Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Severe front brake/suspension click

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 03:38 PM
AZIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Severe front brake/suspension click

I installed Brembo cross-drilled (front) rotors with new stock Toyota pads on my '01 IS ~1 year ago, and since then I have been subject to a "click/pop" noise when I apply the brakes when going less than ~20mph and turning, simultaneously. The noise is getting progressively worse, and I have tried everything short of replacing the rotors with stock. Yes, my shims and x-springs are installed and yes I used brake grease when reassembling. Any ideas, or is this just an annoyance that goes along with drilled rotors? Thanks in advance...
Old 12-29-04, 03:46 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excuse my ignorance

but what's brake grease

have you inspected the pads make sure evrything is where it should be ?
Old 12-29-04, 04:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no clue what brake grease is, but you did get the right replacement pads right?
Old 12-29-04, 05:40 PM
AZIS
Driver School Candidate

Brake grease is my term for the anti-squeal compound which is applied to the BACKS of the pads and then to the shims prior to installing into the calipers...

Yes they were the correct pads, which were obtained from the dealership.

The only other non-stock component on the car are Hotchkis sways, but I have already tried disconnecting them to see if they were the cause...no change.
Old 12-29-04, 07:50 PM
lex400pshR
Driver

Check the shims and all the clips, The problem is in there.

I had same problem in my supra 4 piston when I decided to go aftermarket pads with no shims,
I tell U shims make a lot of difference!

maybe put some silicone behind the pads so they stick better!
Old 12-30-04, 09:37 AM
AZIS
Driver School Candidate

So no opinions that the drilled holes in the rotors could be causing the noise as they pass over the pads? I seem to recall seeing some posts possibly on a different forum that indicated that increased noise was a side effect of drilled / slotted rotors? Another thought -- any history of front wheel bearings or struts going bad on the IS? Mine has 66k, so it is getting up there.
Anyway, I am tyring to avoid paying $250 for stock rotors only to find that the noise remains and then I can't return the stock rotors cuz they are used...
Old 12-31-04, 12:30 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

I've got the same brakes that you have(but with axxis ultimate pads), and I started noticing that noise too after having mine installed. so, i went and had it checked and it was nothing on my car other then just noticing the sound after having something new put on. what was explained to me, was that it is the caliper clamping onto the rotor and since you are going slowly, you can hear it better. (the guy that checked it is a Lexus master technician/moderator/member/lexus owner and enthusiast on this board so i know he wasn't lying )

so i don't think there is anything to worry about, it's probably the same thing. go have it looked at if it will make you feel better.

be glad that the clear coat whatever stuff didn't get on your rotor, heat up and harden to a small lump of concrete on your rotors. it sounds like your wheels are going to fall off when you touch the brakes. ask me how i know.

the noise you are referring to with the rotors that you SHOULD hear is kind of a whirring noise. kinda like if you were to hold a peice of paper or something into one of those small room fans. its not really loud or anything. i can only hear it when i have no radio on, and the windows down. so that is definatly not like what you are hearing.

Last edited by amy011079; 12-31-04 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-05, 10:45 AM
nl99gsr
Driver School Candidate

I also am getting this click / knock when im backing out of my garage. It has also happened a couple of times when i hit the brakes. Its an cpo 01 with 42k miles on it, bone stock. I got it a couple of weeks ago. I feel its more something to do with the suspension than the brakes though. Im not sure though. I took it to the salesman that sold the car to me, and said that it may be normal noise, but I knew it wasnt. Either way he said they can take a look at him when i take it in for the free 5k oil change. It think maybe a bolt(s) just need to be tighted or something.

Anybody else experiencing this?

thanks,
Nick
Old 01-27-05, 12:21 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this problem too. I have a '01 with 37k miles and it's bone stock. I took it to the dealership and told my serice rep about it and he took care of it. He explained the noise by saying that it had something to do with the brake design in that it's a "floating" caliper. I don't really know what that means but he was able to correct it. It used to be pretty bad. I would hear the click backing up and then shifting into drive almost every time. It's gone now that he corrected it but I still hear a click every once in a while. I guess that's better than hearing it all the time.