Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed Daizen Front LCA Bushing & Tokico Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 03:44 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
And this is EXACTLY what I don't understand about some of you guys. Why buy a luxury cruiser and turn it into a track car? That's like people who buy Escalades/Expeditions and lower them. I gave the Whiteline bushings the big thumbs down because they suck in terms of ride quality. I bought a Lexus because of the ride quality, why would I destroy that with some whiteline bushings? That's called de-engineering, and I'm not down with that.

Scoobie and 240 guys can disagree all the hell they want, this isn't a 240/scoobie board, it's a LEXUS board. So obviously I'd only be interested in things for my Lexus. Why didn't you get a Supra or a 240? Why not a lighter car since you're interested in taking it to the track? I just don't get some of you guys who go out and get a luxury cruiser and then de-engineer the damn thing. There's easier and BETTER ways to go about building a track car, like picking a lighter vehicle and one that was initially designed for your intentions. No offense, so please don't take it that way, but it just seems backwards...next thing ya know people will be trying to turn Hummers into track cars, lol.
It's the fun of building someting that was never meant to be fast and turning it into the unexpected. I find joy in overcoming a challenge. I could have bought a vette and made it fast easily. But what's the fun in that? Maybe it's the engineer in me. Maybe it's the man inside of me. When someone says it can't be done, I try my best to disprove them.

And everything you described above is the definition of a sleeper.
Old 01-14-05, 06:41 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mungrin,

I doubt the Tokco blues are contributing to the rough ride. I replaced the OEM KYBs with Tokico and the car rides great, more control without added harshness.
Old 01-14-05, 08:27 PM
mungrin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I thought as well.Everyone says that Tokicos aint off from OEm.My car rides ruff.Can my upper bushings be worn?
Old 01-15-05, 05:32 PM
SCV8
Instructor

He's right, it's not the shocks, doubt that oem would ride much better, more likely the bushings/alignment.
My boss used to have generic KYBs on his, didn't ride all that great, the aftermarket KYBs are all valved the same, regardless of the car they're for, ie. Yugo shocks have the same settings as the Lexus LS400, kind of pricey for that kind of product imo.A lot of the OEM shocks are made by KYB, and totally different.
BTW, I used to live on Staten Island, but that was back when the Rapid Transit cars still had wicker seats!
Old 01-15-05, 09:03 PM
mungrin
Driver

Im going to get an alignment this week.How does an alignment affect ride?I never thought of it being my alignment,I thought thats just making the wheels straight.
Old 01-16-05, 02:31 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

i'm going to be swapping out my suspension in two-three months for the tokico illumina set. so if you wait i'll probably have my stock suspension up for sale. the shocks are only a yr old and the springs have been there since i got the car but when i went in for my 60k a few weeks ago it looks fine.
i need to get my bushings looked at too. i'm leaning toward oem if i can get a decent deal.
i'm in jersey btw
Old 01-16-05, 04:15 PM
mungrin
Driver

Originally Posted by no2faber
i'm going to be swapping out my suspension in two-three months for the tokico illumina set. so if you wait i'll probably have my stock suspension up for sale. the shocks are only a yr old and the springs have been there since i got the car but when i went in for my 60k a few weeks ago it looks fine.
i need to get my bushings looked at too. i'm leaning toward oem if i can get a decent deal.
i'm in jersey btw

excellent.Keep in touch and let me know when ur doing it.Are you going to do the install urself?
Old 01-16-05, 06:36 PM
djl
Intermediate

Mungrin,

I just installed Daizen front LCA bushings, they definitely transmit more feedback and road noise, but tolerable in my opionion. My other ride is an Infiniti FX with sports package, so I prefer a firmer ride. I have the rear Daizen bushing set as well, have to find the time to put them in. I'll give another update once everything is in. By the way, I'm in northern NJ, 30 minutes from NYC.

djl
Old 01-16-05, 06:40 PM
djl
Intermediate

Mungrin,

Forgot to ask how your tires are? Old/worn tires tend to make the ride rougher as well. I'm running 245/40 18's.

djl
Old 01-16-05, 07:04 PM
mungrin
Driver

Im running 245/40/18 front and 255/40/18 rear
Tires all seam good but there is something wrong.Ever since i put shocks on ive been hearing rubbing noises when going over extreme bumps or speed bumps.Im hoping this is due to the alignment and also what PSI should i be running at?
Old 01-16-05, 07:17 PM
djl
Intermediate

I'm running 35 psi all around, not too harsh and even tire wear.
Old 01-21-05, 07:48 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

I would just like to comment, I have tokico blue struts.... My oem struts were 12 years old and were completely shot. The tokico's did give the ride some punch, in other words, the car was slightly stiffer, but it now rides smooth and handles very well. Tokico blues keep the stock ride quality, but the bushings are more important.
Old 01-21-05, 09:33 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by verylost
It's the fun of building someting that was never meant to be fast and turning it into the unexpected. I find joy in overcoming a challenge. I could have bought a vette and made it fast easily. But what's the fun in that? Maybe it's the engineer in me. Maybe it's the man inside of me. When someone says it can't be done, I try my best to disprove them.

Mike, I dunno what that was all about, but weren't you the one who said:
Originally Posted by mikeloc24
I'm telling you man, if I had 300hp I'd be good to go. That's all I need around LA. I don't do straight line racing, but I do get involved in agressive street driving where I need to be able to launch quickly off the line and also handle/brake extremely well.
You're contradicting yourself man.

~Alan
Old 01-23-05, 02:54 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

i would definitely like to do the install w/ myself provided that there's someone who's done it before to guide for through it. i heard it's not too bad if there's someone who's done it b4. i don't want to f-up my suspension. and since i'm in college and live out of state i don't exactly have tools and a garage to work w/ but we'll see.
anyway. suspension is turning out to be expensive.
camber kit 130 x 2 + shipping = 280
bushings or control arms? anywhere between 200-500 not including labor. have to see what needs to be replaced first
tokico illumina set. about 500
that's about 1k not including labor.
Old 01-24-05, 11:07 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by verylost

I totally understand

And Alan, what I mean is I'm not about turning the SC into a track car, period...it's a luxury cruiser that's grossly underpowered, as we all know. Sure I want to up the hp...but not while stripping the luxury out of the car...part of the luxury is the smooth ride, you can still have a smooth ride AND a little more power without de-engineering the car ya know

so see, no contradicting whatsoever