Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein's or HKS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 07:31 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein's or HKS?

Hello..

I did a bit of researching through this site and decided to post a topic..

Anyway, I was wondering which setup would be more benficial.. Tein HA's or HKS Hipermax II's..

I want a suspension that is geared towards more track, I've had FLEX's before and was happy with it but I want something a little bit more aggressive. I'll do a bit more research to find the springrates of both suspensions but if somebody can post them that would be nice!

I was also thinking about the JIC's as well, (FLA's or FLT's i forget what they're called off the top of my head it's friggen 7:30 in the morning!) any input?

Also, for members that have these particular setups, can you tell me how the ride went? price difference as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old 02-22-05, 10:06 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a track suspension, check out the Kei Office Coilovers- however be warned that they are EXTREMELY stiff- I think the spring rates are 20kg/mm front and 16kg/mm rear- you can see them here (search JZZ30 to find them on the page)… http://www.ooparts-international.co..../frameset.html

I know the Apexi N1Damper Type pro has 18kg/mm(f) and 10kg/mm(r): http://www.ooparts-international.co..../frameset.html

Those are pretty extreme as far as stiffness goes- and are considered some of the best "track" coilovers right now offered for the JZZ30.
Old 02-22-05, 10:18 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote HKS Hipermax II's based on your needs
Old 02-22-05, 05:33 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

do you have the Hipermax's on your car Mike?
Old 02-28-05, 08:26 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hks hipermax d' are drift specific and are 20kgfm in front and 16kgfm in rear, you have to special order them so it would take a while to get em

Last edited by FortuneLS; 02-28-05 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 08:25 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

yea, i heard that it takes like 3-4 months for hte Kei Office's to come in too because they have to make it as well.
Old 03-01-05, 11:33 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden in a Miata with the HKS Hypermax's and I like the firm feel of it.. Felt like it was very autocross worthy..... I've also driven an SC300 with the Tien Flex's around the block and it was definately better than stock but still felt a little too soft for me. Maybe it was just the damper settings...
Old 03-03-05, 10:41 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I have FLTA2s in my SC and I coudn't be happier. They're 14 fronts and 10s rear. Nice and stiff, but not TOO stiff.

Plus with JICs or Teins, you can rebuild them without the wait...like other japanese companies.
Old 03-03-05, 10:40 PM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

all of the coilovers mentioned are really good
but they do vary in price
i think any of them will work just fine
good luck man
nice meeting you again
Old 03-04-05, 05:39 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
I have FLTA2s in my SC and I coudn't be happier. They're 14 fronts and 10s rear. Nice and stiff, but not TOO stiff.

Plus with JICs or Teins, you can rebuild them without the wait...like other japanese companies.
how much did the JIC's run you? iono... i was thinking of Tein possibly so i can change the dampening with the EDFC, i know.. i'm lazy like that.

i was looking @ some tanabe's up for sale on ebay right now and the rates were 16/10 or something like that 14/10 is koo.. but i want the rates to be a little stiffer.

btw, nice to meet you will! send me pictures or link me to the pictures of the VOLKS
Old 03-04-05, 06:17 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

air runner
Old 03-04-05, 12:57 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the JICs on mine and they make the car stay nice and flat... couldn't ask for better for the $$ I think they're typically around $1600 or less when you shop around.

I'll probably try the out at summit point in a couple months so I can't comment on track duty for them yet.
Old 03-07-05, 06:53 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have HKS HiperMax II in my SC, i like how it feels normal driving and drifting, its not very stiff as hell but i am thinking about getting HiperMax D and just make my SC drift car only.
Old 03-07-05, 07:10 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Originally Posted by SliderSC
I have HKS HiperMax II in my SC, i like how it feels normal driving and drifting, its not very stiff as hell but i am thinking about getting HiperMax D and just make my SC drift car only.
yea man.. i was doing more research on the Hipermax II's and they're more of a street system.. I was looking towards more of a track setup while still driveable (was thinking of just putting the settings real low for normal and turn it up when i wanna go to the track) so iono
Old 03-07-05, 07:15 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I know you can specify your rates for something stiffer if you order from JIC, they're very accomidating from what I hear...

Quick Reply: Tein's or HKS?