Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Those with excessive brake pedal travel, please read...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 12:52 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

As we all know, the GS400 has stupendous brakes, on par with most "real" sports cars. These brakes generate tons of heat, and maybe the fault is of cheap, low grade grease. It may be worth checking into finding a more heat resistant, high quality grease to prevent sticking. On a couple of my previous vehicles, I've had my rotors cryo-treated to extend life and prevent warpage. I'll likely do the same when I replace the ones on my GS. But for now...I'm wondering about the grease. Anyone have anything to add?
Old 01-11-05, 01:26 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't you wind up with uneven pad wear if the caliper is not riding freely, and that winds up being something that the Lexus techs SHOULD find? I'm not sure I understand how this snuck past them...
Old 01-11-05, 04:18 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Brakes

Okay I'm figuring out that what I was calling a pin with a dust cover that was froze up is possibly a piston.

So I just got off the phone with the shop owner and he said that he talked to the local Lexus dealer and they told him that all the parts that were needed to fix this problem added up to about $100. He is getting a rebuilt caliper for the same price and it should be installed tomorrow.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when I try to work on cars myself. It does not take much to go wrong and I am over my head and looking for someone to bail me out. I'm also very glad that I did not undertake this repair myself.

I am so glad I am getting this fixed. I could have gone on with it like this and never known, and just put up with it.

Thanks again Guitarman for opening this thread and then providing a solution.

Brakes and Torque Converter tomorrow.

3dog
Old 01-12-05, 08:19 AM
Guitarman

On my other cars, I've always used a product called "SYL-GLIDE" ( NAPA sells it) to lubricate the caliper glides, anyone know if it's decent enough? I believe it's a silicone lubricant. I was told it was good many years ago.

I'll have to do some research on it ( punched it into Google)...

. OK, just found this, end of first paragraph he mentions it;

http://www.zr2.com/frequently_asked_...es/brakes.html

Former ASE tech recommends it for calipers so I guess I'm ok using it.

The difficult part here for me is that the tech that did mine was far too cryptic in offering up exactly what was froze up on mine. I can speculate, but that doesn't really help anyone else out here. Suffice it to say the GS brakes need to be looked at real closely and you need to buy the whole maintenanice kit for the brakes when it comes time to change pads etc.and don't forget the silicone lube. I hope everyone gets to experience the brakes on this car as they were intended, because as Ron says, they are that good. Cheers all.
Old 01-12-05, 08:32 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With regard to lubricant for sliding brake parts, I have used Permatex Anti-Seize compound with great success (avail @ Pep Boys). HOWEVER, anyone that decides to use this stuff must know that it must be kept off all other brake parts, because if you get it in the wrong place, it really doesn't like to wear off, or wash off, so you could wind up with seriously compromised brake performance, beware. (Having said that, this stuff works very well for the sliding pin and spring plate that the GS rear brake pads hang on.)
Old 01-12-05, 09:11 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Okay the shop owner tells me it is not a piston but a guide pin.

Lexus would have had to order all the parts, and then after they got here would have required labor to put together and his cost just for the parts would have been $100

The rebuilt caliper cost him $65 and is already at the shop this morning.

Took my car in at 8 am to get the brake job finished and to get the Torque Converter and
Tranny Cooler installed.

I hope they can get this all done in one day as I need the car for tomorrow.

And just to prove that every day brings something, I managed to break off some plastic piece in my TOTO toilet last night and while I can use it, the water needs to be turned on and off at the shut off valve. I'm trying to find someone who services TOTO to come out here and fix the thing.
Oh well somehow it will get taken care of but it screwed up my plan to go into work at 10am and just take half the day off.

Thanks to all of you for all your help!

Ivan
3dog
Old 01-12-05, 07:46 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Brakes

Well I got my car back and the braking is a vast improvement over what it was when it went into the shop. Brake pedal travel is much less and stopping power went up

I will update this tomorrow as I have not driven the car except to come home from the shop. About 10 minutes.

Also got the Torqueconverter and Tranny Cooler installed. Car takes off like a rocket. I'll post a review in a few days.

3dog
Old 01-12-05, 09:35 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm wonder if this applies for my gen?
anyone know?