Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tom's 6 piece kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 11:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
Why not? In the case of my Tanabe's, the rear most portion of the rear most links hit the pipes before they enter the muffler.
The RMM hits the same link but at a different location.
Old 12-26-04, 06:25 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face 6 links

Why not? In the case of my Tanabe's, the rear most portion of the rear most links hit the pipes before they enter the muffler.

Link hits exhaust at red arrow.
Well I guess I was wrong. I've got the Greddy Evo exhaust and have no problem. I guess I assumed that all exhaust pipes would follow a similiar path and not interfere.

Hey thanks for posting a picture.

3dog
Old 12-26-04, 07:19 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3dog
Coilovers, Swaybars and all of Tom's brace's keeps the rear end of my GS400 planted. The links make a very noticeable difference when I push past 80mph on the local uphill sweeper curve. The GS rear end is very loose stock. This stuff is important to keeping it planted if you want to push your car on curves. I probably added 20mph to the speed on this uphill curve after adding this stuff and the rear end stays behind me where it should. Before it wanted to swing out and try to pass the nose of the car. The links really help firm up the rear end,

I can't imagine that these links could interfere with anyones exhaust. Manaray posted a bunch of pictures of them if anyone feels like searching for them.

So are you running an LSD with that, I am curious how much of a stabilizing effect it has when combined with the LSD which has a tendency to cause serious oversteer.
Old 12-26-04, 10:09 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by morris
So are you running an LSD with that, I am curious how much of a stabilizing effect it has when combined with the LSD which has a tendency to cause serious oversteer.
A lead foot and "389 rwhp 343 ft lbs of torque" are what's causing most of your oversteer. And the gearing, of course. You should consider changing back to stock gearing and a clutch type LSD. Man, I would love to have your problems.
Old 12-26-04, 10:49 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Link hits exhaust at red arrow.
As Neo said, the RMM exhaust hits the nut directly behind the pipe where you have the arrow on your pic.

Mine had to get a 45 degree slice out of the corner of the nut, plus part of the threaded bolt. Probably could have cut less, but I def. clear no problem right now.
Old 12-26-04, 11:12 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Just about I'd say.

So even though the difference is noticeable, it appears to be noticeable only in certain circumstances such as under heavy throttle or when pushing the car hard.

For us die hard suspension modders, every little bit counts!

Say for example you didn't know that this 6-piece kit was added to your car, would you have noticed the difference? Sometimes we tend to pay more attention to the car (trying to justify mods we have done) and we end up "exaggerating" the difference or improvement in our heads.

Agreed Hameed.

Let's take a different perspective. Even all out race cars with full tube frames and roll cages are constantly striving to design their chassis for better stiffness. Pay attention to any discussion from a race team when they talk about their next gen race chassis. They almost always mention some area of improvement in stiffness.

The quest for chassis stiffness never goes away folks.

That said. Every little chassis stiffening mod adds up cumulatively. A company with the reputation of Tom's (for example) is going to design and sell products that work together as a complete and balanced system. Of course some mods make more noticable difference than others, but it also depends on the order in which you do the mod, because the overall stiffness is the sum of the complimentary parts around it.

A good analogy would be modding intake and exhaust. You need better breathing and exhaust to get the full performance benefit to your engine, yet people often comment which mod makes a more noticable difference. It's not like one is worth doing more than the other, you need both for the full effect.

Ya see what I mean?

Yes, this is an endorsement to buy every chassis stiffening product Tom's makes.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-26-04 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 02:25 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
As Neo said, the RMM exhaust hits the nut directly behind the pipe where you have the arrow on your pic.

Mine had to get a 45 degree slice out of the corner of the nut, plus part of the threaded bolt. Probably could have cut less, but I def. clear no problem right now.
Is it possible to shave a little of the Toms knockle in order to get rid of this problem?
Old 12-27-04, 03:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HKGS300
Is it possible to shave a little of the Toms knockle in order to get rid of this problem?
that was discussed before (privately) and i think someone might be trying that soon
Old 12-27-04, 03:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

after seeing the pics and see how the tanabe and the rmm hits, i wonder where the apexi hits

from my vague memory, it's pretty much the same spot as what redgs4 pointed out
Old 12-27-04, 07:07 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

A lead foot and "389 rwhp 343 ft lbs of torque" are what's causing most of your oversteer. And the gearing, of course. You should consider changing back to stock gearing and a clutch type LSD. Man, I would love to have your problems.

Believe it or not I kept the stock gearing when I put in the TRD LSD. No one told me how the cars handling charachteristics would change so now I'm trying do what I can to improve the situationl.
Old 12-27-04, 07:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Believe it or not I kept the stock gearing when I put in the TRD LSD. No one told me how the cars handling charachteristics would change so now I'm trying do what I can to improve the situationl.
Morris, I've got pretty much the same setup HP and TQ you (385 / 350) do and don't have the problems with oversteer or traction. I had the TRD LSD way before I put on the supercharger so I guess I had a bit more time to get used to the way it affected traction at launch. I honestly don't feel the LSD impacted much of the way my car 'handles' at speed, probably because I don't regularly push the outer envelope of cornering very often or maybe I'm just used to it.

We need to make sure to go for a ride next time we're together if you haven't added more stuff. I'll be in ATL next week for a couple of days, but I'm driving the LS.
Old 12-27-04, 07:48 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Morris, I've got pretty much the same setup HP and TQ you (385 / 350) do and don't have the problems with oversteer or traction. I had the TRD LSD way before I put on the supercharger so I guess I had a bit more time to get used to the way it affected traction at launch. I honestly don't feel the LSD impacted much of the way my car 'handles' at speed, probably because I don't regularly push the outer envelope of cornering very often or maybe I'm just used to it.

We need to make sure to go for a ride next time we're together if you haven't added more stuff. I'll be in ATL next week for a couple of days, but I'm driving the LS.
You have bracing right, perhpas that helps you. I drove the dragon and had a nice degree of understeer, then I put the LSD in a couple weeks later and taking on ramps at highspeed was a new experience for me, I guess I do push it quite a bit..

I'd love to get togeter but my car is in the shop at the moment, hopefully it will be done by the time your in town. If not are you going to the Otown thing in February I'm planning on going. maybe that would work.
Old 12-27-04, 05:33 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Oversteer with LSD And question about some Tom's stuff

When I've had problems with oversteer from the LSD is when I give it a massive dose of wideopen throttle, and that is usually because I got careless and the street was wet.

Going uphill at eighty on the sweeper curve is not where I'm going to hammer the throttle.

I will stick to my story that the 6 links help tighten up the rear end.

Has anyone tried these Toms components
Steel bracket for the rear upper arm is reinforced, upper arm improves without wasteful movement
Price: $ 195.00
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=448

Or this one
Steel plate which reinforces the rear lower arm. Rigidity of the arm itself is made.
Price: $ 200.00
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=447

Just curious if you guys know what these things do.

Thanks
Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 12-27-04 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,409 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
When I've had problems with oversteer from the LSD is when I give it a massive dose of wideopen throttle...
That's how morris drives all the time.
Old 12-27-04, 07:18 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's how morris drives all the time.

True true, its all or nothing