Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Finally got some coilovers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 06:13 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got some coilovers!

Today i completed my coilover install. My coilovers came in on friday afternoon, but i wasnt able to put them in until Sunday afternoon. After doing the fronts, i ran out of daylight. Figures, thats what i get for starting at 4:30 in the afternoon. But anyways, i finished earlier tonight. I'm very happy with the coilovers. I previously had the TT shock/spring combo on my car. It did not drop the car enough for my taste. If any of you remember, i said was gonna try the "Ksport coilovers" but supposedly their american distributor went out of business at the end of last year, so i opted to try out the D2 coilover system (http://www.d2racing.com/html/coilovers.html). So far (about 2 miles of driving) im definately happy w/ my purchase. The car feels so much more solid than w/ the supra tt setup. I have yet to mess around w. the dampening (I have it set on 1/2 way). But, its neither too soft nor too hard. I searched if anyone had tried these coilovers for the SC or MKIV, but no luck. I know my 240 friends had these and were pretty happy w/ them so i decided to be brave and venture out and try another brand of coilovers. I havent SLAMMED the car just yet. I have a reasonable drop now, about a 2 finger gap in the front and a 1 finger gap in the rear. But i want to see if these will settle a litle bit.

Now for the pics:

I forgot to take pics yesterday, so all i have pics are from the rear install (today).

Parking lot install action.. YAY!

Its always an adventure in the parking lot of an apartment complex in a college town. Seemed like i was working on top of pieces of broken beer bottles

The Rear coilover installed:

As you can see they came w/ the solid upper mounts and are height adjustable .

The top of the rear coilover:

Dampening adjustment

I love the way these coilovers look. Now i just gotta mess w/ my height adjustment and see how extreme the dampening settings are. I dont remember the price exactly, i gotta look at my receipt, but they were a little more expensive than the tein basic, but definately not as much as the flex. I think it was in the mid $900 range.
Old 03-21-05, 06:27 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good my man - that's a ballsy move to pull off in a parking lot!!

So you TT shocks/springs - were they stock or eibachs? If they were aftermarket - are you selling them?

Peace,
Jonny
Old 03-21-05, 06:30 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

Haha, thats the 2nd time i did the suspension in the parking lot. I did the tt shocks and springs in the same parking lot last november . Not so bad once you've done it before. You know exactly what has to come off and how each piece needs to move to take everything out and put it back in. But to answer your question, no, i just had the stock tt shocks and springs. Actually one rear one was blown so i had that replaced. I may be selling the setup, dont know just yet.
Old 03-21-05, 06:31 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

enough with the teasers... whole pics of the car please......
Old 03-21-05, 06:32 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

man that purple looks great now. just give it 3 months i tried to keep my teins clean but to no avail. they're pretty grey right about now
Old 03-21-05, 06:37 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by got_trd
enough with the teasers... whole pics of the car please......
sorry bud, ran out of light this evening. I'll snap some pics tomorrow after i get out of class at 9. Most retarded schedule ever. An 8am class then done for the day

Last edited by TSF_PJ; 03-21-05 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-21-05, 07:09 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

yes PJ post pics of whole car or else..........
Old 03-22-05, 11:02 AM
PJ
Lead Lap

OK more pics.

Here's a pic of the D2 front strut vs the TT shock spring combo (stock):

Here's a side shot. I know the front is still a little high, but i want the sprngs to settle before i lower it more.

The rear camber isnt that bad.

See... all my roomates and me are forever doing parking lot work (2 boosted 240s kat &sr).

I'll take some more senic/ artsy photos once i clean the car and get the front lowered more .
Old 03-22-05, 11:04 AM
PJ
Lead Lap

Oh yeah.

Here's a comparison shot... TT supra suspension on the left. D2 on the right (Rear right wheel).

I think that's about 2" lower than stock.
Old 03-22-05, 11:14 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

i went to the site and checked it out but they don't have the sc applications, only the 430. well they have the supra ones. is that the one you bought?
Old 03-22-05, 01:18 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

Yeah. I bought the supra one. I was told that there are very few supras/sc's running these coilovers and decided to give them a try.
Old 03-22-05, 01:41 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Looks pretty good.. So how much were those? I see your from Virginia.. If your anywhere near Chantilly there is a meet there this weekend at Evolution Autosports. You should hit it up and represent for us Let me know if you want more info
Old 03-22-05, 01:48 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

<---- Not a fan of Evolution. Its like 10 min away from my home in Northern VA, but im currently in southern VA at school Virginia Tech. These coilovers were $975 from TheSpeedFactor (link in sig).
Old 03-22-05, 01:50 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Not a bad price... ill have to check that out...

But yea.. I've never heard of or been to Evolution but it was posted on supraforums.com so i figured I would spread the word. I live in PA and was gonna check it out since there isnt anything else to do out here but I changed my mind
Old 03-22-05, 03:12 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

They usually have pretty nice cars at their meets. Maybe sometime in the early summer when i go home from school we can have a meet in DC. Get a decent amount of SC people out. THere are a few near home that im sure would come out.

Quick Reply: Finally got some coilovers!