Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aggravating vibration, need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 10:13 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kilo is dead right... I have a sord of sticky claiper that will be replaced when
I upgrade to the LS4 set up .... ITs your rotors that are causing the vibration...
HAve your rotors ground down (cheap) and change your brake pads and i bet
the vibration is gone...
BTW... If the caliper is stickking .... the rotor will wear prematruely and the vibration will
come back...
Old 04-07-05, 05:10 AM
aasc300
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brakes are all o.k., I did all of the brakes myself not too long ago (replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors) I had a back caliper that was sticking but I repaired that. Just to be on the safe side, I checked all of that and they are not sticking and I am not getting any vibration when stopping. I am thinking it is either going to be the driveshaft or mounts causing the vibration. Hopefully I can figure it out quickly.
Old 04-07-05, 08:18 AM
Kilo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Kilo is dead right... I have a sord of sticky claiper that will be replaced when
I upgrade to the LS4 set up .... ITs your rotors that are causing the vibration...
HAve your rotors ground down (cheap) and change your brake pads and i bet
the vibration is gone...
BTW... If the caliper is stickking .... the rotor will wear prematruely and the vibration will
come back...
Silverspruce - I have a spare 'good' front driver caliper if you want a temp. replacement until get the LS brakes. Let me know if you want to pick em up.
Old 04-07-05, 01:12 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be one of many things...
-One of your caliper pistons locked up (one of those things that happen over time)
-Loose front end parts (wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints...etc) eps. since you have huge heavy wheels. Jack it up in the air and grab your wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock position and shake it back and forth, then grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and shake it, and post if either has any play, and I can help you from there. Also check teh rear for loose bearing play.
-Check your CV boots to make sure they are not torn
-Or could be something stupid like a loose wheel

Hope that helps
Old 04-07-05, 01:15 PM
aasc300
Advanced

I appreciate the help, I will let you know...
Old 04-07-05, 10:49 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Kilo... I might do that ....thanks bro
Old 04-15-05, 10:17 AM
aasc300
Advanced

Well, tomorrow I should have some time to work on the car finally. I have noticed one thing though. The vibration is worse when I am carrying a passenger in the passenger seat. Vibration is minimal when its just me in the car. Any ideas on that one?
Old 04-18-05, 05:19 PM
aasc300
Advanced

I was finally able to get the car on my lift today and I think I may have found the problem. My drivers side engine mount has got some pretty serious play in it and my other motor mount and transmission mount look like they could stand to be changed. I am going to try that and see what happens.
Old 04-21-05, 02:32 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aasc300
I was finally able to get the car on my lift today and I think I may have found the problem. My drivers side engine mount has got some pretty serious play in it and my other motor mount and transmission mount look like they could stand to be changed. I am going to try that and see what happens.
ever fix this problem?

I have the same issue
Old 04-22-05, 06:14 AM
aasc300
Advanced

Not yet, I have to order my new mounts and hopefully that will take care of my problem. I will post up as soon as I get this issue resolved.
Old 04-22-05, 10:30 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

when you put your car in neutral while at 55 mph does it go away?
Old 04-22-05, 11:30 AM
aasc300
Advanced

You know, I havent tried that yet but it sounds like a good idea. I am going to try that on my way home from work today.....
Old 04-28-05, 06:16 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aasc300
You know, I havent tried that yet but it sounds like a good idea. I am going to try that on my way home from work today.....
any results?

I put the car in neutral when I was going 65mph and the vibration went away.....
when I put the car back in drive (it gave me a jerk) it started vibrating again
Old 04-28-05, 06:57 AM
aasc300
Advanced

No change in mine when putting it into nuetral.... I did put the car on my lift with the front wheels on the rack and the rear jacked up by the lower control arms to get the rear tires off the rack. I accelerated the car to 55mph and the whole rear diff was shaking. The guibos look o.k. and so does the driveshaft center support as far as I can tell. I really dont know how much freeplay that center support is supposed to have though..... Any thoughts from anyone else? I know the left front engine mount is shot and the right front engine mount and tranny mount are on their ways out.
Old 04-28-05, 02:30 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

I've had this EXACT same problem. It is definitely a rear caliper that is occasionally sticking OR it's the parking brake. Nothing else will cause this kind of problem intermittently. When this happens, drive it a bit and pull the car over and go touch each rear wheel. One is going to be hotter than the other. That's your problem wheel. Check it out.

Quick Reply: Aggravating vibration, need help!!!!