Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 06:41 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc Brakes

I was wanting to upgrade my brakes and was wondering your thoughts on the supra rotors and calipers? I was looking into that or just stick with Brembo. Any thoughts would be appreiciated.
Old 02-07-05, 06:43 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

whats your budget? you might want to go with ls400 brakes since they are just as good as supra one but more economical.
Old 02-07-05, 06:45 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best bang for your buck is to go 95-99 LS Calipers and Rotors. They are only a tad smaller than the supra TT calipers and rotors but a lot cheaper. do some searches and you'll find a lot of articles on this.
Old 02-07-05, 06:51 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Thanks for the thoughts guys, cost is not a hinderance, so what ever you think is best, is what i want to hear. Remember I'm currently in the transision stage to put in the GTE block and 6-speed tranny. Thanks.
Old 02-07-05, 07:13 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ra+brake+parts

Apparantly the only advantage is a slightly larger rotor and people say that any imporvement the TT brakes has will be marginal compared to the LS.
Old 02-07-05, 09:08 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eHIGH
Thanks for the thoughts guys, cost is not a hinderance, so what ever you think is best, is what i want to hear. Remember I'm currently in the transision stage to put in the GTE block and 6-speed tranny. Thanks.
if money's not an issue i say you be different and give your car the "wow" factors and

get some brembo's.

factory brembo's on the r33 is OUTSTANDING and aftermarket 4 piston for the supra's felt real nice too.

stoptech also offers a kit of the sc300/400
Old 02-07-05, 09:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I've had both the Supra TT brakes and a Brembo 355mm (14") set on my GS. IMO, they stop about the same... The Supra TT brakes seemed to exhibit a stronger tendancy to warp rotors, but I also paid more attention during break-in to the Brembos, so that could easily have something to do with it.

If I were choosing best value for OEM replacements I'd do either TT or LS 4 piston brakes. If I were choosing best brakes for the $$ I'd probably go with Stoptech (or possibly Rotora if they make a kit for the SC... I assume they do since they have one for the GS). If I were choosing brakes for the 'wow' show factor, I'd go with the Brembos.

Regardless of your big brake decision, don't forget that you'll need to have the right wheels to accomidate the big calipers for most all of them... need high disk fittment with the right spoke design.

eHIGH one other note,

We have some reasonable guidelines regarding signature size and content... yours is a bit too big.

1) No images physically larger than 450 (wide) X 100 (tall)
2) Image file size no larger than 50K
3) A maximum of 8 lines of text, including blank lines
4) No for sale posts or advertising URL's in signatures unless you are a ClubLexus sponsor
5) PG-rated images signatures only
6) Macromedia Flash signatures are prohibited

We have these rules not to hassle folks but to keep ClubLexus a forum that's easy for our members to read... no giant signature banners and text that takes up half the screen on each post, friendly for dial-up, no unwanted advertising and 100% work-safe.

Please update your signature - thanks.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-07-05 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-08-05, 04:44 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

i Fixed it
Old 02-08-05, 09:21 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

IS that a Z3 your selling in the background? Did your SC 300 replace it??
Old 02-08-05, 10:35 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why the heck is everyone saying LS4 brakes are best bang for the buck. I doubt it. They're smaller than Supra TT brakes. I don't see how you can compare these. LS4 brakes are only 100 cheaper than Supra TT. Bigger rotors and brake pad contact area helps with stopping power.
Chris
Old 02-09-05, 05:10 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Because the new found braking power is coming from the 4 piston braking vs 2 piston braking, not the .5" larger rotors in the Supra brakes. .5" will make an immeasurable difference. But do as you please with your money, I know what I'm buying.
Old 02-11-05, 07:08 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Has anyone done a TRD Brake Upgrade? They are only slightly more expensive than the Supra upgrade too.
Old 02-11-05, 07:12 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
Why the heck is everyone saying LS4 brakes are best bang for the buck. I doubt it. They're smaller than Supra TT brakes. I don't see how you can compare these. LS4 brakes are only 100 cheaper than Supra TT. Bigger rotors and brake pad contact area helps with stopping power.
Chris
seems like everyone says ls4 calipers are the BANG for the buck, but it seems like everyone who gets ls4 brakes...ands up switching to supra brakes or after market(wonder why)
Old 02-11-05, 10:58 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put LS400 brakes on my SC4. Everyone that drove my car said it was the best brakes they had ever felt. Even one guy who has a 350z with those big a$$ brakes. They work awesome on a SC. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. The ONLY reason I went back to stock calipers is because my new wheels didn't clear the LS400 calipers (even though I was told they would).
Old 02-11-05, 11:53 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
I put LS400 brakes on my SC4. Everyone that drove my car said it was the best brakes they had ever felt. Even one guy who has a 350z with those big a$$ brakes. They work awesome on a SC. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. The ONLY reason I went back to stock calipers is because my new wheels didn't clear the LS400 calipers (even though I was told they would).
They are night/day experience when compared to stock brakes. Obviously you didn't try any better brakes.

Chris

Quick Reply: Sc Brakes