Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

l-tuned shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04 | 01:47 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

so did u notice a difference in ride quality w/ltuned shockx? are they firmer? or they bouncy on the lex?
Old 12-23-04 | 12:43 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
so did u notice a difference in ride quality w/ltuned shockx? are they firmer? or they bouncy on the lex?
Slight difference in ride quality, shocks are firmer, when hitting a significant bump or pothole, the jolt is a bit harder, but other than that you lose very little ride quality, not harsh or noisey. And, much less bouncey and floaty feeling when traveling at highway speeds and the road undulates. You feel much more planted and in control, also more responsive steering and far less body roll.
Old 12-23-04 | 06:18 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
they are rebadged KYB junk

the alternative would be to get Bilstein Sports like I did
Where did you get the Bilsteins- $ ?
Old 12-23-04 | 10:28 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
Where did you get the Bilsteins- $ ?

www.shox.com

lifetime warranty rox...
Old 12-23-04 | 09:10 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

strange.....I had l-tuned shocks on my GS300 for over a year and I put 20,000 miles on them. I thought that they performed well after the said mileage.
I take the same off-ramp from work daily. It is a quarter mile half-moon shaped curve with about 5 metal seams joining them. The max speed I can hit this ramp is 80. Any faster and the metal seams will upset the balance of the car. After 20,000 miles, I could still hit it at 80 and the car did not seem any less poised.

Last edited by Isfast; 12-23-04 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-23-04 | 09:13 PM
LexFather

Nope, I felt no bad difference. I felt they were more responsive with the new springs.
Old 12-30-04 | 11:40 AM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Since the price for l-tuned suspension is a bargain, i'm thinking about change out my stock.

I have questions about the setup.

is the l-tuned pretty much direct replacement? Do i need shock mount for the new setup? how the ride quality compare to stock one?

Thanks all
Old 12-31-04 | 06:12 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by RayGS3
Since the price for l-tuned suspension is a bargain, i'm thinking about change out my stock.

I have questions about the setup.

is the l-tuned pretty much direct replacement? Do i need shock mount for the new setup? how the ride quality compare to stock one?

Thanks all
The L-Tune is a direct replacement. I've had them on my car for the last 2.5 yrs w 30K miles on them. Ride quality is the same and at higher speeds, the car does not have as much float as the stock suspension did. Some CL members have stated that the shocks wear out faster and that may very well be true. However, a lot depends on road conditions and driving habits. Freeway driving is much kinder than the city streets of Chicago especially during winter freeze and thaw where pot holes can be lethal. One last thing, If your going to have the Lexus dealer install the suspension for you, be prepared to pay 5 to 6 hours labor (anything less is a bargin) plus the going rate for a 4 wheel alignment.

Last edited by rheiy; 12-31-04 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-04-05 | 03:22 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Question

L-Tuned setup itself is a bargain and is unquestionably much better than the stock setup for getting rid of the float. However, I think mine are worn out already (about 20K miles) and I really don't like the bounce over small, but quick jolting, bumps - the car takes too long to recover. I'm going to be swapping them out for the Bilsteins in the spring, when I get me some new wheels. I've seen here that some have gone with Bilstein HDs instead of the Sports to ease the harshness - any other word on that?
The other thing is that when you add up the labor install cost, it seems to be smarter to go for the Bilsteins for the difference in cost between them and L-Tuned. Unless you do the install youself. I wind up doing this twice, so which one is really the bargain, also adding in some frustration with the way the car handles now?
Old 01-04-05 | 03:45 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
L-Tuned setup itself is a bargain and is unquestionably much better than the stock setup for getting rid of the float. However, I think mine are worn out already (about 20K miles) and I really don't like the bounce over small, but quick jolting, bumps - the car takes too long to recover. I'm going to be swapping them out for the Bilsteins in the spring, when I get me some new wheels. I've seen here that some have gone with Bilstein HDs instead of the Sports to ease the harshness - any other word on that?
The other thing is that when you add up the labor install cost, it seems to be smarter to go for the Bilsteins for the difference in cost between them and L-Tuned. Unless you do the install youself. I wind up doing this twice, so which one is really the bargain, also adding in some frustration with the way the car handles now?

bilsteins are OEM on M5's.....that should answer ur question
Old 01-06-05 | 07:12 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

bilsteins are OEM on M5's.....that should answer ur question
Any idea whether the M5 uses the Bilstein Sport or HD's? or whether they are custom for BMW ?
Old 01-07-05 | 01:18 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

www.shox.com

lifetime warranty rox...
N2- Did you get springs and shocks from this place? Everything install ok and come out even?
How about posting a pic with your 16s and the Blis/Eib setup. I may go that same route. Curious to see how low it is and how it looks.
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 01-07-05 | 01:20 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

N2- Did you get springs and shocks from this place? Everything install ok and come out even?
How about posting a pic with your 16s and the Blis/Eib setup. I may go that same route. Curious to see how low it is and how it looks.
Thanks,
Chuck

ask and you shall receive

and yes that's why I referred you to them. Lexforlife bought his old setup from there, as did I

I bought their eibachs and bilstein sports
Old 01-07-05 | 01:30 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

thanks bro- Looks good. I actually like those rims too. Is it just me or does that look like more than an inch drop?
Old 01-07-05 | 03:39 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

thanks bro- Looks good. I actually like those rims too. Is it just me or does that look like more than an inch drop?

its actually around 1.25" all around....the car has that nice raked stance ppl love

Quick Reply: l-tuned shocks?