Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Help, Can I make my SC track competive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 03:50 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by UpInTheLex
Ok so go to the track without a LSD and have fun. You won't. You'll spin the inside tire all day long and look like in idiot. All I am saying is get a limited slip diff. Personally I think a Diff is more important than any other part of the car for high performance driving. Peg-leg is so unbalanced. I can't understand how a 50K dollar car came from the factory without one. Cheapest way to go is a supra LSD. N/a soops have 4.27 ratio's and some have it with LSD. Thanks for explaining what a differential is, and what gearing is all about, but It's nothing new to me. I actually prefer the slightly higher gearing of my diff, and I lost a couple 10th's in the 1/4....So what? .
So you want to change your gearing from 4.2x to 3.76 and do some track time? Suit yourself.

How would you modify the sway bar? you take it to a machine shop and have them smash the ends with a press and then re-drill the ends and add two more holes. This makes them more stiff and doens't interfere with abs sensors either as long as you don't go too far. It costs around 50 bucks. The U shaped rear supra bar can have the same process done to it to make it adjustable. Again it's 50 bucks. Or go and buy new diazens and spend hella dough, i don't care what you do with your own car, honestly. But if you do the math, you can make the stock bars nearly as stiff. only a true upgrade will bring any performance gain. What do you call the performance gain that I brought to my car for a fraction of the cost?[/QUOTE

Ok, a 10% increase in stiffness, if you can even get the end link to line up properly, it will probably be laid at a 30 degree angle or more, and you risk damaging something. I don't think you realize how soft the OEM bars are for the Supra, and even worse, the SC chassis. Do you even know that different years had different stiffness bars?

"I have not seen a transmission cooler on a manual car, please elaborate."
I don't know about tranny coolers in manual cars, but it's a big priority for automatic cars.
[/QUOTE

Right, please explain how you would put a cooler on a manual transmission car.

Any custom work takes time, skill, and patence. You're right no one is going to "throw in" different carpet, but I've seen guys who do interior work make carpet for race cars in half a day. Same deal with door panels. You could make great looking panels with some imagination and skill, if you're lacking in that department don't try. It would save a ton of weight. [/QUOTE]

Sure, you can do something in 1/2 a day, but I am not sure you have analyzed what the SC carpet looks like, especially underneath, before dispensing this advice to this poor guy that might actually listen to you. Especially the rest including where it goes around the transmission tunnel. Door panels? Same deal that door is not really flat, and the way it attaches to the door and the window sill/perimeter is not conventional to say the least. And as far as interior work goes, I have more than enough experience to know exactly how much effort is involved with fast work, fast crappy work, and properly done custom work.
Old 11-12-04, 05:27 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

SC's make for good track cars Your planned mods sound like a good recipe for it too!
Attached Thumbnails Need Help, Can I make my SC track competive?-20266.jpg  
Old 11-13-04, 12:22 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

dude you're such a tool, you're putting words in my mouth. you're guessing at stiffness of sway bars, i didn't tell the dude to use a rear end with really high gear ratio, i didn't tell the guy to put on a tranny cooler, nor did i tell them to do ****ty custom work. i've had the carpet out of the sc, i've had the door panels off the sc, I know what it looks like. You're treating me like I don't know ****, maybe because I have 60 posts, I don't know, you don't know me or my cars, the quality of my work, so a little more respect is in order. I'm done with this thread, respond if you want but I'm not gonna read it.
Old 11-13-04, 12:54 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by UpInTheLex
dude you're such a tool, you're putting words in my mouth. you're guessing at stiffness of sway bars, i didn't tell the dude to use a rear end with really high gear ratio, i didn't tell the guy to put on a tranny cooler, nor did i tell them to do ****ty custom work. i've had the carpet out of the sc, i've had the door panels off the sc, I know what it looks like. You're treating me like I don't know ****, maybe because I have 60 posts, I don't know, you don't know me or my cars, the quality of my work, so a little more respect is in order. I'm done with this thread, respond if you want but I'm not gonna read it.
Before you really get into it with Doublewhoosh, you may want to first find out who he is. This would be a good place to start: http://www.tmengineering.net/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2

