Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

wooo got swaybars (review)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-04, 10:39 PM
jefe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wooo got swaybars (review)

I'd just like to tell you guys about my Daizen sway bars. They're pretty damn awesome, if I do say so myself.

I ordered from TMengineering on dec 17, and they got here dec 23. I wasn't even expecting them before Christmas, but they shipped them out on Mon the 20th and apparently UPS was able to get them to me in a matter of days. So thanks to TM (and UPS).

Installation was pretty quickly, although the guys quoting less than an hour time must have a lift, no tough bolts to undo, or have done it before. My friend and I were able to do the front one within a half hour of jacking up the car, as it was very straightforward. The rear was a bit trickier (probalby took 2 hours total), as I didn't realize that the end link studs could be held in place with a hex wrench. (the stud was spinning, so we took it off with the sway bar to work on it off the car). So if you just fit an allen wrench into the end link stud, then that should keep it from spinning and remove the nut easily. Secondly, although the instructions do not really say it, it is very helpful to untighten the lower shock bolt. This relieves the compressive stress on the lower bolt of the end link in the lower arm. Also, 'reversing the end link' means to remove the whole end link and reinstall it 180 degrees from before so that the stud points outwards. This is due to the fact that the Daizen bar is longer than the stock bar in the rear. Switching the end link around buys a little more space. Everything after that went smoothly (except broke a damn 3/8" Craftsman ratchet. seems to be a big problem with them) from there on out. When we put the car back down, the rear end was way in the air for some reason. We're talking like a 6 or 8" fender gap, from the L-tuned spring's 2". After driving it once, it settled back down. I guess the bar had to settle down to the correct angle.

Driving it feels awesome. I knew it would be a big improvement, but I was surprised. These things make the car so much more composed. The car doesnt feel like a boat when making low speed 90 degree turns at intersections. Before it would lean horribly, but now it doesnt feel like I'm going to tip over. Also, it keeps the wheels planted better, so I can apply more power from these low speed turns without spinning the wheel. The car has crisper turning response and of course much less lean. For some reason the car feels much more smooth on larger bumps and waves. I guess it just doesn't rock on these anymore, which is great; it just sticks. Overall, I think I can take turns with 20% more speed than before. Oh I set the rear adjustable sway bar to the most oversteery, but I have yet to see it. It's been pretty neutral actually, which is great.

One funny thing is that I can get my car stuck going up my driveway. The rear wheel will lift off the ground, now that the chassis doesnt twist anymore, and so without the LSD, I get stuck. I just have to carry more momentum to get that wheel back in contact. I actually got stuck going down the driveway and had to get out and push it. Awesome.

So overall, I would say that even though these sway bars are expensive (most cars you can get a set of eibach or suspension techniques for 200-300 bucks) that it is still worth the cost. Performance is greatly improved. It feels like I'm driving such a more nimble car. I have trouble resisting nailing it up to 6k rpm coming out of every turn. That's how fun these things are.
Old 12-30-04, 10:48 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice review
Old 12-31-04, 12:41 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the addition and thanks for the review. Sounds like another satisfied customer.

As for the price, the other sways you can get for the GS is in the same ballpark. If you compare the price to ones from other cars, especially Hondas where the aftermarket scene is more competitive, then you are right.
Old 12-31-04, 12:54 AM
503-M3
Rookie

Great review!! I was debating whether or not to do the Daizen Sways and I think I'm going to now!!
Old 12-31-04, 06:48 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

great review .. what setting to you use in the rear neutral in the middle aggressive or soft..if you have a staggered wheel setup then aggressive is the way to go it really helps to whip the rear around to follow the fronts...

now all you need is some toms bracing and you will almost be ready for some canyon carving type driving

now go out and have some fun but please be safe out there
Old 12-31-04, 07:51 AM
jefe
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexforlife
great review .. what setting to you use in the rear neutral in the middle aggressive or soft..if you have a staggered wheel setup then aggressive is the way to go it really helps to whip the rear around to follow the fronts...

now all you need is some toms bracing and you will almost be ready for some canyon carving type driving

now go out and have some fun but please be safe out there
im using the most aggressive in the rear with stock 17" wheels and L-tuned springs/shocks. i was a little worried that it would be too much oversteer and dangerous, but i haven't seen much oversteer yet. the car feel pretty neutral, so i'll keep it here .
Old 12-31-04, 08:05 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jefe
im using the most aggressive in the rear with stock 17" wheels and L-tuned springs/shocks. i was a little worried that it would be too much oversteer and dangerous, but i haven't seen much oversteer yet. the car feel pretty neutral, so i'll keep it here .

setting the rear to the aggressive setting is usually for those who have a staggered wheel/tire setup to aid in having the rear more follow the fronts (whip around)

on stockers be careful (you can confirm this with todd at tm) for going around a curve with extra speed can provide very little warning when the rear wants to whip around esp if you dont have any other bracing or proper lowering

again be safe out there and learn the new characteristics of the new sways
Old 01-04-05, 03:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey congrats on the sways man i have the same setup, and i can't say enough good things about them
Old 01-05-05, 06:24 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great review! now thats only more peer pressure for me to get some lol
Old 01-10-05, 05:34 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we put the car back down, the rear end was way in the air for some reason. We're talking like a 6 or 8" fender gap, from the L-tuned spring's 2". After driving it once, it settled back down. I guess the bar had to settle down to the correct angle.

Your description sounds like the bolts for the swaybar were tightened up before the car was on the ground. Is that right?

I thought the weight of the car had to fully be on the suspension before the final tightening of the swaybar nuts?

Anyone?
Old 01-10-05, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
Your description sounds like the bolts for the swaybar were tightened up before the car was on the ground. Is that right?

I thought the weight of the car had to fully be on the suspension before the final tightening of the swaybar nuts?

Anyone?
ummm not that i have seen, i have seen a lot of sway bars install and they are all done with the car on the lift. eveything tigten u p, car back on teh ground and that's it. if anything i wonder if the bolts were tightened too much?
Old 01-11-05, 06:07 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy were did you buy them from?
Old 01-11-05, 09:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
This is what he said in his post:

I ordered from TMengineering on dec 17, and they got here dec 23. I wasn't even expecting them before Christmas, but they shipped them out on Mon the 20th and apparently UPS was able to get them to me in a matter of days. So thanks to TM (and UPS).
Old 01-11-05, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
yeah another vote for tm engineering i got everything from them