Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

supra tt sway bar conversion (parts needed?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 05:55 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Those are good thoughts but I hope you don't really think all American roads are like those in Florida.

Florida is I believe the flattest state in the union. If you'd like to see some nice curves, come to <insert your state here>. (But I will grant that Florida has the smoothest roads in the world- stiffen up your suspension there, and you'd think the ride is not affected at all, until you ventured out of state!.)

Yes, ride quality versus handling. It is hard compromise.

I do not know if I made myself clear enough in my previous post. I`m not advocating stiffening suspension behind Supra TT setup and low profile tire setup. I do belive it is sporty enough for street use regardless of state and factory engineered to work together.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 12-25-04 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 08:04 AM
SCV8
Instructor

I suppose it depends on your spring rates, but the TRD rear bar is pretty firm, sounds like the oem TT bar is enough, even on the track.
That's what I found from some Supra owners awhile back anyways.
I wouldn't mind trying a firmer front bar though, just to see what the trade-off would be.
Old 12-29-04, 06:25 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default End links

I'm not sure the question of end links ever got resolved. Some people have said they needed them for the TT bars, I have a '96 and the TT bars bolted up to my stock end links (front and rear). I suspect it may be an issue with the model year. It would be useful to hear from the folks who have done this mod as to what year/which end links are needed.
Old 01-01-05, 02:13 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be be putting the Tanabe front and rear swaybars on my 92 sc300. Will post pics. The Tanabe swaybars are chromemoly=lightweight and super strong
Old 01-02-05, 04:47 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
I will be be putting the Tanabe front and rear swaybars on my 92 sc300. Will post pics. The Tanabe swaybars are chromemoly=lightweight and super strong
Can't wait to see...
Old 03-31-05, 02:24 AM
fredzdesig
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Just the Rear sway bar... so where's the pics?

i hate beating a dead horse but...

lots of contradiction with the supra tt rear sway bar install throughout this forum. Some had no problem, others needed endlinks, subframe mounts and subframe cushions off the TT as well as had to weld some aluminum plates, etc. I'm GUESSING difference may be in the year and model of the SC300/400. I've got a 95 sc300 and just got the rear sway from the TT which looks to be shorter in width than stock, so i'm ordering all the extras and hopefully get it in. I think the 96+ fit differently?

meanwhile.... any one have pics of their installed Supra TT (or Supra tt spec aftermarket) rear sway bar? Please state year and model and let's put this puppy to rest! Thanks!
Old 03-31-05, 10:41 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fredzdesig
i hate beating a dead horse but...

lots of contradiction with the supra tt rear sway bar install throughout this forum. Some had no problem, others needed endlinks, subframe mounts and subframe cushions off the TT as well as had to weld some aluminum plates, etc. I'm GUESSING difference may be in the year and model of the SC300/400. I've got a 95 sc300 and just got the rear sway from the TT which looks to be shorter in width than stock, so i'm ordering all the extras and hopefully get it in. I think the 96+ fit differently?

meanwhile.... any one have pics of their installed Supra TT (or Supra tt spec aftermarket) rear sway bar? Please state year and model and let's put this puppy to rest! Thanks!
I'm in the same boat! Some resolution to this subject (instead of just an arguement over whether it's necessary or not), would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 03-31-05, 05:12 PM
SCV8
Instructor

On the Supras, the two, rear-most subframe mounts have saddles built in to them to hold the swaybar. The subframe mounts are swappable between the Supra and SC.

The endlinks I used on my '92 SC4, with the Supra rear bar, are the ones that were on the car originally.

Sorry no pictures, and the rear mufflers did need to be removed for access.
Old 03-31-05, 09:38 PM
RjRacing
Driver

The idea was brought up about daizen instead b/c they swap right in, but do they handle as well as TRD swap bars?
Old 04-05-05, 11:11 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

i thought daizen sways handle better than trd sways
i think daizens were 150% stiffer than oem and trd sways were 132%
Old 04-06-05, 10:30 AM
jacques
Pole Position

So from you guys who have installed sways, supra/trd/daizen or otherwise, how is you ride quality now? Is it louder, are bumps more noticible? I know high speed turning is improved but does it feel any different in low speed turns and everyday driving?
Old 04-06-05, 04:06 PM
SCV8
Instructor

It's not any louder, but the ride is a bit worse, good compromise IMO.
Old 04-18-05, 07:55 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by newyorksc
i thought daizen sways handle better than trd sways
i think daizens were 150% stiffer than oem and trd sways were 132%
yes something like that..
The Daizen are more stiff

I like em '
Old 04-19-05, 05:00 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Hands up if you have driven a Supra TT, Do you want your Luxo Lexus to ride like that?

If you want to IMPROVE the handling, replace the soft, saggy, worn bushes in the suspension arms and do the swaybar bushes at the same time, you dont have to go for fancy after-market kit, just use the Vlamos rubber bushes and std Lexus parts.

The car will be totally transformed, smoother, quieter and it will handle better, trust me, everyone who has driven Yakuza since the suspension overhaul has been stunned at the improvement.

And I had previously considered fitting the TRD or TT rear swaybar to combat the wobbly back end but now it just aint called for.
Old 06-09-05, 12:46 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Help...w.t.f. is a sub frame mount??

Originally Posted by rscott
endlinks are fine. its the subframe mounts you need from the supra.
Here is a scan of a 1996 Toyota TT rear suspension from the Toyota dealer. Exactly what is a sub frame mount and where is it on this pix?

Also, when I read this link, there is directly conflicting info. You need the end links, no, you need the subframe mounts. Well, I tried to mount my TT rear sway bar without Supra Sub Frame mounts. Not going to happen.

Finally, let's be clear on the front TT sway bars, anything needed to put them in (like Toyota TT end-links or sub-frame mounts) or do they just hook up??

Help please, only from those who went under the car and did it...
Attached Thumbnails supra tt sway bar conversion (parts needed?)-lower-res-scan.jpg  

Last edited by SCoupe; 03-15-07 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: supra tt sway bar conversion (parts needed?)