Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 08:50 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC and ABS lights

Did anybody figure out how to get those lights to turn off.

Im hoping to not have to spend the $855 or whatever to get them to come off.

How do I know if there has been damage to my sensors? My ABS, VSC, lights are on, and I want to get them off right away.

THanks
b
Old 11-26-05, 11:45 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wires on the sensors and see if they were pulled or strained.
Old 11-26-05, 12:11 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default wires look to be pulled

My situation is that when my ball joint broke completely off when pulling out of a parking lot, the car fell hard onto the rim.

I paid my mechanic $35 to install the new replacement ball joint, but on completion of the repair, the VSC off, VSC, and ABS lights were lit up.

I asked him about the sensor, and he stated that he was very careful around the sensor wire cause he is aware of them being fragile.

I really cannot blame him for breaking the wires/sensor, because I cant say with certainty that the fall didnt cause the sensor wire to stretch or whether his actions did. Plus, he only charged me $35 bucks, so I cannot realistically make him pay for a new sensor. ALso, this mechanic is a friend so it wouldnt be cool of me to start accusing him when he was the one doing me a favor.

Anyhow, the wire appears to have been stretched and it definitely doesnt work anymore. Someone on the Cl stated that they re-soldered his wire back on and the sensor worked fine afterwards.

If anybody has suggestions or recommendations on how to do this repair in great detail (DIY with photos) that would be awesome.

Trying to save some money for real mods here not on faulty wiring from a poorly designed part.
Thanks
B

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Check the wires on the sensors and see if they were pulled or strained.
Old 11-26-05, 05:39 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default Tried to fix the sensor

Opened up the sensor and discovered that it had been pulled apart and the wires severed about quarter of an inch above the sensor sheathing (just as another member stated it would be). Tried to reconnect the wires with solder and tape it back together, but I just couldnt get a good connection.

Anyhow, After about 3 hours of fiddling with the part, I was unsuccessful in my repair effort.

If somebody has the skill and some basic tools, they could do the repair. I just ended up cutting the wire too close to the sensor, and thus couldnt get a good attachement point for soldering.

Guess im going to have to purchase a sensor from the internet.

bummer
b
Old 11-28-05, 11:17 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...where are the pics?
Old 11-28-05, 03:27 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default Ordered the speed sensor

Bit the bullet and ordered a new speed sensor cable from our Sponsor - Carson Toyota (Steve Ganz). $170.00 later, I hope to have the part in a week.

Sorry no photos of the part.
b
Old 12-22-05, 03:28 PM
Delta
Driver School Candidate

Default Boom, there goes the ball joint!

Happened to me last night while driving home from a sports bar. i was going about 40 miles an hour straight and slow and then Bam! Loud noise of screeching, the front right of the car dives down and the car starts pulling hard left. I almost went into the other lane of traffic. I immediately try to get the car off of the road and park it in the grass. The car is immobile, and shavings of metal are all over the place. I had to get park place lexus to come pick the car up in a flatbed. I am so lucky. I am so glad I wasn't going 80 miles an hour on the highway or it could have been disastorous. Jeez man that was scary. I took my car in for 90k service a year ago and they apparently never spotted that potential problem. Now the dealer wants $2400 dollars all parts and a new wheel, 1500 in labor. Jesus man that is ridiculous!

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/mdwtexas

check out the pics i took with my cell phone
Old 12-22-05, 03:36 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redbaron
My situation is that when my ball joint broke completely off when pulling out of a parking lot, the car fell hard onto the rim.

I paid my mechanic $35 to install the new replacement ball joint, but on completion of the repair, the VSC off, VSC, and ABS lights were lit up.
same thing happened to me, had to bite the bullet and pay for new sensors from sewell lexus! guess wire failure is pretty common!
Old 12-22-05, 04:31 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default price seems high

I was able to fix my lower ball joint for $75 in parts and $35 in labor.

The speed sensor was $170 and I installed it myself as it is very simple (30 minutes and only requires a socket set and screwdriver). My wheel was scraped up inside from where the A-arm knuckle fell onto the rim causing the shavings which you mentioned. My wheel however was still usable and not damaged to the point of needing replacement.

