Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what size bolt is the bolt that holds the rear rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 03:28 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I've got a question. I just received my new Brembo rotors today. The (2) 7mm - 1.0 pitch threads are on the FRONT rotors and not the rear rotors (see pics below)! I thought these were supposed to be drilled and tapped on the REAR rotors for ease of removal? Can someone please explain?

FRONT ROTOR w/drilled and tapped holes

REAR ROTOR w/no drilled and tapped holes

Last edited by tomtnc; 04-05-05 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 08:32 AM
kaizen9
Driver School Candidate

Default Am I missing something here?

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
NOPE - And don't take any advice from your dad's friend ever again.

Did you spray WD at the base of each of the bolt holes as well?

The bolts you need are Grade 8. Grade A is for eggs.

Which way are you hammering?

You should be tapping against the back side of the rotor, aiming towards yourself, or away from the car, however you wanna look at it. Use only a rubber mallet otherwise place a block of wood against the rotor and a small 5 lb. sledge.

I think tapping all the way around is better than whacking it hard in the same spot.. You need to loosen the rust all the way around.

I am also replacing my rear rotors and used a 8mm bolt to pop them loose. But when I tried pulling it out , it is getting hung by what I think is the parking brake (even thou it is released.) I have tap it with a rubber mallet and it loosen up a bit but still has that spring like feel that does not allow me to completely pull it off. btw - I have no luck of trying to tap it all the way around since there is this metal shield at the inner side preventing me to do so.

I recently had the car in for a scheduled maintenace at the local dealership here in No.Cal and they did adjust the parking brake. Do you guys think this is the culprit? Can I adjust the parking brakes to loosen it up for now?

Help...need you guy's expert opinion.
Old 04-20-05, 09:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizen9
I am also replacing my rear rotors and used a 8mm bolt to pop them loose. But when I tried pulling it out , it is getting hung by what I think is the parking brake (even thou it is released.) I have tap it with a rubber mallet and it loosen up a bit but still has that spring like feel that does not allow me to completely pull it off. btw - I have no luck of trying to tap it all the way around since there is this metal shield at the inner side preventing me to do so.

I recently had the car in for a scheduled maintenace at the local dealership here in No.Cal and they did adjust the parking brake. Do you guys think this is the culprit? Can I adjust the parking brakes to loosen it up for now?

Help...need you guy's expert opinion.
that's weird, did you try to apply parking brake again and release it?

mine didn't came off first only to find ou t that the parking brake was applied. as soon as i let go it came right off
Old 04-25-05, 12:09 AM
kaizen9
Driver School Candidate

tried applying and releasing the breaks several times and it was still stuck. Talked to a local mechanic and he advise me to adjust the parking brakes. sure enough it came off easier. parking brakes made it difficult to pull it out straight. I guess the mechanic who serviced the car adjusted the parking brakes a little too much.

thanks for leading me to the right direction.
Old 04-25-05, 02:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizen9
tried applying and releasing the breaks several times and it was still stuck. Talked to a local mechanic and he advise me to adjust the parking brakes. sure enough it came off easier. parking brakes made it difficult to pull it out straight. I guess the mechanic who serviced the car adjusted the parking brakes a little too much.

thanks for leading me to the right direction.
wow so that means the parking brake was like always partially on? damn...
Old 04-30-05, 09:41 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

if its stuck from within then u'll need to fiddle with the brake adjuster. theres a rubber plug on the hat of rotor, rotate the rotor so the the plug is at 180degrees take the plug off and you'll notice a gear thats adjustable... use a screw driver slide it in and move the gear downwards. dont be scared it clicks everytime u move it a notch, just do as much as u like b/c it will eventuall stop itself... after that try poping the rotor out with the 8mm screws.

now when u reinstall the rotor just move that gear (brake adjuster) all the way up, after that the rotor should not be able to spin, then click the brake adjuster gear downwards 3-4 times...to make sure try spining the wheel, it should be able to spin freely.

on make sure no e-brake is on

edit: oopss did not read ur post entirely, great to hear u got them off lol