Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 03:21 PM
ghaun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300/400 Ball Joint Recall

Guys and Gals,

I'm new to this forum, but I just saw this thread. I believe that the front ball joints have been recalled on all GS300/400 up through 1997. I didn't see it listed for 1998, but here is the link for the 1997: http://www.recalldata.org/1997/32348.shtml

I have a 1994, and it is recalled as well.

The ball joints are inadequately lubricated and can separate. This sounds exactly what you guys are having problems with. I just caught mine in time, or the same could have been a result. Everybody should get this taken care of, especially something this sever. I would start contacting lexus on this one for the '98 model year. Given the fact that all GS had issues up to this date, then there is a good possibility that there were still problems in early dates of the model year. As for all of the other damage, I would pursue reimbursement from lexus. Take it further if necessary. This is a pretty serious defect for lexus.

Let me know what you guys find out!
Old 03-19-05, 07:54 AM
GS4_on_20z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
If the lights came on after the ball joints were replaced, then they might have damaged the wheel speed sensor. On the horn, it might be a blown fuse.
Will
P.S.
Why are your posts in magenta? LOL
thanks for your help...i 'll look into that..btw...i LIKE magenta! = ) Its a girlie color!
Old 03-19-05, 10:38 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink You Go Girl!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by GS4_on_20z
thanks for your help...i 'll look into that..btw...i LIKE magenta! = ) Its a girlie color!
Always happy to help. Judging from your avitar, I kind of thought you were a female but was not 100% sure. Anyway, the color just makes your posts stand out. Interesting.....
Will
P.S.
Let us know how your car comes out.
Old 03-19-05, 11:07 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Always happy to help. Judging from your avitar, I kind of thought you were a female but was not 100% sure. Anyway, the color just makes your posts stand out. Interesting.....
Will
P.S.
Let us know how your car comes out.
A lady on the forum is always nice. But who knows that's a *******...Just kidding.
Old 03-20-05, 12:19 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Red face That's Cold.

Originally Posted by stevechumo
A lady on the forum is always nice. But who knows that's a *******...Just kidding.
OOOOhhhhhhh!!!!! That's cold hearted Steve. But you never really know, huh?
Will
Old 03-20-05, 04:00 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

OOOOhhhhhhh!!!!! That's cold hearted Steve. But you never really know, huh?
Will
Well, I guess my heart could be a little warmer if I could be proved wrong. I kept scratching my chin wondering about it. A man in his suit doesn't make him a gentleman or vice versa. I'm willing to have my 2 thumbs up if that's a lady, or I'll hold on to my steering wheel and keep revving.
Old 03-26-05, 06:48 PM
yoji6365
Driver

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
I had same problem last year.
I had noise from the front suspension, and took the car to the dealer.
The dealer kept the car for one whole day, and told me there is nothing wrong with the car.
I took my car to Midas next day, and they found both front lower ball joint cracked and loose.
It took them 5 min to find the problem.
I took the car back to the dealer to replace them under warranty.

Is there ball joint in the rear? If so, I need to check those as well.
No ball joints in the rear,
Old 03-31-05, 11:29 AM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default More Questions

Regarding the replacement of the ball joints I have an additional question. It seems that lexus is doing this quite regularly (Ball joint replacement). But in addition, they are also they are recommending replacement of the lower control arm as well, because those rubber bushings are beginning to rot or degrade. The cost is $193 per side!!

My question is although my warranty is expired, should this be covered by Lexus?? Or is it simply a wear item I have to pay for?? HAs anybody had them replaced by the dealer at no cost??

Thanks for the replies.

Doug

PS-I understand as well that there is a polyurethane replacement for this bushing. Does anybody know where to source these?? And there cost??
Old 03-31-05, 01:22 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's funny - I just got off the phone with my dealer in Bellevue and they "can't find that recall"
I sent them the below link as well as the exact same info from the NHTSA web site...I have a '93 so hopefully it's not too late if , in fact, they agree that the recall exists...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

I'm new to this forum, but I just saw this thread. I believe that the front ball joints have been recalled on all GS300/400 up through 1997. I didn't see it listed for 1998, but here is the link for the 1997: http://www.recalldata.org/1997/32348.shtml
Old 03-31-05, 05:22 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS4DOUGIE
PS-I understand as well that there is a polyurethane replacement for this bushing. Does anybody know where to source these?? And there cost??
I'm not sure if these guys have the bushes for your car but I know they have bushes for SC models. However, check it out at: http://www.vftbushes.com. Also, check at www.tmengineering.net. As far as I know, there're many guys make bushes for Lexus.
Old 04-01-05, 10:40 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer emailed me back and apparently the warranty work to fix the recall was done on my car in 1995.
Old 04-01-05, 11:38 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default we should make this a sticky... it could potentially save lives.

we should make this a sticky... it could potentially save lives.
Old 05-05-05, 10:22 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Default balljoints

Originally Posted by cliffud
we should make this a sticky... it could potentially save lives.
Im with Cliffud on this one...im lucky to have brought in my 98 GS300 to the shop this week to put my suspension and rims and asked my mechanic to check out the front end suspension while he was doing the alignment since i've been dealing with this noise coming from the front end...he said that if i brought in my car about 5-10Kms later i would have had a serious mess...possibly having the front end collapsing since my driver side lower balljoint was pretty much gone and the passenger side would probably give sooner or later...both lower balljoints were replaced today!

I seriously recommend anyone with a 98-2000 GS have their balljoints checked out if you haven't already...

I also hope those Daizen control arm bushings are released soon cuz those are next on my maintenance priority list!
Old 05-18-05, 09:34 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toyota Recall of SUVs/Trucks... same prob as GS?

Check out this news article that came out today!

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...1.asp?GT1=6469

Toyota (TM, news, msgs) said the truck and SUV recall covers 774,856 vehicles in the United States, including the 2001-2004 model years of the Tacoma, the 2001-2002 versions of the 4Runner and the 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Toyota said the surface of a ball joint which connects to the front suspension may have been scratched when it was manufactured, which could lead to wear and tear over time.

Any excessive wear or looseness in the joint could force drivers to exert more effort when steering, allow the vehicle to drift and increase the amount of noise from the suspension.
Old 05-18-05, 07:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check them yourself using a pair of very large Channelock pliers; with the car supported under the control arms, wheels off, you then squeeze the balljoint from top and bottom, any visible compression of the assembly during the squeeze would be a bad balljoint.

Quick Reply: 98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/