Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tired of squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 09:33 PM
Ron_V
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of squeaky brakes

When I purchased my SC, the previous owner had already replaced the rotors and brake pads with Brembo slotted/drilled rotors and Axxis metal master pads. When I test drove the car prior to purchase, it made squeaky noises back then. I could see that they were new rotors, so I asked him about it, but he mentioned that it will go away after awhile. Now a friend of mine said that these Brembo rotors are like that and will squeak all the time. Is this true or will it go away. I am really tired of the irritating squeak. Is it the Brembo rotors, the Axxis pads, or both?
Old 12-13-04, 11:09 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I have brembo tt rotors and I have no noise. I don't think it's the rotors.. You have a g35 sedan (so do I). Doesn't that sqeek more than the sc? My g35 makes noise when I hit the brakes lightly

Last edited by mrshabo; 12-13-04 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-14-04, 08:10 AM
Ron_V
Rookie

Originally posted by mrshabo
I have brembo tt rotors and I have no noise. I don't think it's the rotors.. You have a g35 sedan (so do I). Doesn't that sqeek more than the sc? My g35 makes noise when I hit the brakes lightly
What pads are you using? Could it be the Axxis Metal Master pads? My G35 doesn't squeak...yet..But I only have 1100 mile on the car. I've only owned it for 4 mos now.
Old 12-14-04, 08:30 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it squeak only when you press lightly or does it squeak no matter how hard you press down? Mine squeak only when I press lightly. I suspect that it's the sliders that need to be replaced or cleaned and regreased (for my car anyway).
Old 12-14-04, 10:35 AM
Ron_V
Rookie

Originally posted by jeremyp111
Does it squeak only when you press lightly or does it squeak no matter how hard you press down? Mine squeak only when I press lightly. I suspect that it's the sliders that need to be replaced or cleaned and regreased (for my car anyway).
It squeaks when you press fully on the brake pedal.
Old 12-15-04, 07:05 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I am using hawk hps pads on the Sc. My g35 had noise around 5000 miles. I had to replace the rotors and brake pads already. Sucks huh? I hope yours doesn't have the same problem
Old 12-15-04, 12:15 PM
Ron_V
Rookie

Originally posted by mrshabo
I am using hawk hps pads on the Sc. My g35 had noise around 5000 miles. I had to replace the rotors and brake pads already. Sucks huh? I hope yours doesn't have the same problem
Do you think it could be my Axxis brake pads... it almost sounds like slight metal screeching...
Old 12-31-04, 01:12 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Ron,

This reply may be a bit late but here goes anyway. I JUST had this problem fixed. This is what you will need. 1. Lexus OEM Pads ($60 somthing list) 2. Lexus OEM Pad Shim Kit($30.00). And IF needed a front brake hardware kit. ($30ish)

What you will need to do. Replace the pads you have, once they start squeaking I have yet to find a fix that will completly cure them. I would suggest turning your rotors, but that is not possible with your brembos. So instead take some 400 Grit sandpaper and LIGHTLY scuff up the rotor surface. Also use liberal amounts of brake cleaner to remove any residue on the rotor.

Next molly lube (brake caliper grease) any place that metal will touch metal on the caliper. Example: the pad mounting clips, between the pad and the shim, between the shim and the shim plate, On the caliper bolts ect... DO NOT GET THIS ON THE ROTOR OR PAD SURFACE. I suggest using a small paint brush to apply a thin layer of grease.

Now if all your pad clips look good and you still have you pad anti-chatter springs then you wont need the hardware kit. But I still suggest getting one if for no other reason than replacing the springs (keeps the pads seperated)

This is not a hard job but if you have not done this before it can seem complicated. If you take the car somwhere to get the work done request that they use the OEM pads and shim kit. Also now that you know how the brakes SHOULD be done watch the mechanic to be sure he properly molly lubes eveything. Many mechanics are gulity of doing a "pad slap" and that always causes problems.

Hope this all makes sense and helps you out.

-Rob
Old 12-31-04, 02:06 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC4Million
Ron,

This reply may be a bit late but here goes anyway. I JUST had this problem fixed. This is what you will need. 1. Lexus OEM Pads ($60 somthing list) 2. Lexus OEM Pad Shim Kit($30.00). And IF needed a front brake hardware kit. ($30ish)

What you will need to do. Replace the pads you have, once they start squeaking I have yet to find a fix that will completly cure them. I would suggest turning your rotors, but that is not possible with your brembos. So instead take some 400 Grit sandpaper and LIGHTLY scuff up the rotor surface. Also use liberal amounts of brake cleaner to remove any residue on the rotor.

Next molly lube (brake caliper grease) any place that metal will touch metal on the caliper. Example: the pad mounting clips, between the pad and the shim, between the shim and the shim plate, On the caliper bolts ect... DO NOT GET THIS ON THE ROTOR OR PAD SURFACE. I suggest using a small paint brush to apply a thin layer of grease.

Now if all your pad clips look good and you still have you pad anti-chatter springs then you wont need the hardware kit. But I still suggest getting one if for no other reason than replacing the springs (keeps the pads seperated)

This is not a hard job but if you have not done this before it can seem complicated. If you take the car somwhere to get the work done request that they use the OEM pads and shim kit. Also now that you know how the brakes SHOULD be done watch the mechanic to be sure he properly molly lubes eveything. Many mechanics are gulity of doing a "pad slap" and that always causes problems.

Hope this all makes sense and helps you out.

-Rob
i did this myself and it works everyone. good write up rob!
Old 12-31-04, 05:31 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

i bought new axis metal master pads and new no name aftermarket cross drilled slotted rotors and i never experienced any squeaking so this may be more of an isolated case. but i think perhaps the shim kit may help or one of the above mention things would probably fix it.
Old 12-31-04, 10:18 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tired of squeaky brakes

The reason the brakes squeak is because the brake caliper rods are dry of grease. You may take out those rods, clean them, and lube them with high temperature grease, then the noise should go away. Also, it could be from using bad brake pads.
Old 02-02-05, 01:07 PM
Ron_V
Rookie

Just to be sure, it is definately not the rotors?
Old 02-02-05, 01:37 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Anyone experience squeeking while using brembo non slotted, non drilled rotors, but OEM toyota pads? Thats the setup I plan on getting in a few months but I will not shell out $500 for OEM rotors when I can get brembos for half the price.
Old 02-02-05, 06:13 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Unless the rotors have been glazed with use, 99% of all brake squeal is from the pads. The brembos should be OK.

-Rob