Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

heres my REAR BID BRAKE UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-05, 03:16 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice bro! I guess this is another mod for me to think about

cody
Old 02-13-05, 09:50 AM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I was thinking of doing all 4 corners with stoptechs but since I'm getting new wheels I was told that I would lose the rear lip if I did that. Are these similar in size to the oem GS rear calipers?
I'm also worried about the brake bias. Any more details on where we could pick up this custom bracket?
Old 02-13-05, 11:55 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BC-GS430
Nice, I was thinking of doing all 4 corners with stoptechs but since I'm getting new wheels I was told that I would lose the rear lip if I did that. Are these similar in size to the oem GS rear calipers?
I'm also worried about the brake bias. Any more details on where we could pick up this custom bracket?

heres the theory behind why i think it works so well and btw i have been doing lots of 100 to 0 stops from different angles and while cornering to give it a true seat of the pants evaluation and no matter what i throw at it , it just works better then just the fronts

back to your question, the ls430 calipers are larger but imo really dont req or seen to have clearance issues for i have 1 in of clearance from the caliper to my spokes and my rear is a +41 med disk wheel .. the setup can fit stock 17in oem..

oem bias was created with a degree of bal in mind .. it was 2pot and 2pot with the rotors in the rear being slightly larger then the fronts but the pad surface area for the fronts larger then the rears and with that a certain degree of bal was achieved.. when you upgrade tthe fronts to 4pot or 6pot you will completely lose any bal .. its just common sense.. the rears will always surrrender to the fronts esp under heavy braking situations.. upping the rears to a 13in supra tt rotor with the ls430 cal almost achieves back the perfect bal/bias.. while the fronts still do most of the braking they dont do all of the braking.. the ls430 calipers are much much lighter then the oem and the pad surface area are twice that of oem so your friction coff is much greater and clamping forces much greater to bal with the fronts

hope some of this helps and btw , it just looks nicer seeing a matched front to back size and getting this all for under a 1g
Old 02-13-05, 01:46 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

nice setup love to do that to my car soon just waiting for some extra money to come in
Old 02-13-05, 02:08 PM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Smile thanks

Originally Posted by lexforlife
heres the theory behind why i think it works so well and btw i have been doing lots of 100 to 0 stops from different angles and while cornering to give it a true seat of the pants evaluation and no matter what i throw at it , it just works better then just the fronts

back to your question, the ls430 calipers are larger but imo really dont req or seen to have clearance issues for i have 1 in of clearance from the caliper to my spokes and my rear is a +41 med disk wheel .. the setup can fit stock 17in oem..

oem bias was created with a degree of bal in mind .. it was 2pot and 2pot with the rotors in the rear being slightly larger then the fronts but the pad surface area for the fronts larger then the rears and with that a certain degree of bal was achieved.. when you upgrade tthe fronts to 4pot or 6pot you will completely lose any bal .. its just common sense.. the rears will always surrrender to the fronts esp under heavy braking situations.. upping the rears to a 13in supra tt rotor with the ls430 cal almost achieves back the perfect bal/bias.. while the fronts still do most of the braking they dont do all of the braking.. the ls430 calipers are much much lighter then the oem and the pad surface area are twice that of oem so your friction coff is much greater and clamping forces much greater to bal with the fronts

hope some of this helps and btw , it just looks nicer seeing a matched front to back size and getting this all for under a 1g
Cool, sounds like I'll go this route. Now i just have to source all the parts. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-05, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the bracket is custom made out of asia.. it is made out of hardened composite steel just like the ones used by stoptech/rotora..

this is a must do for those wanting a more balanced biased brake system. henry , it just plain works ..not only does it look right it performs like it should , you can actually feel the rear grabbing but in no way overpowering the fronts , just balanced ...

so far it appears i am the first 2nd gen gs in america running this setup like they run in japan for the last 2 yrs...

henry i see this thread was moved , i was hoping the mods would have left it in the main section seeing that their is so much intrest in something that is soooo necc but i guess some still dont see the need ...
nicely explained, ed. i always wonder what a rear kit would be like on my car too, now you just gave me the answer, that's cool

well, i guess it's time to gather some money -- which is definitely tight
Old 02-15-05, 12:19 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ed,

yeah I totally with you....adding a 4 or 6 pot would definitely affect brake balance. I guess a rear bbk is a must now gosh! you folks always making me wanna spend more money lol and I am tryna conserve money here and not only for the performance...but it looks soo much better than just the stock GS rear hats

cody
Old 02-15-05, 01:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by aloha03gs
ed,

yeah I totally with you....adding a 4 or 6 pot would definitely affect brake balance. I guess a rear bbk is a must now gosh! you folks always making me wanna spend more money lol and I am tryna conserve money here and not only for the performance...but it looks soo much better than just the stock GS rear hats

cody
that's the price you pay for being a member here. the membership is free, but the amount of money you spend is enormous
Old 02-15-05, 05:37 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

well you gotta pay to play but imo this is more of a perf/safety mod /improvement .. we all spend so much time on making the car go faster and handle tighter so we can go faster but not enough attention on stopping faster and safer..

just my observation no matter what site i read on
Old 02-15-05, 06:24 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

did you need custom made brackets? or did the rears bolt up fine? the fronts def. need brackets, but do the rears?
Old 02-15-05, 11:01 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

but imo this is more of a perf/safety mod /improvement .. we all spend so much time on making the car go faster and handle tighter so we can go faster but not enough attention on stopping faster and safer..

Stopping is always good.

No matter what mods we do or what engine we have to make the car move faster, once we are at speed, we all need the same braking power.
Old 02-15-05, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well you gotta pay to play but imo this is more of a perf/safety mod /improvement .. we all spend so much time on making the car go faster and handle tighter so we can go faster but not enough attention on stopping faster and safer..

i can't agree more. no matter how fast the car goes, it still has to stop. there is a reason why i got brakes for my car so early
Old 02-16-05, 12:28 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahh yes Ed. That's the ticket.

I soon hope to be doing a similar type of upgrade in the near future.

I'm sure my driving impressions will be along the lines of your feedback.

AP Racing 6/4 set up ?

Gotta do it !
Old 02-16-05, 01:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Ahh yes Ed. That's the ticket.

I soon hope to be doing a similar type of upgrade in the near future.

I'm sure my driving impressions will be along the lines of your feedback.

AP Racing 6/4 set up ?

Gotta do it !
you know who to keep posted on this glen
Old 02-16-05, 10:29 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think this is a mod for just anyone. Ed has the TTs up front (which are similar to the LS fronts in terms of braking power) so a LS rear would work well with the front. Toyota has already done the testing. I know the GS is different than a Supra but still, the two brakes were meant to go together. Toyota never intended for the TT fronts to go with OEM GS rears so Ed's setup now is probably more balanced. The TT rears would probably be even better in terms of balance.

For others with different BBKs that were tested to be balanced with the OEM GS rears, this mod is not as optimal. I know Glen plans on putting a bleeder valve and doing some testing himself to make sure the bias is not going to be overly affected. This is work, though, and to be honest, I trust Glen with many things but he is but one person and not a team of auto/brake engineers. I am not saying Glen will make his car dangerous. I am just flagging a potential issue for others who just want to slap the TT rears on for visuals and are not planning or willing to put in the time to test the braking system like Glen plans to do. For others like rominl (and the rest of us NorCal guys) who have access to Glen, then it may not be as bad.

Last edited by Neo; 02-16-05 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: heres my REAR BID BRAKE UPGRADE