Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 11:19 AM
trimless
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diy

Lex-

I've done plenty of suspension work before, I think I'll give this a try and just go have it aligned. I probably need a service manual though just to be sure I'm doing this right. I have a spring compressor to take out the factory parts if it is required. Spending a day under the car sounds like a better option than parting with $300+ anyday. I'd rather invest some money in a service manual than pay somebody to install this. Where's a good source for a service manual- anyone? I see that the CD's are about $35, so that is what I'm buying unless there is a reason to pay $150 for the hard copy.

Last edited by trimless; 01-27-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-27-05, 01:27 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trimless
Lex-
I have a spring compressor to take out the factory parts if it is required. ... I see that the CD's are about $35, so that is what I'm buying unless there is a reason to pay $150 for the hard copy.
You only need the spring compressor if you want to separate the OEM shocks and springs.

As for the CDs, are these the ones you see on eBay? Unless there is a new batch for sale, they are NOT the same as the contents of the hard copy. The CDs have some specific and a bunch of generic info. They definitely do not have some of the info that members have scanned and posted on CL.
Old 01-27-05, 02:07 PM
trimless
Rookie

[QUOTE=Neo]You only need the spring compressor if you want to separate the OEM shocks and springs.

As for the CDs, are these the ones you see on eBay? Unless there is a new batch for sale, they are NOT the same as the contents of the hard copy. The CDs have some specific and a bunch of generic info. They definitely do not have some of the info that members have scanned and posted on CL.[/QUOTE

Neo-

I think the Bilstein PSS will require that I take apart the factory spring and mount on t he existing hardware. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The CD I located appears to be fasctory OEM at http://www.cdmanualwarehouse.com/
Old 01-27-05, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
yeah jon that statement would be true for teins , hks etc but the bilsteins you have to reuse your oem strut mount however the sweet part of the deal is that you don not need a spring compressor/clap to disassble or to reassenble.. so if you have basic mech abilities to remove from the car , bang ,you just saved 300-400
actually same for the tein HA, you need to reuse the strut mount as well.
Old 01-28-05, 05:43 AM
trimless
Rookie

Default PSS Install

I looked at the stock set up and it's looks fairly easy to remove. I think that I'll try this without the service manual's help. One question for someone who has done this b-4 Jacking the car up to let the wheels hang free- will that releive all of the spring pressue to get the struts out or will I need to unbolt something else?