Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Opinions on big brake caliper colors??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05 | 06:21 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ebruce2
put in my vote for either color-matched (1CO) or goooooooold! Then your ride will be toight like a toiger!!! Sorry.
you and those felines lol

i like color matched

or black
Old 02-09-05 | 08:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
Very well put Neo, and I could not agree more with everything that you said. If you talk to all of the BB guys, the ones that will impress you the most (or at least me the most) are the Stoptech guys. Stoptech seems to put more emphasis on proper brake bias on a car by car basis, then anyone else that I have spoken with. I know there are guys that are running Stoptech on all 4 corners.... Stoptech told me tonight, and many other times that this set up is not optimal for the GS. There exact words were, its great for looks....but the bias would be way out of whack with too much in the rear. On the other hand, I know one of the GS guys running this, and he loves! There is always a way to get a four way kit to fit that is made for another car, but is it the right thing to do.....that is the real question. Im gonna have to think that the dude from stoptech, who pulled out all of the spec and test sheets, knows a little more than me.
very true jeff, can't agree more with what you, neo, and ed have said. in fact i still remember one article posted up long time ago where stoptech rented an airfield or something and did braking testing and balancing on the 350z (i believe) and the results, and how they analyzed the results and how they choose what brakes to use on the car. it was an extremely impressive article imho.
Old 02-09-05 | 08:25 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
very true jeff, can't agree more with what you, neo, and ed have said. in fact i still remember one article posted up long time ago where stoptech rented an airfield or something and did braking testing and balancing on the 350z (i believe) and the results, and how they analyzed the results and how they choose what brakes to use on the car. it was an extremely impressive article imho.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm
Old 02-09-05 | 08:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
oh man.... this is the stuff i was talking about! thanks johnny!
Old 02-10-05 | 09:38 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Very well put Neo, and I could not agree more with everything that you said. If you talk to all of the BB guys, the ones that will impress you the most (or at least me the most) are the Stoptech guys. Stoptech seems to put more emphasis on proper brake bias on a car by car basis, then anyone else that I have spoken with. I know there are guys that are running Stoptech on all 4 corners.... Stoptech told me tonight, and many other times that this set up is not optimal for the GS. There exact words were, its great for looks....but the bias would be way out of whack with too much in the rear. On the other hand, I know one of the GS guys running this, and he loves! There is always a way to get a four way kit to fit that is made for another car, but is it the right thing to do.....that is the real question. Im gonna have to think that the dude from stoptech, who pulled out all of the spec and test sheets, knows a little more than me.
Four pistons vs. two or six pistons vs. four will be more efficient at what they do, what they do being the key, front brakes carry about 65% of stopping duties and without a proportioning valve to adjust brake bias a bigger/better setup on either axle will only perform it's percentage of braking duties better, too much brake out back will cause problems up front, and Jeff I vote for the Stoptech's in black.
Old 02-11-05 | 05:15 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Indio
Four pistons vs. two or six pistons vs. four will be more efficient at what they do, what they do being the key, front brakes carry about 65% of stopping duties and without a proportioning valve to adjust brake bias a bigger/better setup on either axle will only perform it's percentage of braking duties better, too much brake out back will cause problems up front, and Jeff I vote for the Stoptech's in black.
i aggree and somewhat disagree seeing that i just upgraded my rears to larger 2 piston 2002 ls430 calipers mounted with almost 13in rotors in the rear.. upgrading just the fronts to a 4 or 6piston will work but how ell is a diff story. the fronts will make the rears surrender under heavy braking situations. its only logical to see this as a reality . oem they des 2 piston in front with 2 piston in the rear for balance . upping only the fronts will sig increase front clamping forces beyond what the rears are willing to provide , so the rears will surrender to the fronts , not safe to me . i dont neccessarily agrree about going to a 4pot out back for as eric stated a proportioning valve would be reqbut upgrading to a larger 2 piston with a much larger rotor surface and larger pad surface area will increase the rear trq values and friction abilities enough to compliment the fronts so a 4 or 6pot upfront with a ls430 rear upgrade will provide a much better balance to the brake upgrade not to mention will eliminate the silly look of go cart size rear rotors that look so small behind the wheels of 19-20 in applications
Old 02-11-05 | 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

actually pistons count aside, i think the amount of pistons areas is more important. having 4/4, 6/4, or 4/2, it'a more about how much pistons area you are putting on, and that should affect greatly on the braking power
Old 02-11-05 | 05:45 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

