Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which site has Tom's rear strut brace 6 piece etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 07:21 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compromise

I fully understand that there is a give and take (that the better the handling a car, the more ride comfort you give up). I'm not a person who really takes corners hard that often nor do I really push my car to the envelope. But, I would like to definitely get a better handling feel for the '01 GS430 that I have. The butt of this car just seems to be too "fat" My question was just to see if there was a drastic drop in ride quality from the Tom's add-ons cuz if there was, then maybe i'd do one and not the other. Right now, everything is stock on my car except for Daizan front and rear sway bars (which made a big diffrence already). In the future, I'm planning on getting Tein CS coilovers, 19" rims, and maaayyyyyybe the Tom's 6 link. So I was just inquiring into any ride comfort changes from that.

Thanks for all your info. This site has been great.
Old 03-24-05, 08:06 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default I agree completely with Pinegreen looking for the same

I agree with you there, if you don't want to give up any ride comfort, get the 19's with the fat tire setup, it might cost extra $400 for the tires but I can't feel the difference between my 17;'s and this (although I only had this for 1 day and drove like 100 miles already)
What did the daizen sway bars do? what is the purpose?
Old 03-24-05, 08:21 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Although the Daizan sway bars are the ONLY mods I have so far on my car, it made a pretty decent impact on the way the car felt. It's still not great handling by any means, but the car has a little less body roll. From what I understand (I may be wrong), but they do exactly what they are named. They limit the "swaying" or body roll that your car has when it goes through a turn. And again, I'm not saying that this does the trick at all as far as giving you incredible handling, but each piece you add on helps out and contributes in various areas. Personally, I'd just like to get rid of her "fat" **** (to the wifey...if you ever find this thread, i'm not talking bout you) and have her a little more solid in the corners. hahaha

I'm not expecting Formula One racing or nothing. Just a nice compromise between slightly less than Lexus ride but better handling.
Old 03-24-05, 08:35 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default $450 for the sway bars?

How much did you pay for them? with the discount sewell lexus wants $450???
Old 03-24-05, 09:07 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsmart
How much did you pay for them? with the discount sewell lexus wants $450???
This is currently the best price for new Daizen sways.
Old 03-24-05, 09:40 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
the toms 6 piece links only prevent distortion of the subframe within itself during hard cornering or heavy acceleration.. ride comfort equates to a up and down motion , nothing to do with movement in the subframe

the toms rear lower control brace prevents the entire subframe assembly again from twisting / distorting under heavy loads

again nothing to do with susp travel or straight line driving or the ability to absorb bumps etc

when i added my pieces i watched with a keen eye for any changes and their was no change in ride behavior other then rear end planting itself
I do realize this but whenever you link the two sides and strengthen the frame, road conditions felt on one side will translate easier to the other side. Maybe I did not stress enough that I think it is very minimal (you say it is none ).

The problem with this type of mod is that you won't feel the difference in every situation. Before you jump on me , you are one of a number of people I do trust to know the car and how it behaves. I don't have any reason to doubt your assessment. I am only going by what I feel would logically would happen if you were to brace the subframe. When I put on the Tom's RLCB, I did notice some (very minor) ride degradation. When I put on the 6-link after that, I did not feel any difference at all. Who is to say that the reverse installation would cause a reverse result. Maybe once it is tied together, the next level of bracing has negligible effects.

Anyway, we can all agree that it is great and is almost a must for handling. Whether it is minimal degredation (me) or none (you), it is still not a big negative that should take away from the benefits of the pieces.

Old 03-24-05, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Whenever I post feel free if you have a question, I might have the same question and while there is a thread on it then might as well ask. In some ways I wish i never found this forum (I stay here TOO LONG, I don't have time for this. but I get lots of answers here so there is a trade off )
Anyway Lets see what I need. I have the TRD underthing I think that the lexus-parts one is selling for $129 closeouts, what other TOMS stuff can I get to go with it to make the car handle well. The 6 piece rear, maybe the toms tower and that should be fine? or what do you think?
well if you want most

trd stb
trd lcb (cheaper but less support)
tom's rear lcb
tom's 6 links
tom's rear stb
daizen sways

