Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what size bolt is the bolt that holds the rear rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 01:14 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do u guys think that the brake adjuster on the inside is on really tight?
Old 03-19-05, 04:18 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joshoowa
my dad's friend thats here with me says i need to remove that black bolt in the center the big 32mm one. do i need to?
NOPE - And don't take any advice from your dad's friend ever again.

Did you spray WD at the base of each of the bolt holes as well?

The bolts you need are Grade 8. Grade A is for eggs.

Which way are you hammering?

You should be tapping against the back side of the rotor, aiming towards yourself, or away from the car, however you wanna look at it. Use only a rubber mallet otherwise place a block of wood against the rotor and a small 5 lb. sledge.

I think tapping all the way around is better than whacking it hard in the same spot.. You need to loosen the rust all the way around.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-19-05 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-19-05, 04:32 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im back at it again.... i still cant get it off! i tried the other side this time still no luck... my dad's friend thats here with me says i need to remove that black bolt in the center the big 32mm one. do i need to?

ok

start from the beginning

1.you loosened the lug nuts

2.jacked up a little bit

3. took of the rear wheel

then what have you done ??
Old 03-19-05, 04:33 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

and dont listen to your father friend

if all else fails you might have to use a little heat to loosen up the rust but let a pro do that
Old 03-19-05, 07:55 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

haha yeah i didnt remove the hub bolt... i finally got them suckers off... it use the prethreaded holes and surely enough it "popped" you guys werent kiding when u say they would "pop" off.

BTW when i first started this thread i posted that the bolt was a 7mm with a 1.0 pitch.. actually its an 8mm with a 1.0 pitch
Old 03-19-05, 09:51 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

haha yeah i didnt remove the hub bolt... i finally got them suckers off... it use the prethreaded holes and surely enough it "popped" you guys werent kiding when u say they would "pop" off.

BTW when i first started this thread i posted that the bolt was a 7mm with a 1.0 pitch.. actually its an 8mm with a 1.0 pitch
Congrats
Old 03-19-05, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahaha you thought we were kidding? some on, you need to know w are seriours always the power of screw can be pretty enormous if you do it the right way. the force it assert on the back hat when you put a screw is pretty darn big
Old 03-19-05, 11:31 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, using the right thread size is important. I couldn't tell from your explanation if the thread stripped or if it snapped off. Now I know you had the wrong size thread so it would just slip.

The first time you do this it has a cracking sound that sounds like something broke, so yeah it really pops when it comes loose.
Old 03-20-05, 06:51 PM
erics3000
Driver School Candidate

Default How to remove rotors

There are a few small holes that you need to thread some little bolts into. This will push the rotor away from the hub. The holes may be covered by dust covers. You will see these little holes around the center of the rotor. Just thread it in slow and they will pop right off.
Old 03-20-05, 06:57 PM
erics3000
Driver School Candidate

Oh I read all the post and see you finally got them off. Sometimes you cant be afraid to use a little force but whne it looks like it is not going your way then do some research. Cool...Another note ..If you have arotor that is really worn on 1 side and no the other you might need a new caliper. When I got my car the brakes were neglected and the 20's and heavy driving tore up the rotors and I needed to replace 1 rear caliper...Cool ...When ever you are removing brakes front or rear you always want to loosen the cap to the brake resovior. Whne you push the pistions back in the caliper for new brakes, If you do not have tehap off you might pop a seal on a caliper..Thats all the little things I know off the top of my head...Seee yeah./..
Old 03-20-05, 06:58 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

When you put the rotors back on (which I'm sure you've already done...rendering this post a little less useful), put some grease on the back of the rotor (the mating surface, not the braking surface, obviously); this will help prevent seizing for next time. You may still need the bolts but much less effort.
Old 03-20-05, 07:03 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonathancl
When you put the rotors back on (which I'm sure you've already done...rendering this post a little less useful), put some grease on the back of the rotor (the mating surface, not the braking surface, obviously); this will help prevent seizing for next time. You may still need the bolts but much less effort.

or put antisieze
Old 03-20-05, 07:37 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Assuming you're still running stock rotors - Last time I was due for resurfacing, I decided to put a couple hundred bucks more into it, skip the resurfacing (rotors were warped - stock rotors are bad for this), and I bought new slotted Rotora rotors from Carson. Haven't regretted it since, car stops way smoother and rotors haven't warped. Just an idea I thought I'd run by you since you got the rotors off.
Old 03-20-05, 09:16 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by erics3000
Oh I read all the post and see you finally got them off. Sometimes you cant be afraid to use a little force but whne it looks like it is not going your way then do some research. Cool...Another note ..If you have arotor that is really worn on 1 side and no the other you might need a new caliper. When I got my car the brakes were neglected and the 20's and heavy driving tore up the rotors and I needed to replace 1 rear caliper...Cool ...When ever you are removing brakes front or rear you always want to loosen the cap to the brake resovior. Whne you push the pistions back in the caliper for new brakes, If you do not have tehap off you might pop a seal on a caliper..Thats all the little things I know off the top of my head...Seee yeah./..
never thought about taking the brake reservoir cap off but i will next time.... the rotors seemed to be evenly warned, what about the pads? i noticed that on both calipers one pad seemed to be a little more worned than the other pad, i would say like maybe 1mm more worned down.

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Assuming you're still running stock rotors - Last time I was due for resurfacing, I decided to put a couple hundred bucks more into it, skip the resurfacing (rotors were warped - stock rotors are bad for this), and I bought new slotted Rotora rotors from Carson. Haven't regretted it since, car stops way smoother and rotors haven't warped. Just an idea I thought I'd run by you since you got the rotors off.
yeah i was thinking about doing this too, but decided to just cut them once. next time around i'll be replacing the rotors with cross drilled replacements.

Last edited by joshoowa; 03-20-05 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-21-05, 06:52 AM
erics3000
Driver School Candidate

Default brakes 101

1 mm your fine...You will notice 1 pad completely worn or close to it and the other like new.. I do Like to resurface the rotors almost everytim I put new pads on all cars.

Quick Reply: what size bolt is the bolt that holds the rear rotor?