Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clumping feeling when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 12:32 AM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clumping feeling when backing up

i have this hella nasty clumping feeling from the from of my car when backing up and hitting the brakes. could it be the engine mounts, control arms or just the brakes?????
Old 03-28-05, 06:37 AM
abdul10000
Driver

It could be all of them. Once the SC passes the 10 year mark it requires replacing all bushings (rubber). The clumping you mentioned maybe coming from the lower control arms. Try backing out in an open area where you don't need to use your breaks and see if you get the same noise. If not then it may be your breaks.
Old 03-28-05, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Many Toyota / Lexus products have calipers and pads that shift a slight amount on their mountings and hit their stops the first time you go into forward or reverse and hit the brake pedal. You usually hear a " clack " noise when it happens...and then the brakes are quiet until the next time you change direction.

I'm not sure if this is what you are hearing or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. Both myself and flipside909 have made a number of posts on this issue.
Old 04-13-05, 07:01 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

does it sound kinda like a rubber against metal grippy type sound? i've had this since i got the car. i have no idea what it is, but i don't think it should be doing it, lol. its only in reverse. it sounds like the brake is either on or off if that makes any sense. when in reverse, if i push the brake, it sounds like it....suction cups to the rotor, and makes a clunking sound. the rim also slightly moves. maybe i will take and host a small video clip of my car doing this. does it kinda sound like the problem your having though?
Old 04-13-05, 08:36 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
does it sound kinda like a rubber against metal grippy type sound? i've had this since i got the car. i have no idea what it is, but i don't think it should be doing it, lol. its only in reverse. it sounds like the brake is either on or off if that makes any sense. when in reverse, if i push the brake, it sounds like it....suction cups to the rotor, and makes a clunking sound. the rim also slightly moves. maybe i will take and host a small video clip of my car doing this. does it kinda sound like the problem your having though?
Sounds like worn lower arm bushes;

Test; Reverse slowly at about 3mph, on 3/4 steering lock, apply brakes firmly (hot hard, just enough to bring it to a halt). If you get a Kerlunk noise drive forward (again slowly) and apply the brakes firmly, if you get the Kerlunk noise again it will be bottom arm bushes, try it on both left and right lock.
Old 04-13-05, 09:02 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

not 100% sure what steering lock is, but i'll try it. just explain what steering lock is.
Old 04-13-05, 09:10 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
not 100% sure what steering lock is, but i'll try it. just explain what steering lock is.
Steering lock; Turning the wheel from one side to the other is your steering lock, 3/4 lock is turning it 3/4 distance from dead ahead to the left or right, ie, turn the wheel all the way till it stops and then back half a turn on the wheel would be about 3/4 lock.
Old 04-13-05, 09:29 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

gotcha. i thought steering lock was what happened when you turn the car off, and the wheel locks. but aight cool, i'll try that and let ya know what happens.
Old 04-14-05, 07:29 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

i was either doing it wrong, which i dunno how i would be.....or nothing is wrong.

it just felt normal......well normal besides the rubber on metal clunk-grip i always feel in reverse. hmmmm......