Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 11:52 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 309 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I agree with this (except for the noise part ). Everyone's tolerance is different. This is why I swapped out the Flex for the CS and never looked back. Others like Bitkahuna and Hameed (and you) like the Flex just fine.
I am going to sound deaden my car to death (when I eventually replace the audio system), so hopefully the "noise" issue will go away.

I don't really know about the so called "noise" issue with the Flex as I don't remember the car being any less quiet when I had the OEM suspension. But then my old age (and attendant memory loss) may be playing tricks on me. I dunno. Needless to say, I am very happy with the Flex!
Old 02-01-05, 11:58 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Flex on the softest settings are no where near an OEM ride if you ask me.
I guess my OEM ride was messed up. Either way i'm happy with tein flex and when set on standard its comfortable (for me), don't know 'bout you. My flex manual said there were 16 settings, 8 being standard, but I can turn past 16 but I haven't gone past 20 because they say may cause damage [but its unlikely i think] - just like they put "not a toy" on knives or whatever analogy you want to use. You can go past 16, but there must be something that Tein is afraid of that they put "don't go past 16". Tein just says it so if you break it, going past 16 you can't complain to them, and i think the warranty voids, if you have one.

Last edited by newyorksc; 02-01-05 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-01-05, 12:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I don't really know about the so called "noise" issue with the Flex as I don't remember the car being any less quiet when I had the OEM suspension. But then my old age (and attendant memory loss) may be playing tricks on me. I dunno.
I think you are just getting olf Hameed. LOL.

I think some of the noise is coming from the metal pillowball on the Flex. It gives you more handling and road feedback but you pay for it in noise. When I had the Flex, it did not bother me that much but if I had a choice, I'd rather have quiet.

Originally Posted by vredniykot
yes i'm sure it has that many clicks, we've met up with Scott (ki_soarer) in Orlando and we did open the hood and counted the clicks
I do not dispute you on how many clicks there physically are (and I said that earlier too). I am just saying that Tein does not recommend using above the 16th click. Why? You'd have to ask them.

Like 1993SCTT alluded to, you can do it but there has to be a reason why they wanted to protect themselves on how far to click. Technically, it is just a valve and there is no click. The adjustment **** just have clicks to help make it easier to set. When you install the EDFC, that adjustment **** goes away and the EDFC motor is calibrated to turn in 16 or 32 click increments. When in 32 mode, you are adjusting by "1/2 clicks" so the motor does not let you go more than the 16th click setting.
Old 02-01-05, 01:02 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 309 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I think you are just getting olf Hameed. LOL.

I think some of the noise is coming from the metal pillowball on the Flex. It gives you more handling and road feedback but you pay for it in noise. When I had the Flex, it did not bother me that much but if I had a choice, I'd rather have quiet.
Yes, I am sure that anyone who drives a Tein Flex vs. Tein CS equipped car, he/she will notice the difference.

I was just trying to say that since I have only driven a Tein Flex GS, I am not aware of the noise issue! This may very well be all a person needs to know when they want to pick one or the other unless they are super sensitive to noise and in that case they should not be changing the suspension anyway, so that is a moot point.

When I compare my GS (and my memory does not fail me here ) to the 96 E320 I had before it, even the stock GS was "noisy" compared to the MB. I am obviously referring to overall noise levels in the car as opposed to noise created only by the metal pillow ball mount on the Tein Flex suspension. However as I mentioned before, I intend to rectify this when I sound deaden the ****** out of the car. That should fix the overall noise level as well as any noise introduced by the Tein Flex.
Old 02-01-05, 05:33 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not road noise that we are reffering too. There is what sounds like clunking sometimes.
Old 02-03-05, 08:31 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Wow, that's dedication. How often do you track the car? I think some bracing might help on the track too.

I track the car as often as I can afford it - normally between March - November when the weather is OK.

You can see the racetrack vids at www.lexusvertex.com/movies.htm

I will probably opt for a front & rear strut brace + anti-rolls to go with the coilovers.

I wanted to avoid HKS stuff as it's designed for Japanese roads, not Scottish roads.

I road in a Supra with HKS suspension, it had a burst shock and it bottomed out a bit. The ride was a bit hard.

I had my heart set on Tein RA but being re-built periodically doesn't sound good to me. The other options is the Blitz coil-overs. I can't afford more than a 30MM drop from standard so I can get over speed bumps. The Tein stuff seems ideal with adjustable height and electronic damping settings...but back to that re-building thing it isn't good.
Old 02-03-05, 09:01 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

yea the rebuild is what turned me off but supposedly the RA is a racing shock and they say that as such it is normally not an issue for a racing team to have them rebuilt. I really dont remember how often they said it was normally done though.
Old 02-04-05, 03:51 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the Tein RA was street/track use. There is another type of suspension, N1 I think, which is track only.
Old 02-04-05, 05:04 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

If your really interested I would say call Tein USA and talk to one of there sales people for the straight scoop