Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

do eibach springs drop exactly same amount as L-tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 10:53 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
what last longer, bilstein shocks or tein cs coilovers?
Asking that question never even occured to me. Does anyone have any idea or has anyone had coilovers die prematurely?
Old 02-11-05, 06:22 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
for the life of me, I am trying to comprehend how S/S are OBSOLETE considering EVERY SINGLE CAR SOLD IN THE WORLD TODAY COMES WITH THEM STANDARD?!?!?!

If coilovers were oh sooo special and extraordinary, then cars would come with them stock...

Springs and shocks are made by different companies with different ideas of what they are trying to accomplish. There is no way that springs and shocks made by different companies are going to match the handling of coilovers. Coilovers on the other hand are made from start to finish by each manufacturer and are made with specific functions in mind.

Another thing that springs and shocks don't give you are the ability to adjust the height to exactly where you want it. Plus you can a lot of times adjust the damping of coilovers and some you can even do while you are driving.

The auto makers are always looking at the bottom line and if they think that adding another $1000 to the price might cost them a few customers then they need to consider that.
I think that the 3.76 LSD should also come stock along with the sways and Tom's braces.
So in order to get what I've got now they would be adding many thousands of dollars to the price tag.

Obviously you don't like them and that is your privilege. There are many others on this forum that love their coilovers and would never go back to springs and shocks.

3dog
Old 02-11-05, 07:56 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post S&S vs Coilovers.

Originally Posted by 3dog
Springs and shocks are made by different companies with different ideas of what they are trying to accomplish. There is no way that springs and shocks made by different companies are going to match the handling of coilovers. Coilovers on the other hand are made from start to finish by each manufacturer and are made with specific functions in mind.

Another thing that springs and shocks don't give you are the ability to adjust the height to exactly where you want it. Plus you can a lot of times adjust the damping of coilovers and some you can even do while you are driving.

The auto makers are always looking at the bottom line and if they think that adding another $1000 to the price might cost them a few customers then they need to consider that.
I think that the 3.76 LSD should also come stock along with the sways and Tom's braces.
So in order to get what I've got now they would be adding many thousands of dollars to the price tag.

Obviously you don't like them and that is your privilege. There are many others on this forum that love their coilovers and would never go back to springs and shocks.

3dog
Ivan,
What's up Buddy, Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the same set up I currently have. Though you did bring up some very good and valid points about coilovers, I will say that I am certainly happy with my Bilstein/Eibach set up. The reason I went with S&S is that I got a good deal on the Bilsteins and the Eibachs I got for free. (Long story) I've had absolutely no problems so far. (Knock on wood) I was running through some of the senarios that might have caused the problems you were experiencing. From bad install to defective struts. Either way you should not have had these problems. This set up should have treated you better. Keeping that in mind, I'm sure Chuck has his own reasons for going with the S&S. He also brought up some good points. Btw Chuck, I'm sorry I don't have any anwers for you. I'm not sure which would last longer. My intincts tells me the coilovers would. Also, I've never heard of anyone that had the corners weighed and tuned. Most people don't even consider this, so I know you are really giving this alot of thought before proceding. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
In closing, though I am very happy with the Bilstein/Eibach set up right now. I know that eventually my needs will change and some day I will end up with a set of coilovers. (I try to keep an open mind on everything, options are always open) Just my two cents worth.
Will
Old 02-11-05, 08:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Count another (former) happy Eibach / Bilstein owner here. I switched to Bilstein coilovers and yes I'm glad I did, but IMO it isn't a quantum leap forward. Handling is definitely better with coilovers (at least the ones I have) but not 2x better. Adjustability is a plus, but not a must have.

If someone gets a good deal on a set of springs / shocks and is just starting out, I'd personally recommend they seriously take a look at the advantages of coilovers but also consider the much lower cost of entry for the S/S setup with much of the same handling improvement & lowering benefit. I'd guesstimate that only 20% or less of the people that make this choice are ever going to go the next step to coilovers. And most are perfectly happy with that choice, just like the guy I sold my Eibach / Bilstein combo to.
Old 02-11-05, 08:38 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

are the bilstein s/s worth the extra $350 they cost over Ltune setup on sale at Sewell?
Old 02-14-05, 03:43 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

I was at dealer today and they quoted me $500 labor to install s/s that's without the additional $130 they charge for an alignment
Old 02-14-05, 04:18 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by chuckb
I was at dealer today and they quoted me $500 labor to install s/s that's without the additional $130 they charge for an alignment

Chuck that is why I keep telling you to do it right the first time, why would you want to pay $500 to install them plus $130 to align and more than likely you are going to get coilovers someday. So at that point you've gone thru a ton of money already and you aren't where you want to go.

And for all the guys that say bad stuff about coilovers and how they are overrated. Except for one guy you never hear of anyone on here going back to springs and shocks. As far as whether coilovers are twice as good as springs and shocks. That is like saying a GS is twice as good as a Camry you could argue it forever about whether they are twice as good or are worth the extra money. I just don't believe you will find too many people that won't accept the fact that one is superior to the other.

3dog
Old 02-14-05, 05:32 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Ltuned...and a buddy of mine has Eibachs on our respective GS'. I think the Eibachs sit a bit lower than the Ltuned s/s setup. Eibachs also tend to have the rear sit a bit lower that the Eibach fronts too. Just my opinion.

Pete
Old 02-17-05, 07:04 PM
flashbang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats way too much money for them to charge you.
do not go to the dealer,
any outside shop could do half the price at least.
my align is $50 and do my suspension is $100

I WORK FOR A DEALERSHIP LOL.....