you are right there
Old 03-25-05, 03:40 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suppose that all I care about is like taking a turn (big turn thing when you get off or on to an adjoing free way at like 70mph and don't want to feel the car lift up, do I have to do all those mods or just a good rear strut brace should do the work?
I didnt see in the thread but if this is what you want I would upgrade the shocks to coilovers and with the sways you are probably 80% of the way there. The Braces and such are nice but I think you will get the biggest improvement from coilovers.
Old 03-25-05, 05:30 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
I do realize this but whenever you link the two sides and strengthen the frame, road conditions felt on one side will translate easier to the other side. Maybe I did not stress enough that I think it is very minimal (you say it is none ).

The problem with this type of mod is that you won't feel the difference in every situation. Before you jump on me , you are one of a number of people I do trust to know the car and how it behaves. I don't have any reason to doubt your assessment. I am only going by what I feel would logically would happen if you were to brace the subframe. When I put on the Tom's RLCB, I did notice some (very minor) ride degradation. When I put on the 6-link after that, I did not feel any difference at all. Who is to say that the reverse installation would cause a reverse result. Maybe once it is tied together, the next level of bracing has negligible effects.

Anyway, we can all agree that it is great and is almost a must for handling. Whether it is minimal degredation (me) or none (you), it is still not a big negative that should take away from the benefits of the pieces.

chris

my apologies bro , you said it exactly right... to guy like me subtle change it never noticed when it comes to ride quality for my emphasis is only on how well the car now behaves and handles...to me it rode the same but maybe a slight variance in ride comfort

chris , i keep forgetting my car has no lexus like smoothness when it comes to ride comfort, my car drives more like a modded mseries then a japanese luxury sedan , but hey thats what i like (it keeps the wife away from wanting to drive my car , she hates the firmness)

bottom line as chris said, to acheieve the handling characteristics the one desires , its a compliation of several pieces together that will net the posistive end result..

dsmart, its a shame you dont live in florida for i would take you for a ride on space mountain at triple digits on the funway(opps i meant hwy)
Old 03-25-05, 06:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

chris , i keep forgetting my car has no lexus like smoothness when it comes to ride comfort, my car drives more like a modded mseries then a japanese luxury sedan , but hey thats what i like (it keeps the wife away from wanting to drive my car , she hates the firmness)
I found this comment interesting Ed.

My car has a very similar suspension setup to yours - Tein Flex Coilovers with EDFC, TRD front LCB, Toms rear LCB, Cusco rear STB, TRD race sways. I am missing the Toms 6 link pieces at the rear and a front STB (soon to be remedied) and my wife just loves how my car feels! When she drove it, she immediately compared it to the car she normally drives - our 97 Maxima SE and noted how much better she felt in control of the GS. She just loved it!
Old 03-25-05, 07:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
I found this comment interesting Ed.

My car has a very similar suspension setup to yours - Tein Flex Coilovers with EDFC, TRD front LCB, Toms rear LCB, Cusco rear STB, TRD race sways. I am missing the Toms 6 link pieces at the rear and a front STB (soon to be remedied) and my wife just loves how my car feels! When she drove it, she immediately compared it to the car she normally drives - our 97 Maxima SE and noted how much better she felt in control of the GS. She just loved it!

hameed

i have the bilstein pss which are firmer then the flex ... also i am running 19in with about 40lbs of air

so my ride is no where lexus like but still smooth and tolerable but hey thats me i like extreme handling.. give me a m3 and i would stiffen that up as well
Old 03-25-05, 07:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

i have the bilstein pss which are firmer then the flex ... also i am running 19in with about 40lbs of air
I don't think the Bilstein PSS is firmer than the Flex on its hardest setting (but I could be wrong). The side wall height on my 18's is the same as yours so I doubt very much your 19's are harder than my 18's

Trust me, my car's ride is anything but soft and smooth.
Old 03-25-05, 04:22 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dsmart, its a shame you dont live in florida for i would take you for a ride on space mountain at triple digits on the funway(opps i meant hwy)

Old 03-25-05, 04:44 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T.L.W.

johnny be nice
Old 03-25-05, 04:45 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

johnny be nice