side to side over bumps when the car is more than an inch lower than stock, regardless of how smooth or bone-jarring the ride actually is. I don't like the effect because it also tends to make the car go into a slide easier unless the road is glass smooth.
I can usually find a point where the car looks cool, and still drives good on most cars.
Just my 2 cents anyways...
Old 10-24-04, 05:45 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

The tein basics ride pretty smooth, not too rough at all. But once i added the daizen sway bar bushings the ride got stiffer. when i went over big bumps my body would jump up off my seat. If your going for a smooth ride the factory bushings are your best bet.
Old 10-24-04, 05:57 PM
WestOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RTLEXSC
I am doing the same setup plus adding the Daizen sway bars,just waiting on the sway bars..
How much lower than stock did you set the tein basics? I assume the lower you set them the rougher the ride gets?
They have been set to the recommended setting. Not much lower than stock really -- -1.1 inch front and -0.7inch in the the rear. I don't have to worry about pulling out of most parking lots with the recommended setting.
Old 10-29-04, 08:37 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

siaxazn...how low can u adjust the coilovers... can u attain a 2" drop?