Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Questions about Eibachs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 07:06 AM
NSOMNIA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Eibachs

My uncle and I installed a eibach pro kit sback in september and I just took my car into get my exhaust put on and the mechanic said that the coils of my springs had to much give and made a strange knocking sound when I hit a bump. I hear the knocking sound everytime I drove it so I figured it was normal but he said that and I think this is right correct me if not "that only two coils are supposed to touch at the top and three are hitting....?" I was wondering if anyone else knew or had the same problem or if you know how to correct it? Thanks for any help
Old 03-26-05, 07:55 AM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same problem. everytime i go over bumps there would be knocking in the rear. i read a thread a while back on how to fix it. to fix the problem you would go and buy some rubber hoses and cut them open so that it would wrap around the top 2 coils. you'll need to buy hoses that is big enough so that when you cut them they would wrap around completely of the coil
Old 03-26-05, 09:49 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that was me. My friend and I did this to our SC400's because of that exact same noise. It's caused by the top coils slapping against each other when going over certain bumps. The link to the thread is below. I also heard that if you call Eibach and tell them your problem then they will send you out some coil absorbers to wrap around the coils. Apparently they were aware of this issue and may have changed the design. I didn't bother because the fix we used was cheap enough and easy enough to do and it works.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=eibach
Old 03-26-05, 10:07 AM
NSOMNIA
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information.. If I decide to do the hose which coils should I put the hose around???
Old 03-26-05, 01:26 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

The top 2 or 3 coils.
Old 03-31-05, 04:19 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why the Eibach's make noise. I just went out and took a picture of my Supra TT Eibach springs (rear) while my car was sitting in the driveway. You can see that the top three coils are touching each other. Just imagine what happens when you drive over a bump....clank, clank. I just called up Eibach and they said they were going to check and see if they have any tubing for me to use. If not, I'm just going to put some thin rubber tubing inbetween the top coils like jeremyp111 mentioned. I guess this will probably raise my ride height a little bit.

Last edited by Khaos; 08-12-05 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-31-05, 06:34 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

At first, it did raise the height a bit, but after a week or so it dropped back down a bit. It's still a little higher than it was before, but the noise is gone.
Old 08-11-05, 04:21 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is the part number for the rubber isolator/stopper that goes on top of the strut piston (not the pillowmount). Any idea how much it would cost for the ball sized piece of rubber?
Old 08-11-05, 04:57 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

i had the same problem in the rears. i went to hope depot and picked up these little hollow rubber stoppers for 67cents each. works pretty well so far.
Old 08-12-05, 09:23 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RaynArt
i had the same problem in the rears. i went to hope depot and picked up these little hollow rubber stoppers for 67cents each. works pretty well so far.
No kidding, HD sells them? I guess it doesn't have to be a perfect fit. Did you remove the spring from the strut to slide them on? Someone suggested just to cut it in half then zip tie it together to avoid having to redo all that work.

How come everyone experiencing them for the rear's only. It's my fronts that are having the problem. Is it necessary to spin the springs around so you would be able to read "Eibach." Eibach Tech guy said that's required for proper and equal height on each side.
Old 08-12-05, 02:21 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

dunno why exactly everyones noise is in the rear but its just common i guess. mine weren't an exact fit. i just took a razor blade to the rubber so i can just slide them onto the spring. all i had to do was take off my wheel so not a lot if any work at all.
Old 08-12-05, 05:03 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

My rear springs are behaving, where all the coils are apart from each other. I can't seem to see the top coils for the front, the tires are blocking it. Once I lift the car off w/ a jack, I can't gauge if they are touching or not. Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-05, 04:42 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RaynArt
I went to my local HD and I can't find any rubber stoppers. There are the hollow ones where you slip the leg ends of chairs or tables to and that's it. No solid rubber stoppers. Do you remember what aisle or section that sells them? I found vinly hose and it's perfect for the application. It black and the exact diameter of the springs. It's located in the plumbing section if someone wants to pick them up. I'm going to get them installed right now. I hope this fixes things.
Old 08-16-05, 05:01 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

I wrapped the rubber hoses on the lower springs on the front of my car. Still making the noise. It did however help it just a tad. I read Eibach will actually send you out the proper insulator for the springs?

I have the NA Supra springs on my car. Does anyone know if the spring rates are different from those of the TT Supra? I'm thinking the weight of the car is compressing it too much.
Old 08-17-05, 07:53 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i have supra intrax in the front on the lexus struts, they bottom out the struts on bumps (oops). Time for new struts

Quick Reply: Questions about Eibachs