Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 08:22 AM
xGSxDUBZx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=T.L.W.]
Originally Posted by xGSxDUBZx....Now, to me lexus is a P.O.S. :banghead:[/QUOTE

Can i ask what car you drove before this ??

A 2001 suburban. I wanted to get a lexus is because I was paying to much for gas. So, now my car is just sitting at home and i'm now using the burban again. I feel safer driving my suv eventhough i'm spending more money on the gas.
Old 01-06-05, 02:14 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

I'm curious, is this a common thing on GS? cause it sound to be rather scary to have something so important to break.
Old 01-10-05, 07:08 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

call me stupid but where is the lower ball joint... i see a lot of joint
Old 01-11-05, 12:31 PM
p092576
Driver School Candidate

Default ball joint failure

I had the same problem as everybody else...driving down the road and the ball joint seperated from the the lower control arm......screwed up my fender and so on....had to replace the part on site just to move the car...not fun..but solved the solution...still...how do you get those lights to come off...vsc,abs and so on....someone in the beginning of this thread said that it would cost $855 in parts...is this true??????? or is there a simplier suggestion......thanks..Paul...98 gs400...with 20's....also...what does it require to bleed brakes on these cars...the maual I borrowed from the dealership says you need a computer????????
Old 02-21-05, 04:57 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, how lucky you are! So you're finally back in business. Could you please tell me the contact numbers where you bought the ball joints at? I need them fo my SC, too. Thanks.
Old 03-05-05, 01:58 PM
p092576
Driver School Candidate

Default broken ball joints

anyone know what the $855 parts covers...I think I only need the speed sensor on the side I broke or do I need both......
Old 03-12-05, 10:48 AM
GS4_on_20z
Driver School Candidate

i have a 98 also and the same thing happened to me or actually my boyfriend while he was driving it...does this year have some kind of recall for this??? my lights are on too...and my fender got pushed up. ....
Old 03-12-05, 09:51 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_on_20z
i have a 98 also and the same thing happened to me or actually my boyfriend while he was driving it...does this year have some kind of recall for this??? my lights are on too...and my fender got pushed up. ....
I don't think it's a recall or anything. In my case, I need the ball joints because I tore its dust boot while trying to remove it so I need to replace it. Otherwise, it should stay there for a long time. In your case, you may jack up your car to check if the ball joint jam nut is still attached. Also, check for its clip that's inserted through the nut and bend it to prevent the nut gets loose.
Old 03-12-05, 09:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

check here:

http://www.discounttoyotaparts.com
Old 03-14-05, 02:58 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do you check to see if the lower ball joint needs to be replaced?
we need detail instuctions please. what to look/feel for..

how much is the part?

thanks
Old 03-15-05, 08:25 PM
GS4_on_20z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I don't think it's a recall or anything. In my case, I need the ball joints because I tore its dust boot while trying to remove it so I need to replace it. Otherwise, it should stay there for a long time. In your case, you may jack up your car to check if the ball joint jam nut is still attached. Also, check for its clip that's inserted through the nut and bend it to prevent the nut gets loose.
i got it fixed already but my lights under the gauges are on now!!! Any advice as to how I can shut those off??? BTW my horn all of sudden stopped working too...= \ >thanks
Old 03-15-05, 10:59 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corkycal
how do you check to see if the lower ball joint needs to be replaced?
we need detail instuctions please. what to look/feel for..

how much is the part?

thanks
You may jack up the car first and take off the wheels. If you check on the driver side, turn the steering wheel all to the passenger side. The ball joint has a rubber dust boot around it. Hold the control arm(which looks like a V shape and positioned horizontally) firmly and shake it. If it rattles at the "ball joint", then it's time to replace it. Also, check for the ball joint nut that holds the control arm and the knuckle, and the clip inside the nut are still there (the clip must be bent to hold the nut in case it gets loose). Check for pic at www.lextreme.com/PDF/suspfrontaxial.pdf to identify your parts. If possible, take out the clip and retorque the nut to around 45 lbs (I don't have a specific number but it may be more), then put the clip back through the nut and bend it. Then do the same for the lower ball joint. You may repeat the same process on the passenger side. Gook luck!
Old 03-16-05, 12:45 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

man..this thread got me worried.
Old 03-16-05, 07:45 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

whew...glad i was able to replace my passenger side lower ball joint before it separated!!!....it didnt take long but my symptoms were throwing me off...groaning noises, shimmy, and clicks...i thought i may need an alignment or bushings...it occured to me reading through the forums that the ball joint itself may be bad. I checked it and it didnt seem bad until i started taking off the brake caliper and saw the upper arm move up an inch before the lower arm started to move!!! the whole operation took around 30-40 minutes for one side with standard hand tools, no power tools. it helps to have a half-inch drive 18 inch breaker bar thanks for all the info from the forum members...lataz oh yeah parts cost...9.99 for puller, 104.00 and some change for the ball joint from lexus dealer. 1999 GS300
Old 03-16-05, 08:15 AM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Question Lights are on.

Originally Posted by GS4_on_20z
i got it fixed already but my lights under the gauges are on now!!! Any advice as to how I can shut those off??? BTW my horn all of sudden stopped working too...= \ >thanks
If the lights came on after the ball joints were replaced, then they might have damaged the wheel speed sensor. On the horn, it might be a blown fuse.
Will
P.S.
Why are your posts in magenta? LOL

Quick Reply: 98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/