Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 12:08 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
OMG, these are used!
OMG so is my engine, tranny, and entire car? So what, they work perfect. Did I miss something? Are used parts not cool anymore?

For the record the rotors and pads are brand new. Just the calipers are used.

I am comparing all brand new Toyota/Lexus brand. Even these rotors don't look OEM; althrough I may be wrong on this one. My NEW as in "not used" all OEM Toyota Supra TT brakes cost me well below 1200 dollars (front and rear with tax).
Chris
You spent below $1200 for a stock Supra setup? At that level I'd spring a couple hundie more and get the Stoptech or Rotora. No way I'd spend that coin on stock stuff. To me, that's not very cost effective. Worse comes to worse you rebuild the calipers for a few bucks a side. Good as... new?

I don't see why it matters if they are new or used. They work the same. As for rotors that are OEM or not, that doesn't matter either. As long as it works and lasts, why pay more?
Old 02-18-05, 12:34 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
OMG so is my engine, tranny, and entire car? So what, they work perfect. Did I miss something? Are used parts not cool anymore?

You spent below $1200 for a stock Supra setup? At that level I'd spring a couple hundie more and get the Stoptech or Rotora. No way I'd spend that coin on stock stuff. To me, that's not very cost effective. Worse comes to worse you rebuild the calipers for a few bucks a side. Good as... new?

I don't see why it matters if they are new or used. They work the same. As for rotors that are OEM or not, that doesn't matter either. As long as it works and lasts, why pay more?
Well said Jose.
Old 02-18-05, 12:46 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've spent 1200 dollars for both rear and front. Keep that in mind.

To you it may not be cost effective but I did not have any problem getting new items which is why I went that route.

Hey, relax guy. Again, you're not arguing the same thing I am. I am comparing new vs. new. That is generally where you can establish the real value which will also affect the price of the used items. Also, the reason why I pointed out the rotors is because those are not OEM rotors. All rotors aren't the same. Chances are you got lower quality rotors than OEM.

I am happy you got such a great deal.

Chris
Old 02-18-05, 01:26 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

I've spent 1200 dollars for both rear and front. Keep that in mind.

To you it may not be cost effective but I did not have any problem getting new items which is why I went that route.

Hey, relax guy. Again, you're not arguing the same thing I am. I am comparing new vs. new. That is generally where you can establish the real value which will also affect the price of the used items. Also, the reason why I pointed out the rotors is because those are not OEM rotors. All rotors aren't the same. Chances are you got lower quality rotors than OEM.

I am happy you got such a great deal.

Chris
Hey, I'm relaxed. I realize you got front and rear for that price. To me, it's still kinda pricey. Most aftermarket brake upgrades don't bother with the rears anyway. The rears don't do much in heavy braking.

And yes you are arguing new vs. new but stock stuff new is severely overpriced so I don't even consider it. Used stock parts can be had for pennies on the dollar of new -- and they are accessible to anyone, I didn't use any hookups. Everything was regular guy-off-the-street price. And the LS and TT setup may cost the same at the dealer but it's much different in the used part market. LS4s are all over. Junkyards see these all the time and sell them cheap. But you call a junkyard and ask for a TT caliper, bend over because they all know they are hard to find and in high demand. So they charge you real good. This makes the LS4 setup up hundreds less than the TT in the used market. So for me, the choice was very clear.

And yes all rotors are not the same. Mine are cheaper. I've had mine for several months with some serious braking and they are 100% perfect. So what does inferior quality entail? I get only 30k miles out of them before they warp as opposed to 50k? Fair enough, they were $28. I'll just put new ones on every two years? Sure as hell never gonna turn these. Just toss 'em and grab a shiny new pair.

Thanks for the props on the good deal. Just did some shopping around (telephone) for the calipers ($50 ea.) and popped into my local part supplier (not the chain auto stores that sell garbage) for the pads and rotors. Nothing is generic but good, trusted brands as they supply local mechanics mostly.

So that's just how I see it. All I needed was something bigger than the stock SC brakes which I find plain dangerous. The LS4 setup is a huge LEAP forward from the stockers. I feel they are underated on this forum considering what they cost. I'm sure the aftermarket kits are much better. But to drive to work I'll never get anywhere near the braking requirements handled by the big boy kits. One or two high speed panic stops are handled by them just fine. That's all I need.

I'd love the big boy kits because they are sexy behind big wheels but honestly no street cars need these unless your weekends are on the track.

As always, your mileage may vary. And no panties in a twist here, dude. Healthy debate is good.
Old 02-18-05, 01:31 PM
DIrEctQL

Hey, I'm relaxed. I realize you got front and rear for that price. To me, it's still kinda pricey. Most aftermarket brake upgrades don't bother with the rears anyway. The rears don't do much in heavy braking.

