Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 11:56 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Because the new found braking power is coming from the 4 piston braking vs 2 piston braking, not the .5" larger rotors in the Supra brakes. .5" will make an immeasurable difference. But do as you please with your money, I know what I'm buying.
No doubt you don't brake much from a high speed... and yes .5" does make a difference.

Chris
Old 02-12-05, 05:13 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
They are night/day experience when compared to stock brakes. Obviously you didn't try any better brakes.

Chris
Hey Chris, don't get me wrong. I know there are better brakes out there for our cars, but at a MUCH higher price. The point I was trying to make is that the LS400 brakes may be the best bang for the buck out there. If you want ULTIMATE stopping power and cost isn't an issue then definitely go for Brembo's or Rotora's. Otherwise, for the $$$, the LS400 upgrade is just about unbeatable for any daily driver even for aggressive peeps. Just MO.
Old 02-12-05, 10:17 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
I put LS400 brakes on my SC4. Everyone that drove my car said it was the best brakes they had ever felt. Even one guy who has a 350z with those big a$$ brakes. They work awesome on a SC. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. The ONLY reason I went back to stock calipers is because my new wheels didn't clear the LS400 calipers (even though I was told they would).
yeah don't think you've tried other brakes.
and sometimes friends and other people just want to be kind and not **** you off. so, they give you a kind word. not saying that ls4 brakes suck, but not as great as some aftermarket bbk's and not quite as good as the supra brakes.
Old 02-12-05, 11:25 AM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RjRacing
Has anyone done a TRD Brake Upgrade? They are only slightly more expensive than the Supra upgrade too.
Im interested in that too
Old 02-12-05, 12:17 PM
DIrEctQL

C'mon people, stop arguing. It is safe to say LS4 are great brakes as are Supra TT brakes. However, in terms of value, I belive Supra TT brakes are better (bang for the buck) because they are bigger than LS4 and anything up from there is a whole lot more.

Chris
Old 02-12-05, 04:29 PM
atlsupdawg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Because the new found braking power is coming from the 4 piston braking vs 2 piston braking, not the .5" larger rotors in the Supra brakes. .5" will make an immeasurable difference. But do as you please with your money, I know what I'm buying.
The Supra TT brakes are 4 piston fronts, 2 piston rears (calipers).
Old 02-12-05, 10:41 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

No doubt you don't brake much from a high speed... and yes .5" does make a difference.

Chris
I apologize from thinking from a point of view where money is limited, I don't have a bank account that says 9999999 all the way across. In the future I'll try to remember I'm the only one thats like this. Yes, I do brake from high speeds, no I haven't tried the Supra brakes but I've read what other people have said. They say the power is coming from 4 pistons in the front and since they both have 4 postions in the front the bigger rotor isn't as big of a help. But as I said before do what you want and I'll do what I want.
Old 02-13-05, 09:31 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

does anybody know if ls430 calipers are bigger than supra tt's or are supra tt's bigger than ls430's?

note: im talking about ls430 not ls400.
Old 02-13-05, 09:58 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1993SCTT
does anybody know if ls430 calipers are bigger than supra tt's or are supra tt's bigger than ls430's?

note: im talking about ls430 not ls400.
i think they are, but dont take my word for it. just remember reading about a thread where someone put ls430 calipers on either an sc300 or gs300. only remember that it's a monoblock, but it looked so sexy.
Old 02-13-05, 10:31 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

are you talking about jtanoyo1 from indonesia? the gold ones with DSR label on them?
the ls430 look bigger in the pics but i rembmer reading ina post where there were measurements of all three calipers, (ls400, ls430, and supra tt)
Old 02-17-05, 03:05 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I believe the LS430 and the Supra TT are the same size. LS430 are Monoblock Aluminum so for the same size brake they save quite a bit of weight over the TT front calipers... rears are both aluminum however. But they are more expensive to get ATM, whereas ls400 and Supra TT are fairly easy to find fully rebuilt and fresh for around $100ish per... and OEM Brembo replacement TT rotors are around $75ish per.
Old 02-18-05, 07:57 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Why the heck is everyone saying LS4 brakes are best bang for the buck. I doubt it. They're smaller than Supra TT brakes. I don't see how you can compare these. LS4 brakes are only 100 cheaper than Supra TT. Bigger rotors and brake pad contact area helps with stopping power.
Chris
I'll have to disagree here. I got everything in this picture for a grand total of $191. You show me a better bang for the buck and I'll bow down to you. I have receipts if you'd like to see them. The LS4 kit is a good deal, period.

And it works damn well for daily street driving. SURE there are better ones. But at $3,000 compared to $191. Sorry. I just needed something better than the ****-poor stock brakes. I don't road race.
Attached Thumbnails Sc Brakes-ls4-brakes.jpg  
Old 02-18-05, 10:29 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

CleanSC - wow, you got an excellent deal

It's all about the cost. For us SC owners on a budget, the LS brake upgrade is a great alternative. I paid $180 (LS calipers) + $130 (drilled/slotted rotors) = $310. I'm not tracking my car so the LS brakes are more than enough for me.
Old 02-18-05, 11:48 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by CleanSC
I'll have to disagree here. I got everything in this picture for a grand total of $191. You show me a better bang for the buck and I'll bow down to you. I have receipts if you'd like to see them. The LS4 kit is a good deal, period.

And it works damn well for daily street driving. SURE there are better ones. But at $3,000 compared to $191. Sorry. I just needed something better than the ****-poor stock brakes. I don't road race.
OMG, these are used!

I am comparing all brand new Toyota/Lexus brand. Even these rotors don't look OEM; althrough I may be wrong on this one. My NEW as in "not used" all OEM Toyota Supra TT brakes cost me well below 1200 dollars (front and rear with tax).

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 02-18-05 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-18-05, 11:56 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by theman
I believe the LS430 and the Supra TT are the same size. LS430 are Monoblock Aluminum so for the same size brake they save quite a bit of weight over the TT front calipers... rears are both aluminum however. But they are more expensive to get ATM, whereas ls400 and Supra TT are fairly easy to find fully rebuilt and fresh for around $100ish per... and OEM Brembo replacement TT rotors are around $75ish per.
The rotors are bigger. That's what matters a lot in stopping.

Chris

Quick Reply: Sc Brakes