Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 02:03 AM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
Think of all of the thousands and thousands of other lexus owners out there that are around the 100k mark on their car that drive with loved ones in the car not knowing of a potential serious manufacturer defect that is putting their lives at risk every day.

Lastly but not leastly, how many people are going to get seriously injured/die before a recall is issued?
There're ways to report this problem. I'm driving a SC400 so I don't have this problem. However, you are a victim and you can report this problem to the Federal Trade Commission at www.http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm. (They're the first to turn to). Or you can report it to your state Department of Justice under consumer protection section (I contacted my state of California on somethings else and this agency helped me out very thoroughly). Third is the Better Business Bureau at http://www.bbb.org. And forth is here at http://www.consumer.gov. By doing this, I know some people on this forum might not be happy. But man, I feel your scareful thought. The accident is way too dangerous for a car that's known for reliability and safety. So I hope these unhappy people understand and open their hearts to save lives.
Old 12-27-05, 06:46 AM
Delta
Driver School Candidate

I love girls---- I asked also when I was at the dealership how do you check the ball joints. I also asked for a visual inspection of the car. When I went in the garage the vehicle was on the lift and I asked the mechanic how they check the ball joints. He then put his hands underneath the tire and lifted up. You could see and hear how the the wheel had play in it. If lifted up an inch or two when there should be absolute minimal play.

SC- Thanks for all of the information! I don't understand why someone would get mad when we are trying to fix a potentially serious problem. Believe me I love my car unlike any other car I have had before. It truly is an amazing car. That's why I am so confused. How could a car with this kind of build quality and reliablity track record be susceptible to a suspension flaw that could cause you lose control of your car and have diastorous consequences. I called the manager at park place and he was very understanding. Very professional. He did not get hot headed, or frustrated. He let me talk and explain the whole situation. Not only did he say he would knock down the price of repairs noticeably, but he also recommended that I call a lexus phone number 1-800-25Lexus and let them know about my situation. I did. The lady I talked to was extremely nice and after hearing the story she thought that I would qualify for a toyota good faith assistance, which helps pay for repairs on the car in order to keep a high customer satisfaction and retention rating. She said someone would contact me in 2 days. I have to admit I am really impressed with the lines of the defense lexus has set up. If you are really upset like I was... lexus has people in place to make you happy again.

I will keep you guys updated....
Delta
Old 12-27-05, 07:39 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
so how do you check your ball joints?
The ball joint needs to be loaded when checking for play. When hanging, lifting the wheel will have play even when new. It used to be the "see, it's bad" excuse... The lower A-arm needs to support the weight of the corner when checking for in and out play on the tire. This means you need to jack up the body, support with a jackstand, then with a wooden block in between the jack and the A-arm, lift the a-arm slightly as you take the weight of the auto on the jack. Then check for in and out play in the ball-joint by wabbling the tire in and out. When loaded, any play indicates wear in the joint or joints.
Old 12-27-05, 03:32 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

is there only one lower ball joint per side? does anyone know what this part looks like? does anyone have pictures?
Old 12-28-05, 12:26 AM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tammy
The ball joint needs to be loaded when checking for play. When hanging, lifting the wheel will have play even when new. It used to be the "see, it's bad" excuse... The lower A-arm needs to support the weight of the corner when checking for in and out play on the tire. This means you need to jack up the body, support with a jackstand, then with a wooden block in between the jack and the A-arm, lift the a-arm slightly as you take the weight of the auto on the jack. Then check for in and out play in the ball-joint by wabbling the tire in and out. When loaded, any play indicates wear in the joint or joints.
That's one way to check for balljoint. However, there are 2 other methods to check as in the Lexus repair manual.

First method is for joint play: remove wheel, use a dial indicator with magnetic base, place the base on the strut bar with the spindle parallel to the knuckle. Measure the joint play by the axle is pushed up. The max play is 0.035" or .90 mm. If it's more = replace balljoint.

Second method is for rotation check: remover lower arm, clamp ball joint in the vise, move the balljoint stud back and forth 5 times through its entire range, install nut, use a Inch-lb torque wrench and rotate at 2-4 seconds/turn. Measure on fifth turn. The max range should be in .9 - 26 inch lbs. If it's more = replace balljoint.

For ILOVEGIRLS: The lower balljoint is at the end of the lower control arm behind the brake dust cover. The control arm looks like a V shape. The upper balljoint is also at the end of the upper control arm. There're 2 control arms on each corner wheel. And all balljoints are hidden inside the round rubber dust boot covers with the studs protruding out of the dust boot covers.
Old 12-28-05, 12:48 PM
Hardaway33
Rookie

I just bought a 99 GS 400, should I have my lower ball joint replaced? How would you know if they are going bad? You guys are making me worry!!
Old 12-28-05, 02:45 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just to make myself sleep better at night, i ordered the ball joints yesterday to be installed by this weekend before the new year. the costed me 140.00 shipped from carson. ill feel better once i get the ball joints installed instead of waiting for them to go bad or guessing if they will. so 140 bucks for a piece of mind.
Old 12-28-05, 05:42 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Both of mine were cracked at 35K.
They were making noise so I took it to the dealer. Dealer kept car for one whole day.
The dealer says there is nothing wrong with suspension, and they checked everything they could. I took it to Meineke next they, and the guy there showed me cracked ball joints as soon as he lift the car up.