And yes you are arguing new vs. new but stock stuff new is severely overpriced so I don't even consider it. Used stock parts can be had for pennies on the dollar of new -- and they are accessible to anyone, I didn't use any hookups. Everything was regular guy-off-the-street price. And the LS and TT setup may cost the same at the dealer but it's much different in the used part market. LS4s are all over. Junkyards see these all the time and sell them cheap. But you call a junkyard and ask for a TT caliper, bend over because they all know they are hard to find and in high demand. So they charge you real good. This makes the LS4 setup up hundreds less than the TT in the used market. So for me, the choice was very clear.

And yes all rotors are not the same. Mine are cheaper. I've had mine for several months with some serious braking and they are 100% perfect. So what does inferior quality entail? I get only 30k miles out of them before they warp as opposed to 50k? Fair enough, they were $28. I'll just put new ones on every two years? Sure as hell never gonna turn these. Just toss 'em and grab a shiny new pair.

Thanks for the props on the good deal. Just did some shopping around (telephone) for the calipers ($50 ea.) and popped into my local part supplier (not the chain auto stores that sell garbage) for the pads and rotors. Nothing is generic but good, trusted brands as they supply local mechanics mostly.

So that's just how I see it. All I needed was something bigger than the stock SC brakes which I find plain dangerous. The LS4 setup is a huge LEAP forward from the stockers. I feel they are underated on this forum considering what they cost. I'm sure the aftermarket kits are much better. But to drive to work I'll never get anywhere near the braking requirements handled by the big boy kits. One or two high speed panic stops are handled by them just fine. That's all I need.

I'd love the big boy kits because they are sexy behind big wheels but honestly no street cars need these unless your weekends are on the track.

As always, your mileage may vary. And no panties in a twist here, dude. Healthy debate is good.
That's funny. I know people who got their Supra TT calipers for 50 buchs each also. So my point still stays. Supra TT brakes are still better value per the their stopping performance.

Chris
Old 02-18-05, 01:39 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

That's funny. I know people who got their Supra TT calipers for 50 buchs each also. So my point still stays. Supra TT brakes are still better value per the their stopping performance.

Chris
Those are remarkably low prices and props to them!

Most can't find them for that little tho... If I could, I'd go that route, too. Lowest I found was $200 per caliper with the LS4 at $50. The rest is history.

A question for you then... Why'd you get the Supra setup for $1200 new when you knew you could source them for $50 per caliper used?
Old 02-18-05, 02:17 PM
DIrEctQL

Those are remarkably low prices and props to them!

Most can't find them for that little tho... If I could, I'd go that route, too. Lowest I found was $200 per caliper with the LS4 at $50. The rest is history.

A question for you then... Why'd you get the Supra setup for $1200 new when you knew you could source them for $50 per caliper used?
Because I like to get new things. It's much easier to work with. This price incudes everything from brand new front shields to bolts and clips. I don't like installing used things which can be worn out or demaged.

Chris
Old 02-18-05, 02:49 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Because I like to get new things. It's much easier to work with. This price incudes everything from brand new front shields to bolts and clips. I don't like installing used things which can be worn out or demaged.

Chris
More power to ya, brother! Sure can't get any cleaner and better shape than brand new.
Old 02-18-05, 03:04 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. A debate about parts that didn't get out of hand.
Old 02-18-05, 03:05 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by siniquezu
Wow. A debate about parts that didn't get out of hand.
Here's my 2 cents. Value is a personal opinion. Some people choose quality as their value some choose price while other choose something in between. /Thread.
Old 02-18-05, 03:41 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I thought this thread was about to go from to but instead it ended up with . I love the maturity level of CL members. This would have turned out very differently if it was the honda-tech forums.
Old 02-18-05, 05:19 PM
DIrEctQL

It's better to agree that we disagree sometimes. I am no keyboard warrior.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 02-18-05 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 05:27 PM
DIrEctQL

Here's my 2 cents. Value is a personal opinion. Some people choose quality as their value some choose price while other choose something in between. /Thread.
You're prabably right about that.

Chris
Old 02-18-05, 06:10 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

It's better to agree that we disagree sometimes. I am no keyboard warrior.

Chris
Haha there's no point in flame wars anyway. Different people, different solutions, that's all.

Either way, when I win the lottery I will have 4-wheel Brembos.
Old 02-18-05, 10:27 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHAHA you of all people should be in this debate. knowing that you've actually had the ls400 brake then upgraded to the TT's

O and just my input, but it's proven that TT brakes are the top of the line factory brakes and beats out all it's competition and is known the be the best. but i think it was recently beat by porsche GT by a very small margin.

Last edited by reamemiya; 02-18-05 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Sc Brakes