Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H&R Springs - PLEASE READ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-01, 12:46 PM
DFox2

Cool

I wanted to close the gap between the stock 17's and the wheel well on my IS300. A local shop recommended H&R Springs that I had installed yesterday. It dropped the front 1.4" and the rear 1.3". I'm not experienced at all when it comes to car mods. The look is what I wanted however the rear wheels aren't perfectly aligned with the road anymore. They slightly bow out at the bottom. The camber is obviously off. The guy at the shop said this is 'normal' when you lower a car, but I can't see how better performance is acheived when the wheels aren't perfectly aligned with the road. Not to mention proper tire wear.

What can I do to fix this? Is there a camber adjustment? Or perhaps an shorter lower a-arm to compensate with the lower ride height?
Old 05-20-01, 02:12 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, for road/ racing, a little camber is PERFERABLE. 1 to 2 degrees depending on how you like it and the road/track.

And yes, when you lower the car it usually happens.

Unfortunately, I don't have Altezza Hyper Rev book here, so I can't say for sure what kits are out there but usually, you can get an kit that allows you to adjust it a few degrees plus or minus...

Last edited by Manaray; 05-21-01 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-20-01, 02:52 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not heard that kind of ex[eroence before. which shop did the install for you in LA?

thanks
Old 05-20-01, 03:47 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

as fara as I knowe there not a camber kit.. on some of the Coilover kit they have some camber adjsutments on the pillow mounts...that is alot of money to invest ..unless you want something more racey and alot stiffer that is up to you
Old 05-20-01, 05:15 PM
VVTIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my Springs and shocks installed they adjusted the camber along with the alignment. I love the ride, it is stiffer but more sporty. It looks a little like the BMW 3 series with the sport suspension, right above the tires.
Old 05-20-01, 08:26 PM
DFox2

USCSTAN- I like the ride. I haven't tried any other springs so I don't know the difference. Compared to the stock set up, it's definately more stiff. I can feel the road a lot more.
GS4WILL- I bought the springs from DARKSIDE MOTORING and they referred me to a place in Canoga Park that does most of their work called TR / Tony Fuchs.
VVTIS- when you had the springs installed did they adjust your camber?
Does the IS have a camber adjustment?

Thanks for the replies! Any other comments, and/or suggestions, please let me know.
Old 05-20-01, 08:32 PM
VVTIS
Driver

When they aligned my car they told me they adjusted the cambers, they called the lexus service department about that and my headlight sensor. I believe they did it, because when we first got it off the stand after being installed the wheels were at an angle, but after the alignment and adjusting they were back to normal. I got them installed at a local NTB, not sure if you have those in Cali, but it is a part of Sears.
Old 05-20-01, 08:58 PM
DFox2

VVTS- What headlight sensor? and why did it need adjustment? By the way, what springs and shocks did you get? Were they from Sears?? -Thanks again.
Old 05-21-01, 12:21 AM
DFox2

USCSTAN- I thought to myself prior to install...."is 1.3" really enough???" and everyone kept telling me that it will be an obvious difference. They were right! It looks great. Apparently, 19's will fit fine, according to the owner of DARKSIDE MOTORING, even with the drop. Like you said though, I'm sure you would have problems. I definately wouldn't go lower than this. I have to be careful going out of some driveways now so the front tire 'flaps' don't scrape.
Old 05-21-01, 06:00 AM
VVTIS
Driver

Fox, I PMed you. I.3 is being conservative, after it drops it looks closer to 2 in, mine sits right on top of the stock tires.