Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeak Squeak, Please Read On...trust Me Its Different. Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 06:11 PM
dongkeykon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak Squeak, Please Read On...trust Me Its Different. Help

Hello,

I know this question is up here all of the time, but can you guys please help me out. I do have something that is slightly different though. ... so PLEASE read on. Of course, I'm talkign about the annoying, excessive and ridiculous squeaking from the rear whenver I go over minor bumps at slow speeds. Here's the deal:

I know most people say its the bushinjgs, I've taken the car to three different places and all tell me something different. One says its the bushings, the other says its the struts, and the other says it could be either one or neither adn that its all trial and error and that they would replace one thing and if that didn't work, replace another. ($$$$$)

Through this whole ordeal, I've discovered something very weird that I haven't read anywhere else.....Someone please tell me if this is indicitive of something.

HERE IT GOES.......When I jack my car up and then put it down, the squeaking immediately stops (without any greasing or anything else). This will last for a while but when I get in the car to test drive, it comes back. I've done this several times, jacking it up and putting it down and it stops. I even push the rear deck up and down for minutes and it's quiet. But whenver I get in the car and start driving as normal, the squeaking creeps back.

WHAT COULD THIS BE? If it were bad bushings, wouldn't they still continue to squeak after me jacking the rear end up and putting it down?

What would this have to do with a strut though? I'm confused and I'm tired of paying money and everyone telling me its something different. Can anyone help me?
Old 11-07-04, 07:27 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sway bar bushings. Jack up the car and jerk your sway bar to see if it makes that similar noise..
Old 11-07-04, 09:28 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get sway bushings. Even if that is not the problem, couldn't hurt. Rears will run maybe $30 (and thats really pushing it) and takes about 20 minutes to put in yourself. Easiest thing to do. All you need is a rachet set and 2 jackstands to prop the car on. And if the squeaks are still there, then go for the struts (which will probably run you much more.
Old 11-08-04, 10:38 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

you can pick up a set of daizen sway bar bushings for 30 bucks front and rear from tmengineering.
Old 11-08-04, 12:07 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

What's TM Eng.'s website? I lost it re-installing Windows, and it's not TMengineering.com.
Gracias!

So nevermind, it's tmengineering.net. I'm a retard; sorry guys. lol

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 11-08-04 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 02:33 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your car is a 95 SC300, 99% chance that it is your rear upper control arm bushings. Most mechanics can't/won't know how to see or diagnose it, but basically the arm will slip off the bushing, as they are defective on that model/year.

Your fix is to change the arm to a different year arm, or change the bushings.