You took the words right out of my mouth.......nto all 4 piston brakes are alike, not all 2 piston brakes are alike, and the same for the 6......the manufacturers make these things with different size pistons .......in Stoptechs case, to match them up on a car by car basis. If Stoptech recommends a BB upgrade for fornt only, you can believe that they are matching that 4 pot fornt system to be ideal with stock rear brake calipers.

A Dodge Viper 4 pot, will not be the same as a Civic 4 pot.

By the way, I am going with the Stoptech 355 fornt system in black.
Old 02-11-05 | 10:24 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

good choice....
Old 02-12-05 | 01:21 AM
Neo
The One

If Stoptech recommends a BB upgrade for fornt only, you can believe that they are matching that 4 pot fornt system to be ideal with stock rear brake calipers.

Very true. In fact, StopTech has a rear 2-piston setup for a few cars that can be added on to the front BBK. I've talked to them about it and sadly, there are no plans on releasing it for the GS. Streetwise, it would have been a cosmetic upgrade anyway since they designed the fronts to be balanced with the OEM rear. Still, with the increased size of the 2-piston calipers, they have not been able to get a balanced piston configuration with their 2-piston caliper (which looks awesome and obviously a perfect match for the StopTech fronts) to complement the front BBK. There is no need to release a brake add-on that will make things worse.

I am not sure if the Lexus line is big enough for them to put serious $ into developing the rear. Other than us, Lexus is still viewed as a luxury line and the percentage of owners upgrading brakes is small. The number is probably even much smaller for those who would want to spend another 2k for a mostly cosmetic upgrade.

Anyway, congrats on the black. Just curious, what pads are you going with?
Old 02-12-05 | 03:15 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

You took the words right out of my mouth.......nto all 4 piston brakes are alike, not all 2 piston brakes are alike, and the same for the 6......the manufacturers make these things with different size pistons .......in Stoptechs case, to match them up on a car by car basis. If Stoptech recommends a BB upgrade for fornt only, you can believe that they are matching that 4 pot fornt system to be ideal with stock rear brake calipers.

dayum man! thats gonna look plainly sick behind those HREs .....damn I really regret not going with the polished inners ....I know its like 1k more but it must look SOO much better with a bbk.
Old 02-12-05 | 10:07 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Black is good, too. That's what I chose for my car, of course.
Old 02-12-05 | 02:26 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

damn I really regret not going with the polished inners ....I know its like 1k more but it must look SOO much better with a bbk.

The inners do look hot.....but they dont come without their issues.....they are a you know what to clean. Flashgordon had his inners polished, and he just got the wheels back from having them changed to painted......he couldnt take the constant cleaning of the inners.
Old 02-12-05 | 02:47 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

The inners do look hot.....but they dont come without their issues.....they are a you know what to clean. Flashgordon had his inners polished, and he just got the wheels back from having them changed to painted......he couldnt take the constant cleaning of the inners.
yeah I could imagine.....I have to clean my polished lip like every 3 days lol....I guess if i had polished inners....I would have to jack up the car and take off the wheels every 3 days LOL.
Old 02-12-05 | 05:12 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Did he have the polished inners clear coated? Does he have the HRE 447? I'm just wondering - seems like the inner barrel would be easier to keep clean if you had a 5 spoke type vs. a higher spoke count or mesh wheel.

Quick Reply: Opinions on big brake caliper colors??