Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 06:59 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover adjustment?

What is the correct way of adjusting the stiffness of the coilover? I heard that when you adjust from the softest setting (all the way to the left), that this is the incorrect way of adjusting because of it being out of the coilover specs when it is all the way to the left? I heard that you were suppose to start from all the way to right (stiffest setting) and go 16 clicks (or however many adjustments your coilover has) to the left to obtain the softest setting. Anyone get what i'm trying to say?
Old 10-29-04, 07:05 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coilovers... yummy...

you can adjust it anyway you want. it's just what you prefer. I have TEin CS and it's on stiffest setting all the way around. comfy as hell.

i don't see how adjusting all the way to the left would put the coilover out of spec. you can adjust height and dampening, so i'm sure if a customer wanted to have it at its softest setting, it will be fine.

i would adjust it around 16 clicks first, then adjust according to the way you drive. having it at say, 10 clicks from softest will give ya a floaty feel if you know what i mean. sometimes having it too stiff is back breaking. depending on what coilovers you have.

when i first got my coilovers, i put it at 16, then i went up to 18. Now that i have Dubs, i went one click from the stiffest setting to prevent rubbing when hitting hard dips.

any more questions? feel free to post or PM.
Old 10-29-04, 10:08 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

if i set my coilovers to 16 stiffness, everything would probably break off in my car (nyc potholes). I can't afford the tein cs lol. What i ment by out of spec is from what i read there are more than 16 clicks when you adjust teh coilover. There are around 20 or so or am i incorrect?
Old 10-30-04, 02:09 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

You should adjust them starting from the stiffest setting. Tein Flex and CS are 16 way adjustable by hand and 32 way adjustable if you have the EDFC (Because the EDFC motors can adjust more minutely). Not sure about the SS. Hope that helps Anthony.
Old 10-30-04, 03:12 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

thanks a lot man, do you have the edfc on your car? you think i should get it? how hard is it to adjust the rears. i can get the edfc for 290 but i don't know if it's worth the 290..
Old 10-31-04, 08:38 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I don't have the EDFC, I can't justify paying 300-400 more when I can just turn the damn ***** myself.
Old 10-31-04, 11:35 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

how long does it take you to get to the rear coilovers ? or how hard is it to get to the rear coilovers. don't you have to take out that wall in the trunk?
Old 10-31-04, 02:56 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Very simple, lift trunk lid, pull back Trunk Lining to expose gas tank, subwoofer and turn the little *****
Old 10-31-04, 09:03 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is very easy to adjust the coilovers without EDFC. It is a pain, though, to go through all 4 every time, especially the rears. It is impossiible if you want to do it on-the-fly while driving, which some of us do. It is your call on how you want to use the adjustability of the coilovers.

As for how to adjust, yes you should start from the stiffest. This is the closed valve position and you cannot click beyond it. On the soft side, you can turn it a bit more and that will throw off the valving calibration. The EDFC actually adjusts at start up by going full hard and then backs up to the values that is currently set.
Old 11-01-04, 02:07 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

got it, thanks guys