Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lower ball joint???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-05, 05:58 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower ball joint???

problem: The right hand side lower ball joint was replaced when the car was purchased, it was replaced by local Oakville Lexus, today in a indoor parking lot, when turning I can hear this "click click" sound, its not loud, but I can hear it.

it sounded very much like my front sway bar end link bushings on my Volvo before it went, but then I just remember the lower ball joint was replaced, what do you guys think?
Old 01-15-05, 08:00 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

This clicking is sometimes cause by the brakes. I believe the back of the brake pad has to be regreased. Check out this Toyota Technical Service Bulletin which is located in the CL library: https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/1940/1/156/
Old 01-18-05, 01:43 AM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default Clicks in steering

I've been getting all kinds of clicking and clunking suspension and steering noises on mine for about a year now. Every shop seems to have a different opinion on the cause. Last week, I got rid of some of the noises by replacing the left and right lower ball joints and left outer tie rod end. I've heard several times that the strut mount is a common cause of noises for our cars, too.

As for ball joints, a visual inspection for ripped boots oozing grease doesn't always reveal problems. A joint can still be bad without ripping the boot. I jacked up the car, grabbed the tire and tried to move it in different directions. In my case, there was some movement and a clunking noise when I grabbed the bottom of the wheel and pulled towards me. The boot on the tie rod end was ripped and oozing grease. So, that one was easy to spot.

Even after replacing those 3 parts, I stil get some clunks, especially while steering while stationary or at ver low speeds. I'm going to check the strut mounts next... afger I deal with my ABS & VSC light problem.
Old 01-18-05, 11:27 AM
GS408
Pole Position

i have the clunk noise just as described!
Old 01-18-05, 11:44 AM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default Clunk

Then you should jack up the car and see if there's any unusual play in the wheel.

Replacing the lower ball joint(s) yourself is not terribly involving if you've done some kind of suspension work before. If you've never done ball joint replacement before, it could take a couple of hours. If you've done it before, maybe 30 min. Other than standard tools, you should get some type of puller to remove the ball joint and tie-rod end. I bought a "pitman arm puller / tie rod end remover" for $9.99 from the local auto parts store, Autozone, and the same tool worked fine on both, tie rod end and ball joint. Without the puller it can be a very difficult procedure. Whatever you do, be very careful with the speed sensor and wire! I'm having to deal with that now; waiting for someone to reply to my post with fault code descriptions so I can narrow it down to right side or left side.

Again, if that's not the problem, I think the strut mounts might be suspect. I'm checking those on my GS this weekend.

Good luck
Old 01-18-05, 02:12 PM
GS408
Pole Position

hey thanks for the info! you described exactly what this one mechanic shop told me. Expect they said they were only 80 percent sure that was the problem so i didn't have them do it. I feel more confident now.

i am taking my car to the dealer because i have never worked on the suspension before.
Old 01-19-05, 06:18 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

I did a quick inspection (as I live in the frigid north), and everything seems good, I can only hear it in indoor parking spaces, in the spring I'll take more close look and replace some bushings to ensure safety.

thanks a lot for the advice!
Old 01-26-05, 12:16 PM
GS408
Pole Position

my problem is solved...i had to replace both the front lower ball joints....the lexus dealer also put some grease on all of my brakes.....now the car runs smooth and no clunk sounds!
Old 01-26-05, 12:59 PM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default Noise

That's good news. On my mysterious noises, ball joint replacement solved most of the noise problem. The remaining noises were remedied, same as what your dealer did, by lubricating the rest of the suspension. Nice and quiet. Now we're all happy.
Old 03-11-05, 06:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LB Lex
This clicking is sometimes cause by the brakes. I believe the back of the brake pad has to be regreased. Check out this Toyota Technical Service Bulletin which is located in the CL library: https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/1940/1/156/
Is there by chance a DIY posted anywhere for this?
Old 03-12-05, 03:13 AM
moocowman
Driver School Candidate

Default For the brake pad clicking or lower ball joints?

My brake pads have always clicked the first time I step on the brake after going from reverse to forward, or vice versa. You can hear it more clearly in enclosed areas, like parking garages. I could never get rid of this no matter how much I greased the back of the pads. What I think they intend for you to do is to grease the back of the brake pads, like you usually do when you change the brake pads.

As for ball joint replacement, I remember seeing some posts on this doing a search. I don't remember how I did it. I just remember a using pitman arm puller made the job alot easier. At Autozone, there are 2 sizes. The one I used was the smaller one. I think it was somthing like $10 and much easier to use than a pickle fork and it can be used on the lower ball joints and outer tie rod end if needed.