Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Install Gone Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 05:16 PM
VehicularL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daizen Install Gone Wrong

Just recently purchased my 92 SC300 and of course the control arm bushings were bad. I purchased the Daizen front kit from TM but did not want to install them myself.

Long story short, the mechanic didn’t realize that the outer shell of the bushing needed to stay in the LCA and hacked the old bushing out, outer shell and all. He did remove the inter-shell and used that. I now have Daizen bushings installed on the passenger side LCA with the damaged outer shell placed around the bushings. This allowed me to drive the car home.

What are my options now? Do I need to purchase a used LCA with the old bushings still on it? Then remove the old bushing properly and install the new ones.

I had purchased a basic propane torch from Sears, is this good enough to burn the old bushings out?

Thanks in advance,
Rasa
Old 11-14-04, 10:22 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

might have to take a loss on that one... get supra lower controller arms with new ball joints and bushings. i had the daizen bushings, got rid of them,got 98 lexus sc 400bushings, got rid of them due to improper fitting(bad install),and purchased these supra tt arms(best money ever spent on the front end..fits perfectly!). the parts at carson toyota should be $250 each arm and less than $80-100 a side for installation.
if your going to burn those old bushings out yourself, you shuld be able to install the new arms yourself...goes in the same way you take them out.
....good luck!
Old 11-15-04, 07:38 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The instructions that came with the bushings are very clear. Your mechanic is responsible for replacing the arms he messed up. Get a used set with good ball joints and redo the install. Hopefully the Daizen bushings aren't damaged.

Yes, a Sears propane torch is good. The best way to burn them is to hang the arms off the ground (I used a cherry picker) and heat the bushing from top to bottom. It will slowly melt and just slide right out by force of gravity. If you are impatient, you can help it along with a screwdriver scraping away burnt rubber to contantly expose fresh rubber to the flame. The screwdriver will get a hard-to-remove burnt rubber goop on it so make sure it's not one you cherish.

Rememer to read the instructions over and over again. They are clear but there's many different places to put the different bushings and each have a different method. I almost made a huge mistake so read them over and over and make SURE you are doing what they say and on the right bushings.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-04, 09:12 PM
VehicularL
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help.

Thankfully TM Engineering carries just the outer sleeves, so I had them overnighted and then pressed into the control arm. Just test drove the car after finishing the install of the bushings. Awesome results. No clunking when reversing and an all around tightness in the front end.

Oh yeah, while changing the left side bushings I noticed that the torsion bar mount was completely unscrewed on that side. So putting that back on helped a lot.

One of my ball joint boots got ripped. What are my options with that? I packed up up with a bunch of grease, but couldnt find any silicon to patch it up with. I'll have to purchase some.

On the side that the mechanic didnt touch, I didnt pull the ball joint off. Instead I just swiveled the arm enough to burn out and clean the arms. Much easier then pulling the ball joint and possibly screwing up the boot.

Laters,
Rasa