Last edited by verylost; 11-13-04 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-13-04, 03:10 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Has anyone tried adding any bracing to the floor of these cars?
That custom SC convertible probably has something, but wondered if anyone who races has done this, I know how it makes a car so much more predictable in the corners.
Old 11-13-04, 03:16 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

VSsc400 has the side floor support bars from do-luck. I think he said they helped a little.

I have the rear ladder support bar. It doesn't do much but it is shiny. It's great ricer bait.

My best suspension mod so far has been the Teni HA's, Daizen sway bars and bushings, and whiteline polyU front bushings.

Last edited by verylost; 11-13-04 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 03:47 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bolt in cage and that made a good difference. i may upgrade to a six pointer, but i have other mods on the list before that
Old 05-03-08, 05:58 PM
whomiked
Pole Position

Anyone have any experience driving an auto car on a track?
Old 05-03-08, 06:25 PM
whomiked
Pole Position

Anyone have any experience driving an auto car on a track?
Old 05-03-08, 11:14 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLK13X
SC's make for good track cars Your planned mods sound like a good recipe for it too!
LOL!!! is that a 90-93 accord behind the sc?? now THAT is a killer track car >.<
Old 05-04-08, 01:47 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cough Cough 1JZ Cough Cough
Old 05-06-08, 05:03 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, years later...

You can install a tranny cooler on a manual box as long as you use a pump to circulate the fluid. The pumps pretty expensive, Tilton makes a good one. Or you can use a fuel pump if you want to be cheaper about it. Just don't try to have the pump circulate it while the fluid is dead cold or it will wear out fast. I'm putting one on my GTX rally car soon to help keep the temps down.

Seems like I came off a bit butt hurt in the last post I made. I can't remember why...

Thing is 3.92 ratio vs. 3.76 isn't much difference
I don't advise changing from 4.27 to 3.76.
Old 07-21-08, 09:22 AM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Look up Dave Penton's Sc300 on Titan Motorsports. The list isn't updated- the motors an absolute monster now. BUT it was still pretty gnarly then. That's making great #'s on the track.
Old 07-21-08, 11:45 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Wow, years later...
lol, quite a revival, ~4 yrs.

imho, there is a group of very useful threads on Racing and Autocross that is Supra specific and by nature SC related that helped me for HPDE track days. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

All four of the "Sticky"s at the top have relevant info. Most everything there works for the SC.

The short answer to this thread's post #1 is that h.p. via a turbo plus a MKIV Supra suspension and TT brakes will keep you among or in front of most production cars available today.
Old 07-22-08, 09:06 AM
JKAG
Driver

Default Revival and progress

Well, back in '04 I was running NA at 187rwhp with tokico/eibach, tt sway bars, tt brakes and a dozen events under my belt

Now if you look at my sig you can see I have moved up a bit with my SC (including PU bushings by DoubleWoosh) and 30 more events.

I agree with Scoupe that there is a lot of good info on supraforums. But my basic advice is go out and drive on a track!

NA or NAT it doesn't matter. Also, suspension and brake upgrades are more fun than engine mod's until the car is well set up and both the car and driver can handle the extra Hp. There are great tracks all over the country (I've been to about a dozen) and a lot of clubs and groups that run HPDE's. The Audi and BMW clubs provide excellent instruction (and are a bargain compared to Skip Barber et al) and are a good place to start

Re an auto car on the track. I think a couple of the guys on supra forums track auto cars. I've seen threads on that subject...just try search. Meanwhile I know lots of people who track autos. I don't like it, but they have fun especially if they have paddles and a fast shifting tranny. The advise doesn't change...go out and try it.

Quick Reply: Need Help, Can I make my SC track competive?