Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bushings & Bushes. Whatever, mine are Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 12:25 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mungrin
I replaced only my lower control arm bushings as those are the ones that are prone to fail on any double wishbone suspension.
Listen to the man
Old 05-23-05, 09:44 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mungrin
I replaced only my lower control arm bushings as those are the ones that are prone to fail on any double wishbone suspension.If you have the money,you can change em all and you car will basically ride like a brand new car.
Mungrin is right in what he said but lacks the emphasis that should be placed on the benefits from renewing the suspension bushes BEFORE THEY FAIL which is when most people only take notice as you get the clonks and bangs in the suspension.

If it took 11 years for the front lower arm bushes to virtually collapse, what condition are the other bushes in? After checking them all we found slop in all the upper arms and rear suspension links, each one had excessive movement due to the rubber losing it's properties. No one bush had failed/split like the front lower ones but add all that play together and the suspension is going it's own way allowing the wheels to swing in the breeze.

Now Yakuza has all new suspension bushes the car is transformed, tighter, smoother, quieter and the ride is so much better despite running on low profile tyres which transmit more harshness from the road surface. The handling/steering is also improved now that the suspension uprights are better located and will not flop around under load.

So dont wait for the clunks to set in, if your car has some years/miles on it replace all the suspension bushes and get back the ride quality that was there when the car was new.
Old 05-26-05, 02:12 PM
pudieinpa
Driver School Candidate

Question Control Arms

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this site, but not new to Lexus. I bought '92 SC400 new, now I've got 180K miles on it and have had almost every problem I've seem on this site. But I'm old and a little slow, so I need to understand this LCA thing. I need new rear control arms or bushings. Can I use the Supra stuff or do have to go OEM?
Old 05-26-05, 02:40 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pudieinpa
Hey Guys,
I'm new to this site, but not new to Lexus. I bought '92 SC400 new, now I've got 180K miles on it and have had almost every problem I've seem on this site. But I'm old and a little slow, so I need to understand this LCA thing. I need new rear control arms or bushings. Can I use the Supra stuff or do have to go OEM?
Depends on budget, how long you plan to keep the car, if the ball joints are shot, etc...a lot of things can factor in. Best thing to do is read the entire thread from start to finish, that'll give you a better idea of what you're dealing with. Or I'll just make it easy for you...if you have $400 then just get Supra arms and be done with it...that'll solve the control arm issue and the ball joint issue
Old 05-26-05, 02:54 PM
HKSC300
Driver

I noticed something whilst looking for pricing on the Supra LCA's. The 93-96 LCA's are about $200, while the 97-98's run around $350. I'm assuming they have different part numbers....anyone know the difference between these two sets of arms?
Old 05-27-05, 05:14 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the 93.5-96 are cast iron and the 97-98 are aluminum???? (Someone correct me if 'm wrong)

Go with the 93.5-96's....better value and pretty much the same thing. I am going with those too on my 1998 SC400. Should handle a bit better but you can feel the bumps a little more. Bushings in the Supra LCA's are thicker than the SC's but still rubber. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-06, 07:10 AM
yardbuzz
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know if these oem bushings will fit 94 ls400 ?
thanks

Originally Posted by autiger200
There is one more option...Lexus now sells the OEM control arm bushings

Bushings are made for `97 and up SC, but fit all model years. There are two different bushings for the LCA, the front and rear, with different numbers. Youll need one of each for each side.
Front: 48654-24040
Rear: 48655-24050

from Eurojulian (I believe...):
"It is official now. I instaled my ctrl arms with `97 bushings today in `92 SC4. It was drop in fit. No problems whatsoever. Car rides incredibly with new stuff. Only after I removed ctrl arms I saw how battered were old bushings only after 90k miles on good Florida roads.

As I said in earlier posts, rear bushing was redesigned and beefed up, so it should last this time and it is well worth the money. Thank you Lexus"

Cant find the thread this came from, for some reason, but Im sure another member can add to this...

Steven Lee
92 SC4
Old 01-03-06, 08:53 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

i think i have this same problem with my sc.. i have a lot of noise and i have silkroad coilovers on my car.. the car has a huge drop.. but lately its been squeaking a lot.. the car has 183,000 miles and these bushings are stock.. Are these the same symptoms you guys are having? At first i thought it might have been my bumpstops but then i stumbled on this thread.
Old 01-04-06, 09:01 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default re:

i think it was previously mentioned in this thread, but it was also in a magazine's how-to a while back. . .
lowering your suspension too much is detrimental to your handling. not old are the control arms not working like they are supposed to, but they are taking the weight from angles they aren't meant to...consistently.
I'm guessing this will fatigue parts much faster.
i can't remember, but i thought the article had how to go lower(adjust other suspension components to work)
i wish i still had the magazine
Old 01-04-06, 09:37 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

After I do all new rotors/pads in the spring, new LCAs are my first priority... Ive decided it'd be best to just buy 2 LCAs at 360 each and have them put in. This bypasses the need for labor to burn the old bushings out, press new ones in. It also gives me new balljoints, which would probably need replacement now anyway.

So brakes, LCAs, engine/tranny/steering rack mounts, amplifier. Lotta money needed.
Old 01-04-06, 01:22 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Ive decided it'd be best to just buy 2 LCAs at 360 each and have them put in.
Jay, why not just buy them for $190 each from Carson Toyota and save that extra $340 for something else?
Old 01-04-06, 03:25 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Jay, why not just buy them for $190 each from Carson Toyota and save that extra $340 for something else?

190 reflects the price for supra LCAs, right? There is a difference between the two in ride quality and such.
Old 01-09-06, 06:11 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Tired of the car with the mind of its own when I hit a bump so looks like I am taking the Supra LCA route as well. Will call Carson tomorrow, but do I need only the lower. They offer front upper and lower and make sure I do not leave something out and the problem persist.
Old 01-10-06, 07:32 AM
Project300
Driver

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
Tired of the car with the mind of its own when I hit a bump so looks like I am taking the Supra LCA route as well. Will call Carson tomorrow, but do I need only the lower. They offer front upper and lower and make sure I do not leave something out and the problem persist.
You won't need the upper LCA, just the lower. But while your are in there you should replace the sway bar links and bushings as well as the steering rack bushings. It's not that hard to do while everything is apart and it will make a huge difference in the steering response. You will smile when you take that first turn.
Old 01-10-06, 12:11 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
190 reflects the price for supra LCAs, right? There is a difference between the two in ride quality and such.
the difference in ride quality is negligible, the difference in price is NOT. It's up to you but I'd go with the Supra front lower control arms and use the rest of that money on the steering rack and so forth. Think about this, if your curent bushings are are shot then your ride quality is crappy to begin with...this will only improve ride quality.

Quick Reply: Bushings & Bushes. Whatever, mine are Bad!