Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 06:16 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tein coilovers

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy Tein coilovers, CS or Flex. To current owners of either, do you ever regret your decision of choosing one over the other (CS for comfort, Flex for performance)? Thanks for the feedback.

djl
Old 01-31-05, 06:28 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

myself being an owner of tein flex, i say its worth the 1200
can't tell you about the cs because i don't have it
but the flex comes with things the cs doesn't.
Old 01-31-05, 06:34 PM
djl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1993SCTT
myself being an owner of tein flex, i say its worth the 1200
can't tell you about the cs because i don't have it
but the flex comes with things the cs doesn't.
Do you find the ride rough with the Flex, especially being in NY? I'm in Norther NJ by the way.
Old 01-31-05, 06:37 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

the tein flex has 16 levels of dampening force. when set of standard (8 front, 8 rear), ride quality is much more comfortable than oem, when set on 12 rear and 14 front the car feels like it is hugging the road but is much rougher than oem. i just installed two days ago i still need to try different settings.
Old 01-31-05, 06:41 PM
djl
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just installed Daizen LCA bushings myself, still have to do the rears when the temperature warms up a bit. Really looking forward to the Teins, should improve the handling quite bit.
Old 01-31-05, 06:44 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

im going to be doing daizen lca soon, where did you purchase? how much were they? how is the handling after that? did you get alignment done once bushing install was complete?
Old 01-31-05, 07:07 PM
djl
Intermediate

Bought complete Daizen front set w/sleeves and rears from TMengineering.net, check out the website for latest prices. Car corners flatter now and steering is more precise, no slop at all. The only negative is slight increase in road noise transmitted into the cabin, but tolerable. I'll be getting an alignment after installing the rears, hopefully this weekend. The hardest part of the install was pressing out the old bushing, ended up taking it to a local Toyota dealer. Other than that the it was straight forward. Make sure you wear gloves when greasing the bushings, it is sticky stuff.
Old 01-31-05, 07:18 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flex is STIFF compared to the CS...It's a harsh ride even if the settings in the middle...It really depends on your preferences, if you don't mind the sports car like ride then I would choose Flex..
Old 01-31-05, 07:32 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It really depends on your ride quality/handling ratio expectation. I have had both Flex and CS. I liked the handling of the Flex but could not live long term with the ride quality. Many others have no problems with ride quality so you'll have to decide what is acceptable to you. Although I do miss the handling of the Flex sometimes, most of the times I am very happy with the CS.

BTW - I am not saying that the CS handles badly. Not at all. It is just not as flat as the Flex, that's all.
Old 01-31-05, 07:38 PM
djl
Intermediate

Thanks Neo.

Out of curiosity, are any of you guys familiar with the ride of an Infiniti FX SUV with sports package? How would you compare the ride of theTein Flex to the Infiniti as far as stiffness/harshness? Not trying to beat this subject to death, just want some reference point. Thanks again for any input.
Old 02-01-05, 12:45 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going fo Tein RA suspension - is this way more harder than Flex?

My plan is to buy both Tein CS & RA and swop them over....CS for the winter months....RA for the summer months when I go to racetrack.

I still want to drive the car on the road every day during summer - should I go with the RAs or the Flex?
Old 02-01-05, 10:58 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

for that you should just get hks hipermax
Old 02-01-05, 11:14 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by yoshi
I am going fo Tein RA suspension - is this way more harder than Flex?

My plan is to buy both Tein CS & RA and swop them over....CS for the winter months....RA for the summer months when I go to racetrack.

I still want to drive the car on the road every day during summer - should I go with the RAs or the Flex?
Wow, that's dedication. How often do you track the car? I think some bracing might help on the track too.
Old 02-01-05, 11:20 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ii was considering the RA when I was researching mine. ultimately I went with the Flex..

The RA needed to be rebuilt periodically and you had to send them to Japan to get it done, there were other things they told me about them but that was enough for me to go to the Flex. This wa all direct from the Tein folks.

Flex on the softest settings are no where near an OEM ride if you ask me. There is added road noise but I can live with that.

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-05, 11:36 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by vredniykot
my SS has 29 clicks, so i assume 30 settings?
Are you sure? Most Tein has 16 levels as far as "clicks" and the website says 16 for the SuperStreet. You can go "softer" more than 16 but you are now beyond the recommended limit. Even in the docs they say do not go beyond as you can damage the unit. This is why when the EDFC unit calibrates itself, it closes the valve (full hard) as you cannot go past this physically (well maybe if you REALLY torque it but I am not going to try ) and then backs up to the setting.

Originally Posted by morris
Flex on the softest settings are no where near an OEM ride if you ask me. There is added road noise but I can live with that.
I agree with this (except for the noise part ). Everyone's tolerance is different. This is why I swapped out the Flex for the CS and never looked back. Others like Bitkahuna and Hameed (and you) like the Flex just fine.

Quick Reply: Tein coilovers