Check with a mechanic to see if they can install it for less.
good luck

Last edited by redbaron; 12-23-05 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 04:41 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should someone write to lexus and let them know that this is a serious safety issue at bay?
Old 12-22-05, 05:14 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

where did you find the lower ball joint for 75 bucks?
Old 12-22-05, 05:17 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
Sounds like its $75 for 1 side...not both sides.
Old 12-23-05, 12:22 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Default lower ball joint

Contact Steve Ganz our reputable dealer. They can really take care of you with awesome prices.

And yes it was only for one side (ball joint)
b

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
Old 12-26-05, 04:02 PM
Delta
Driver School Candidate

Default Someone is going to die if Toyota doesn't fix this...

Everyone in here seems to have been going moderately slow when their ball joint failed. I was going approximately 35-40 . Seriously though , can you imagine if this happened on the freeway going 80? I don't know about you guys, but I was going in a straight line cruising nice and steady and then everything just happened so fast. Loud noise of the front control arm diving down into the wheel, then the car jerking HARD left !!! I drifted into the oncoming traffic lane. Thank god there was no one going by me at that particlular time or that would have been a head on collision. In addition, I can't even imagine how scary that would be at freeway speeds. Like I said, at 40 mph the wheel turned hard left and I barley got control of the car. There is no way you could control your car at freeway speeds when that part fails.

But what really gets me is the fact that I had just gotten my 90k service 10k ago. Was this overlooked or do they not check them out ?

Think of all of the thousands and thousands of other lexus owners out there that are around the 100k mark on their car that drive with loved ones in the car not knowing of a potential serious manufacturer defect that is putting their lives at risk every day.

I have talked to my rep at the dealership and he doesn't even seem to care. Heck, he believes it's just wear and tear and the customer should pay for it. Well I had a POS Chevrolet
Beretta that I put 246k on and the damn suspension never put my life at risk before. Everything about my GS400 exudes quality and longevity in every fit and fashion from the engine to the interior, so why is it so lacking in such an integral part that plants that car to the road?

Guys this is a manufacturer defect. A part on your car doesn't just break and cause you to go into the other lane of incoming traffic.Depending on which side fails determines which way your car goes hard left or hard right. Mine failed on the right, so my car immediatley went left and since I was already in the left hand lane I swerved into the oncoming traffic lane. I have lost a tremendous amount of confidence in my car. I bought my lexus FOR confidence in knowing that I was purchasing a product with a superior reliability rating and quality, not for one that would jeopardize my life.

Oh this is how much I have to pay to fix a car that put MY life at risk:
Replace RF lower ball joint. Broken ball joint stud -248.00
Replace LF lower ball joint. Excess play in joint. -248.00
Replace RF disc brake dust cover. Hole, due to broken ball joint contact. -418.00
Replace RF wheel. Gouged from broken ball joint contact. -725.00
Replace RF wheel well liner. Hole from broken ball joint allowing to drag tire against wheel liner
Replace RF Abs sensor damaged. -370.00
In addition, the collapse of the ball joint ruined my brembo rotor. So I have to order one of those as well. -130.00

I would gladly pay this amount any day for my life btw. But what about those people who are not going to be as fortunate as me going highway speeds with traffic when theirs fails.

This is the dealership I take my car to. I mean they got a friggin presidential award.

DALLAS--Nov.22, 2005--Park Place Lexus has been named the 2005 Award recipient, Small Business category, for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, the highest level of national recognition for excellence. Park Place is the only automobile dealer to ever win this prestigious Presidential award.

"Receiving the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award is the greatest honor a business can receive," stated Ken Schnitzer, chairman of Park Place Dealerships. "The Park Place Lexus team exemplifies the commitment we have for our clients, members, and vendors to provide exceptional service in every area of our dealerships. This award is a reflection of the day-to-day processes that Park Place Lexus has implemented to ensure quality and performance of the highest level."

Not being able to spot the potential problem at the 90k service is NOT "exceptional service."Neither is the" implementation of processes they have implemented to ensure quality and performance of the highest level."
So
Lastly but not leastly, how many people are going to get seriously injured/die before a recall is issued?

Last edited by Delta; 12-26-05 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-26-05, 11:03 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so how do you check your ball joints?

Quick Reply: 98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/