Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Eibach/Bilstein install quote: $650 - uhh yeaaaah... And then you insult me??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 07:12 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Mechanic rates

I think most places look it up in some book and it says how many hrs it takes.

I know a good mechanic can always beat the amount of time the book says it takes but that is how much they are going to try to charge you for.

The Lexus dealer up here in Seattle get $95 per hr. And they told me the Jag dealer which they own and is across the street from them get $125 per hr. The shop I go to gets $75 per hr.

Sometimes I almost wish I did live in Calif. No cancel that thought, I was there in Sept (orange county) and could not get out of there fast enough.

3dog
Old 02-22-05, 06:02 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
I just had my HKS coilovers installed for $150+ $50 tip = $200 not to bad for Chicago.
I'd rather drive up to Chicago and get mine installed...they are asking me around $500 here in Philly.
Old 02-22-05, 06:28 AM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

I hear you. I'm located in Central Florida, and there's only 2 dealerships in a 80 mile radius of where I reside. Both estimates were $687-690 range. I've had them (L-tuned shocks and springs) for a month now, still sitting in my garage. I didn't think it cost that much to install. If you purchase the springs and shocks from the dealer and have them installed, It would cost approx $1,200 to $1,500 depending on your area. The only reason I would use the dealer to install them, is because I could possibly get the warranty.
Old 02-22-05, 06:35 AM
DickLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by cxp2001
I hear you. I'm located in Central Florida, and there's only 2 dealerships in a 80 mile radius of where I reside. Both estimates were $687-690 range. I've had them (L-tuned shocks and springs) for a month now, still sitting in my garage. I didn't think it cost that much to install. If you purchase the springs and shocks from the dealer and have them installed, It would cost approx $1,200 to $1,500 depending on your area. The only reason I would use the dealer to install them, is because I could possibly get the warranty.
Why worry about the warranty?. You are only changing shocks and springs and using a lexus product to boot. There is nothing Lexus can void on your car warranty outside of a bad install causing noises from the suspension.
Old 02-22-05, 08:50 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My Friend (mechanic) with 10 years experienced, can swap out the stock shocks/spring and install the new Ltuned/H&R in about 1 1/2 hour and only charges me 80 bucks total. $650 is ridiculous.
Old 02-22-05, 09:02 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need friends like that!!!

I ended up getting the work done and it set me back 360. That includes a 4-wheel alignment and another alignment in a couple of weeks after the shocks/springs have settled.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with this setup. I read everywhere that it's the most 'stock' ride possible while doing a shock/spring swap but now I feel every bump in the road!!!

Maybe that's because the setup hasn't settled but still- it's pretty unnerving. Maybe I was too accustomed to the senior citizen type of ride that it had before.

Either way, I feel like I've made a change to the car that only benefits 10% of my driving time and degrades the quality of ride during the other 90%.

Yeah, I can whip around a corner super quick and not worry about body roll and losing a lot of traction but it comes at a price.

Blah.

I wouldn't recommend this setup to anyone. Actually- I wouldn't recommend swapping your suspension if all you're after is to settle the 'float' because when you settle the float - you lose the comfort.

Am I wrong? Will the ride get better as they settle in???

Clifford
Old 02-23-05, 01:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
I need friends like that!!!

I ended up getting the work done and it set me back 360. That includes a 4-wheel alignment and another alignment in a couple of weeks after the shocks/springs have settled.

I'm actually pretty disappointed with this setup. I read everywhere that it's the most 'stock' ride possible while doing a shock/spring swap but now I feel every bump in the road!!!

Maybe that's because the setup hasn't settled but still- it's pretty unnerving. Maybe I was too accustomed to the senior citizen type of ride that it had before.

Either way, I feel like I've made a change to the car that only benefits 10% of my driving time and degrades the quality of ride during the other 90%.

Yeah, I can whip around a corner super quick and not worry about body roll and losing a lot of traction but it comes at a price.

Blah.

I wouldn't recommend this setup to anyone. Actually- I wouldn't recommend swapping your suspension if all you're after is to settle the 'float' because when you settle the float - you lose the comfort.

Am I wrong? Will the ride get better as they settle in???

Clifford
haha well, in socal, if you go to a cheap place, under 100 bucks is doable
Old 02-23-05, 05:16 AM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
My Friend (mechanic) with 10 years experienced, can swap out the stock shocks/spring and install the new Ltuned/H&R in about 1 1/2 hour and only charges me 80 bucks total. $650 is ridiculous.
Too bad you are in CA and I am in Philly.