It's pretty easy to check we the car is on a lift.
Old 12-28-05, 05:51 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get the OEM ball joints instead of aftermarket. Steve Ganz and the Carson crew is the way to go
Old 12-28-05, 06:46 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess this will be my next check on my car. I have never had a ball joint problem on any other new car I have owned in the past 20 years.....at least not a factory defect. Ball joints these days are mostly factory sealed, and don't take grease.

I just turned 100.000 miles a few days ago on my 99 GS400. My tires are wearing perfectly straight with no noises of any kind from my suspension yet. My car is not lowered, and I have the stock 16 inch wheels and tires.

I WONDER how much of this wear could posibly be caused by bigger rims and tires, lowering of the car and stiffer suspension parts than the car was originally designed for? This is JUST a comment, and definitely NOT one to start a huge argument about the merits (or demerits) of lowering cars. We all do what we want with our cars anyway, so this really shouldn't make a difference in my opinion. Just grabbing at straws. Lexus is known for producing quality cars, and this is not rocket science...we just need to know if Lexus made a manufacturing mistake.

I guess what I am asking is:
1. How many failures are on totally stock vehicles?
2. Does EVERY GS owner HAVE to check and replace their ball joints at 100.000 miles?
Someone alluded to the fact that they replaced their defective joints at 35,000 miles. Does ANYONE have a recall from NHTSA on the 98 and newer GS's?
3. Are the replacement ball joints BETTER than the ones we are replacing, or should this be a MANDATORY replacement item? If it is a mandatory replacement item, at WHAT interval should this be done? The recall should indicate the frequency of the replacement for the future.

If this is a manufacturer defect, Lexus should step up and replace all ball joints and associated components that were damaged as a result of defective steering components. Folks that already paid for this repair should be reimbursed.

I will have my suspension checked by my alignment shop ASAP, since it seems that Lexus dealers couldn't find it on more than one occasion so far. This pretty disturbing, since NONE of us on this site are GRANNY drivers. The potential for a major accident with loss of life is tremendous..

Enjoy your holiday season everyone!

Last edited by gserep1; 12-28-05 at 07:18 PM. Reason: WOW THIS IS DISTURBING
Old 12-28-05, 07:00 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gserep1
3. Are the replacement ball joints BETTER than the ones we are replacing, or should this be a MANDATORY replacement item? If it is a mandatory replacement item, at WHAT interval should this be done?
That's a good question, I would hope that the new ones won't fail as easily.

I have a question too:

Of those who have had their ball-joints fail, did you have any symptoms such as shakey steering wheel, noises when turning, uneven tire wear, etc.?
Old 12-28-05, 07:11 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

It is common knowledge that many owners of GS's with stock 17 inch tires had severe wear problems, especially on the inside of the tire. Part of it may have been slack in the steering gearbox, and many owners took out the slack with a simple adjustment.

Another question I have is: do owners of 18 to 20 inch tires and wheels experience abnormal tire wear? Is this the NATURE OF THE BEAST, and the price people gladly pay for running bigger tires and wheels?

My experience with stock 17 inch wheels and tires was excessive tire noise, so I elected to go with the 16's. Not very stylish, but I have had no wear problems to date. The new 06 GS's seem to have no problems with their tire/wheel combination, and seems generally quiet, BUT it is still NEW! Time will tell if the 18's stay quiet.

Last edited by gserep1; 12-28-05 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 08:24 PM
Delta
Driver School Candidate

Default update...

Guys my car has been at the dealership since last thursday! I'm picking it up tomorrow morning and I talked them into throwing in a free detail. I had the new daizen bushings put in as well since it was there so I can't wait to see how the car drives. My rear end link was broken also but they wanted 232 bucks to fix that. I asked how much the part was and they said 104. I called sewell lexus and they had the part for 77 bucks and I will put it in myself to save a little bit. I have been driving around a 2005 IS 300 since last thursday with only 1500 miles on it that they gave me as a loaner and I must say that car is pretty awesome. Not the same power as GS 400 , but handles frieking awesome, and engine is silky smooooth. I've enjoyed testing the capablilites of the car hehe

Oh and Gsrep I had stock wheels and suspension except for sways and what not and it happened at 100k. The biggest problem is when that fails, it breaks alot of other crap on your car. When the ball joint snaps the control arm dives into the wheel , warping the control arm, gouging your wheel,ruining your ABS sensor, ruining your rotor , etc. So I think everyone needs to have them checked out every 30k or so, or at least I am!!!
Old 12-28-05, 09:47 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

THANKS SO MUCH!
That's good enough for me..I'm checking mine TOMORROW.
Old 12-29-05, 05:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stick with the oem balljoints.. The aftermarket ones are flimsy and don't last that long. Companies like Moog make ball joint for or cars that will not last. Just get them from Carson (Steve Ganz and crew) and you will be in good shape

Quick Reply: 98GS300 Lower Ball Joint came off???...Question ?>=/