Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what is your coilover suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 02:17 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what is your coilover suspension setup?

Please chime in if you have coilovers on your SC (or any other Lexus/Toyota for that matter).

I've searched and read endless debates about Tein CS vs JIC SF-1 and Tein FLEX vs JIC FLT-A2. There isn't really any concrete information, aside from Manaray (who had a few Tein sets and finally settled with the JIC SF-1), about specific comparisons between the different coilover models.

- JIC SF-1 vs Tein CS

Specs:

TEIN CS
- spring rate: front 10kg / 559lbs/in, rear 6kg / 336lbs/in
- monotube design
- 16 levels of damping force adjustment

JIC SF-1
- spring rate: front 12kg, rear 9kg
- twintube design
- no damping force adjustment

Most people who have the Tein CS like the fact that the ride quality is much better than stock, while handling better than stock. Furthermore, with larger wheels and in order not to degrade ride quality below that of stock, it's a clear choice.

The JIC SF-1 seems to be a better handler than the Tein CS, but does not have the ability to adjust dampening.

Questions:
1) For those of you with the JIC SF-1, is the ride quality significantly more stiff than the factory ride?
2) Any long-term experience with either of these coilovers, to attest to their durability?
3) Any issues with noise, particularly with the JICs?

JIC FLT-A2 vs Tein FLEX (or even Tein HA/SS)

Specs:

JIC FLT-A2
- spring rate: front 14kg, rear 10kg
- twintube design
- damping force adjustment is independent of ride height
- 15 way adjustable damper

Tein FLEX
- spring rate: front 14kg / 783lbs/in, rear 8kg / 448lbs/in
- monotube design
- damping force adjustment is independent of ride height
- 16 way adjustable damper

Tein HA/SS
- similar in spec to FLEX, except damping force is NOT independent of ride height

These are more of "performance" oriented coilover setups than the Tein CS / JIC SF-1's. One person posted about how he switched to the JIC FLT-A2s on his Lexus GS and didn't notice much of a different in ride quality from stock (it should be important to note that he also had stock wheels). Some people have also claimed that the JIC FLT-A2s can be adjusted (damping force) so that the ride quality would be similar to stock. On the other hand, some others have made the claim that the JICs are much more stiff than the stock ride quality, but handling is improved exponentially. The Tein FLEX seems to be too stiff for the street in areas where the road conditions are not perfect, but deliver good handling and steering response.

Questions:
1) So can the JIC FLT-A2s be adjusted to ride similar to stock?
2) Has anyone had the chance to ride in cars equipped with either suspension setup to make a somewhat accurate comparison between the two?
3) Any personal experience as to long-term durability for both of these?

Conclusion

If you have any of these coilover setups, please share your experiences with them. Any comparisons you can make between them would be much appreciated. I didn't include the HKS HyperMax coilovers because while they're definitely a quality setup, the idea of having only the option to replace them (as opposed to rebuilding them) has made me decide they're not the right coilovers for me. However, I have heard from Supra owners that they are fantastic for the street, but don't handle as well as the FLT-A2s or FLEX.

Thank you,
-Brian.
Old 03-07-05, 04:34 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

I have the hipermaxes... feels more comfortable than stock lexus! and then you can stiffen them up to performance levels

and they are actually rebuildable

and they are the lightest of the brands you mentioned ..... lighter = less unsprung weight
Old 03-07-05, 06:41 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

I got the Tein CS. Now before i put these suckers in, i had daizen bushings all around along with the sway bars. Since i planned on getting bigger rims and keeping in mind i had urethane bushings, i opted for the Tein CS because this is a street car. So i wanted stock feeling which i get with the CS but still slightly more stiffer/performance due to the daizen parts.
Old 03-07-05, 10:16 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i have tein flex.. excellent when im on the northern state
taking those turns at 100mph feels very secure.. but could go with something harder

but this statement you said is definately true..

The Tein FLEX seems to be too stiff for the street in areas where the road conditions are not perfect, but deliver good handling and steering response.

i hate going to the city with my car.. i have to stick to main roads
some side streets where the road is messed up.. i'm going like 5mph and it feels like im on a roller coaster. but when on good road, ride is very comfortable.

if i had a choice.. i'd probably want to go with something harder than tein flex