Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

improving handling for a gs430

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 10:30 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile improving handling for a gs430

Im not feeling the handling of my GS430. The steering wheel is very loose and when I drive on the highway i feel the car sway back and forth a lot. I would like to improve the handling of my GS but I do not want to lower the car. I know I can get a lower and upper strut bar. Can some one tell me what I brand and where I can get these at? I know the GS430 engine is placed higher + the engine cover so some strut bars wont fit. And I do not want to take teh engine cover off.
Is there anything else i can install to make the car handle better with out lowering the car?

Please help...
Thanks!
Old 02-22-05, 10:46 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

you could get front and rear sway bars... TRD and Daizen make them... from what i hear... TRD is a much stiffer ride... but it really plants the GS onto the ground... make you handle like an M5... the daizen are supposed to give you improved handling but leaving you with a small bit of that luxury flow.. i'm not quite sure... not the expert on this...
Old 02-22-05, 10:57 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strut bars arent going to give you what you want. I would tell you to look at new shocks or coilovers, you dont have to lower if you dont want to. Secondly as mentioned swaybars may help as well. I use the TRD ones and have been very happy with them.
Old 02-22-05, 12:04 PM
trimless
Rookie

Default Bilstein

Check the Bilstein website and look into the PSS coilovers. These are adjustable ride height and can be set at stock ride settings and you will improve handling and feel way better than stock. Cost is just under $900 for parts. Ride quality will degrade slightly but the trade-off is well worth it to me. The L-tuned spring and shock combo will keep the ride quality near stock, but it will drop the car 1.5" with no adjustability.

I think sway bars and shocks/springs are the 1st two changes I would look into to improve the handling on these cars. I'm partial to Diazen sway bars because that's what I have, but TRD makes a great product also from what I've read.
Old 02-22-05, 12:31 PM
nyczdave
Pole Position

I tried the TRD strut bar but my engine cover is to high and the strut bar wont fit.

Do you guys knwo which one will fit the 01 430?
Old 02-22-05, 12:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trimless
I think sway bars and shocks/springs are the 1st two changes I would look into to improve the handling on these cars. I'm partial to Diazen sway bars because that's what I have, but TRD makes a great product also from what I've read.
Are you looking for steering response, cornering, or both? You said the steering is loose on the freeway and the ar sways back and forth. When does it sway? I hope not in a straight line. Lane changes? Entrances and exits? What wheel setup are you running right now?

Like trimless said, sways and s/s (or coilovers) would be the first set of changes. If you are planning on getting bigger wheels, the ride and handling will change with this upgrade). There are members with 16s who added sways with good results. s/s alone can give a boost in handling since it affects all 4 corners and maintains the independent suspension.

It comes down to how far you want to take it and what you won't give up (drop/no drop, ride quality, wheel upsize, ...)
Old 02-22-05, 12:50 PM
krazychowmein
Driver School Candidate

anyone know of a good site to get the TRD Sways at a decent price?

TIA!
Old 02-22-05, 12:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SON OF SAM

TIA!
Check your PM.
Old 02-22-05, 12:53 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

TIA!
try ebay... the classifieds here... or www.l-tunedparts.com... there are also a number of other places you can get it... but those are just at the top of my head...
Old 02-22-05, 01:51 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Off topic here but I really need to say this.

Please consider getting a new screen name. Son of Sam was a coward muderer of women, not someone to be glorified. I lived in NY when this maniac was terrorizing the city it wasnt funny and it wasnt cute. Please please consider a new screen name.

Morris.
Old 02-22-05, 02:30 PM
krazychowmein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
try ebay... the classifieds here... or www.l-tunedparts.com... there are also a number of other places you can get it... but those are just at the top of my head...

thanks didn't know if these were my only options.

Neo you've got a PM

---------------------------------------------

and about my SN im sorry but i've seen far worse on message boards.... i couldn't find an area in the users control panel to change the SN so who's a mod that can.
Old 02-23-05, 06:59 AM
nyczdave
Pole Position

Well i am riding on the factory 17s...
my car sways when im on the highway.. im guessing just cause of the grooves in the road.. yes NY roads are that bad...
but the steering is just very loose. im looking for a way to tighten up my steering..
and i dont really want to lower my car or change and shocks or struts.. i dont mind add on minor things ... im strapped for cash...

thanks for the help

Originally Posted by Neo
Are you looking for steering response, cornering, or both? You said the steering is loose on the freeway and the ar sways back and forth. When does it sway? I hope not in a straight line. Lane changes? Entrances and exits? What wheel setup are you running right now?

Like trimless said, sways and s/s (or coilovers) would be the first set of changes. If you are planning on getting bigger wheels, the ride and handling will change with this upgrade). There are members with 16s who added sways with good results. s/s alone can give a boost in handling since it affects all 4 corners and maintains the independent suspension.

It comes down to how far you want to take it and what you won't give up (drop/no drop, ride quality, wheel upsize, ...)
Old 02-23-05, 07:07 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

thanks didn't know if these were my only options.

Neo you've got a PM

---------------------------------------------

and about my SN im sorry but i've seen far worse on message boards.... i couldn't find an area in the users control panel to change the SN so who's a mod that can.

Hey no problem and thanks for not tearing my head off, I'll PM Dave and ask him to help you out.
Old 02-23-05, 08:40 AM
krazychowmein
Driver School Candidate

thanks i'd appreciate it.
Old 02-23-05, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally if you want tight steering feel and more road feedback, you need wider aggressive wheel/tire setup, and then some coilovers with sways, that's going to give you like 70% of what you could have done. the next would be all the braces and stuff

Quick Reply: improving handling for a gs430