Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

heres my REAR BID BRAKE UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 06:15 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

well howard we talk about susp , i have bilstein coils and every susp brace known to the gs and sitting on 19in dunlap sp9000

more front end tended to pitch forward under heavy sever sudden braking , in fact my *** end would try and swing out on me prior to this setup .. now under sever braking , its perfectlu controlled..

no offense , and i know you guys are the pros (i hope) but i am not completely buying the concept of what you are selling..brake bias has to be acheived one way or another , diff piston sizes do make sense to me but when i think of how that applies to working in harmony with the rears stock , then that tells me that the whole concept of just upping the fronts with a ap racing , brembo stoptech etc is not really more the cosmetic with some increase in heat disp because of the bigger setup so therfore no increase in trq value no increase in bottom line braking power..

well again i say 1800 for a 4pot totota designed setup with larger 2 pot rears again designed by totota (or designed for toyota) works for me vs spending a total nearly 5k for primarily good looks
Old 03-29-05, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

thanks for the explanation howard, nice write up you got there. so from what you said, it seems like the rear setup is really more for look than adding real performance gain huh? umm.... if that's the case then i would have to think carefully about the kits for my sc430. been thinking a lot about what to do....

oh and howard, very funny avatar you got there
Old 03-30-05, 01:25 PM
StopTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberdiamo

Could you perhaps tell us the brake percentages front to rear with and without your rear kit.
(ie Stoptech front standard rear 75%-25%, Stoptech front and rear kit 70%-30%)
I apologize for somewhat avoiding this one. It was not my intention. Fact of the matter is, I don't have access to that kind of information for each and every vehicle.

I started posting on this board because StopTech was being lumped in with all the other big brake companies. In 1999 when the company started, everyone knew that big brake kits meant longer stopping distances because of the balance issue. It's not an issue for race cars because they have prop valves. A prop valve for a street application isn't reasonable though. If you want to know more history, please see this link. http://www.stoptech.com/company/. At any rate we change brake bias by piston sizing. Larger rotors do provide more brake torque, but they do a better job of providing more heat capacity. The piston sizes we use are anywhere from 28mm to 44mm.

A caliper with 44-44 pistons creates 57% more brake torque than a caliper that has 28-28 pistons. This is out of the same basic caliper as well. the 57% calculation was done given that the only variable was the piston size. Although the 44-44 piston caliper will have more brake torque, the pedal travel will be much longer than the 28-28 since there is more fluid being displaced. Modulation with too much brake torque would be difficult. It goes from little brake torque to a lot of brake torque too fast. I hope that this sheds some light onto how StopTech does the kits.

LexforLife, if your kit works for you, more power to you.
Old 03-30-05, 11:00 PM
cyberdiamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't know the percentages (or don't want to give it away) thats fine.
Thanks to your responses I now have a better understanding of Stoptech's approach on their brake kits (correct me if I am wrong).
You guys basically design your kits to keep the approx factory amount of brake force (approx same stopping power) and purely concentrate on keeping the heat out of the brakes.
Which is perfect for a heavy street / light track use.

As well as looks and lighter unsprung weight.
Old 03-30-05, 11:42 PM
StopTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberdiamo
If you don't know the percentages (or don't want to give it away) thats fine.
Thanks to your responses I now have a better understanding of Stoptech's approach on their brake kits (correct me if I am wrong).
You guys basically design your kits to keep the approx factory amount of brake force (approx same stopping power) and purely concentrate on keeping the heat out of the brakes.
Which is perfect for a heavy street / light track use.

As well as looks and lighter unsprung weight.
We do this because you don't need more brake torque. If you can activate ABS, or lock the wheels, the brake system can't do anymore. We may shift brake bias around a bit, but that really depends on what stops better. When you purchase a bbk, the pedal will feel firmer, due to less compliance (flex) in the system(a lot of delfection occurs in stock sliding calipers). You will also be able to modulate the pedal better. http://stoptech.com/faq/data/faq2.html

Actually our kits are also meant for heavy track use. If you see our racing teams(Turner Motorsports, Tri-Point) in world challenge, they use the same components that we sell to the normal public.